IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

user940645936 says at 0:44:

bloody hell richard how come this one never came out!?!?!?
user18081971 says at 0:44:
@user940645936: well it was made before i released anything, by the time i released my first thing on mighty force i already had hundreds and hundreds of tracks, i had kinda stopped thinking about releasing any of them, just content with making them for me and my mates, big thanks to TOm Middleton as he really was the person that got the ball rolling and sorted out that first release. a good story coming…then when r & s called me back, well left a message at my sisters house as i didn’t have a phone, it totally stopped me dead in my tracks, i was like wtf, r&s called me ??? I had sent them a tape with about 6 tracks or something , not that many…
Renaat was a bit of a slippery fish, a player, i believe he thought he was doing the artists all a big favour when in reality it was the other way around, although he had the business brain so it worked both ways. He was like “mr richard” as thats what he used to call me, “how much do you want for Digeridoo?” I had about 100 £ in the bank and I was totally stuck for an answer, I said um I dunno.. He offered me £1000k advance which wasnt bad i suppose back then. I immediately left my microelectronics engineering degree course at Kingston uni, my mates all thought i was mad, i was like cya , good fucking luck, I’m outta here!
THEN shortly afterwards Colin Favor called me up, he was THE big dj from Kiss FM London, UK and said did I want to put it out on his label Rabbit city! So I remember this really weird horrible feeling not knowing what to do, I went to meet Colin, he answered the door wearing dark sunglasses and all bruised up face ,he looked like he been beaten up, he said he was in a car crash? hmmm This was 1992, so i was 21.
anyway he told me how Rennat was not to be trusted and said why don’t i release it on both and grab the dosh from r&s in true london gangster style… I thought about it for about 1 minute and agreed! Afterwards I thought what the fuck am i doing, Ive just landed the best deal ever and and made me an amazing new ‘friend’ Renaat and now I’m going to fuck him over immediately !
I just believed Colin [as DODGY as he looked ] and went for it. Got paid twice..&2 uberace labels :) Then came the horrible moment Just before R&s was about to release digeridoo ep when Renaat called me saying “Mr richard, what is this rabbit city white label?” “ah…yeah…um..dunnoo..whats that?” ha in hindsight I did the right thing because I could sense Rennaat was well fly and thought id fucking flyhim right back in his cocky Belgian mush, gotta smile..
Apparently Rennat bought loads of copies of the rabbit city up, not sure if thats true.. So it came out on Rabbit city, then R&S , then outer rhythm licensed it for the uk again from R&S and it got to the top 50 in the charts after probably selling around 20-30k copies ! then it sold about the same again!
Have to mention it but Colin Favor was the ONLY person in my life so far who gave me back the metal masters from the pressing plant ! So I’ve still got them and they look AMAZING, he did it so i would trust him not to repress it on the sly, dude! thanks Colin!
+++and there’s more, so recently I’ve been in touch with Dev from Paradox who is probably my fave drum programmer in the stratisverse and he told me that the exact Kiss fm show that Colin Favour first aired my didgeridoo , dev got the first radio airing of his tracks! So amazing, he remembers coz mine was on before, I didn’t remember him being on it coz i stopped recording after dig got played! So that show was a catalyst for both of us .
I had my fair share of problems with r&s which i won’t go into but we have now reached an agreement and are friends, kind of.. Renaat, hope your treating artists the way they deserve now mate! Massive respect to Renaat, gotta love that guy, he’s made some banging tunes as well like this one!, which a lot of people don’t realise. www.discogs.com/Mantrax-Scarlet-C…cus/release/26631
Lastly before I got upset by r&s I sent them a c90 tape in excitement that they wanted to release my stuff and i FILLED it with my best tracks at the time and he never got it! phew , phew I was so relieved, coz as soon as i posted it off I wanted to get it back, I wonder where that tape ended up???? anyway hope that answers your question :)

I wonder which tracks were on that tape.

I wonder which of those tracks ended up being released elsewhere, and of course am curious about the ones that didn't get released... wonder if some have made it here already.

