IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

I've given organ another listen and it sounds much newer than the come to daddy ep.

It sounds subdued as though it's not mastered, like some of the syro stuff from the syrobonkers interview.

definitely the newest of all the tracks

Edited by StephenG

I've given organ another listen and it sounds much newer than the come to daddy ep.

It sounds subdued as though it's not mastered, like some of the syro stuff from the syrobonkers interview.

naw, i dunno. sounds flimmy to me

Guest crowndicey

I don't know, I mean I hear a lot of similarity to say To Cure A Weakling Child. Then again on first impression. I immediately thought maybe in between CTD and Drukqs, Does have very Tuss-ish elements though. It's an oddball for sure, but it's amazing, whenever it was made.

I don't know, I mean I hear a lot of similarity to say To Cure A Weakling Child. Then again on first impression. I immediately thought maybe in between CTD and Drukqs, Does have very Tuss-ish elements though. It's an oddball for sure, but it's amazing, whenever it was made.

I agree with you actually, heard it a few times now. It seems to be somewhere in between those eras.

Who is this? Richard seems to be following him/her.

https://soundcloud.com/somadril

trying to figure that out myself. It sounds really familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Weird that both aphex offical + richard upload account are both following.

Edited by StephenG

Who is this? Richard seems to be following him/her.

https://soundcloud.com/somadril

trying to figure that out myself. It sounds really familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Weird that both aphex offical + richard upload account are both following.

Well, in some tracks, in the comments section, people call him Mart.

EDIT: ...take a look at this! (Wonder if it's RDJ or some other James)

6MDkkE7.jpg

Edited by Consul

Interesting, completely missed that before...

who IS this guy?

and does he mean James, or ..... Richard James... lol

James IS a common name

Edited by StephenG

Guest crowndicey

Ya know, I'm trying to be real cautious with enthusiasm with this whole thing, because what we've got already is incredible, but I really don't see anything preventing this from turning into 400+ tracks like that embedded ID tag suggested. I don't even know how to deal with this. I mean it's out of control. It's like, I've been listening to this dude for years, have this identity of him built up over the course of them through this music, and in 3 days it's almost completely obliterated (