Guest murphythecat8

ZsJItdZ.png

Call me cray cray but I still don't believe him :)

me 2

Has this Tamclap2 description always been there? If so, I apologise. Only now noticing it.

2nd version of this track.

i used to originally like this 1 better but i just like both now

Also in my top 10 of all my stuff, i keep thinking i released it..

Pretty cool how he regards it as one of his favourite tracks. It's definitely in my top 5 Soundcloud tunes.

yeah, tamclap is in my top 10 of SC. so playful!

user940645936 says at 0:44:

bloody hell richard how come this one never came out!?!?!?

user18081971 says at 0:44:

@user940645936: well it was made before i released anything, by the time i released my first thing on mighty force i already had hundreds and hundreds of tracks, i had kinda stopped thinking about releasing any of them, just content with making them for me and my mates, big thanks to TOm Middleton as he really was the person that got the ball rolling and sorted out that first release. a good story comingthen when r & s called me back, well left a message at my sisters house as i didnt have a phone, it totally stopped me dead in my tracks, i was like wtf, r&s called me ??? I had sent them a tape with about 6 tracks or something , not that many

Renaat was a bit of a slippery fish, a player, i believe he thought he was doing the artists all a big favour when in reality it was the other way around, although he had the business brain so it worked both ways. He was like mr richard as thats what he used to call me, how much do you want for Digeridoo? I had about 100 £ in the bank and I was totally stuck for an answer, I said um I dunno.. He offered me £1000k advance which wasnt bad i suppose back then. I immediately left my microelectronics engineering degree course at Kingston uni, my mates all thought i was mad, i was like cya , good fucking luck, Im outta here!

THEN shortly afterwards Colin Favor called me up, he was THE big dj from Kiss FM London, UK and said did I want to put it out on his label Rabbit city! So I remember this really weird horrible feeling not knowing what to do, I went to meet Colin, he answered the door wearing dark sunglasses and all bruised up face ,he looked like he been beaten up, he said he was in a car crash? hmmm This was 1992, so i was 21.

anyway he told me how Rennat was not to be trusted and said why dont i release it on both and grab the dosh from r&s in true london gangster style I thought about it for about 1 minute and agreed! Afterwards I thought what the fuck am i doing, Ive just landed the best deal ever and and made me an amazing new friend Renaat and now Im going to fuck him over immediately !

I just believed Colin [as DODGY as he looked ] and went for it. Got paid twice..&2 uberace labels :) Then came the horrible moment Just before R&s was about to release digeridoo ep when Renaat called me saying Mr richard, what is this rabbit city white label? ahyeahum..dunnoo..whats that? ha in hindsight I did the right thing because I could sense Rennaat was well fly and thought id fucking flyhim right back in his cocky Belgian mush, gotta smile..

Apparently Rennat bought loads of copies of the rabbit city up, not sure if thats true.. So it came out on Rabbit city, then R&S , then outer rhythm licensed it for the uk again from R&S and it got to the top 50 in the charts after probably selling around 20-30k copies ! then it sold about the same again!

Have to mention it but Colin Favor was the ONLY person in my life so far who gave me back the metal masters from the pressing plant ! So Ive still got them and they look AMAZING, he did it so i would trust him not to repress it on the sly, dude! thanks Colin!

+++and theres more, so recently Ive been in touch with Dev from Paradox who is probably my fave drum programmer in the stratisverse and he told me that the exact Kiss fm show that Colin Favour first aired my didgeridoo , dev got the first radio airing of his tracks! So amazing, he remembers coz mine was on before, I didnt remember him being on it coz i stopped recording after dig got played! So that show was a catalyst for both of us .

I had my fair share of problems with r&s which i wont go into but we have now reached an agreement and are friends, kind of.. Renaat, hope your treating artists the way they deserve now mate! Massive respect to Renaat, gotta love that guy, hes made some banging tunes as well like this one!, which a lot of people dont realise. www.discogs.com/Mantrax-Scarlet-Ccus/release/26631

Lastly before I got upset by r&s I sent them a c90 tape in excitement that they wanted to release my stuff and i FILLED it with my best tracks at the time and he never got it! phew , phew I was so relieved, coz as soon as i posted it off I wanted to get it back, I wonder where that tape ended up???? anyway hope that answers your question :)

cool story bro

for real :biggrin:

I genuinely enjoyed reading that!

Interesting to read how that all unfolded, it would have been good to know how he went on with R&S to put out the xylem tube ep with that doubt in the back of his mind. With a bit of luck they'll work out something incredible for that SAW 85-92 repress with bonus material he mentioned he'd like to do.

Not posted a lot in this thread, but what an epic journey this has been! It almost tops the Tomorrow's Harvest viral campaign. ;)

Oh how I'd wish Boards of Canada would do something similar with their archive... a man can dream?

PS: Hi Rich! I love your tunes! Especially Ibiza Spliff, boccy vibes! ;)

sosw2 playlist is amazing, those are a lot of my favorites and back-up favorites and favorites I didn't know were favorites :) I also love the rave vibe, that early 90s innocence and optimism, but with the aphex variation. So is Richard actually thinking of releasing a 36 track album??

sosw2 playlist is amazing, those are a lot of my favorites and back-up favorites and favorites I didn't know were favorites :) I also love the rave vibe, that early 90s innocence and optimism, but with the aphex variation. So is Richard actually thinking of releasing a 36 track album??

I'm pretty sure he wants to omit some. Basically render down that list to album length. That's how I took it anyway.

Not posted a lot in this thread, but what an epic journey this has been! It almost tops the Tomorrow's Harvest viral campaign. ;)

Oh how I'd wish Boards of Canada would do something similar with their archive... a man can dream?

i think this is infinitely better than that viral campaign! that campaign ended with a video of the last track of the album and a preorder. this is 17 hours of music and counting!

:emotawesomepm9:

Edited by jules

Anyone else having a hard time accessing the SC page? it keeps telling me that the user doesn't exist!! :( but then sometimes it works and then freezes

Edited by ZmillA

Anyone else having a hard time accessing the SC page? it keeps telling me that the user doesn't exist!! :( but then sometimes it works and then freezes

Yeah, I can't play his tracks too. He's gone again, maybe?

Edited by Consul

i think this is infinitely better than that viral campaign! that campaign ended with a video of the last track of the album and a preorder. this is 17 hours of music and counting!

:emotawesomepm9:

And some great interactions with the biggest troll in the music business.

Yeah, I can't play his tracks too. He's gone again, maybe?

Don't worry i think the whole site is half broken, Mike P is off and on and I can't even see who i'm following at all

'to all the people asking me for money, music or all the other things, or attacking me for my beliefs, please be nice, ive just got quite a lot of vile messages from people,
thyre in the minority compared to all the positive messages but still pretty brutal to read, look im sorry if people have died etc, dont take it out on me, im risking getting sued by doing this anyhow.
I had to take this down once already, really dont want to do it again, a lot of people are getting a lot of pleasure from this so dont fuck them all off . be nice , be nice.to all the people asking me for money, music or all the other things, or attacking me for my beliefs, please be nice, ive just got quite a lot of vile messages from people,
thyre in the minority compared to all the positive messages but still pretty brutal to read, look im sorry if people have died etc, dont take it out on me, im risking getting sued by doing this anyhow.
I had to take this down once already, really dont want to do it again, a lot of people are getting a lot of pleasure from this so dont fuck them all off . be nice , be nice.'

added to his profile message

Edited by Jaffa

'to all the people asking me for money, music or all the other things, or attacking me for my beliefs, please be nice, ive just got quite a lot of vile messages from people,

I had to take this down once already, really dont want to do it again, a lot of people are getting a lot of pleasure from this so dont fuck them all off . be nice , be nice.to all the people asking me for money, music or all the other things, or attacking me for my beliefs, please be nice, ive just got quite a lot of vile messages from people,

I had to take this down once already, really dont want to do it again, a lot of people are getting a lot of pleasure from this so dont fuck them all off . be nice , be nice.'

added to his profile message

Yikes - and this is why we grab the downloads when we can people!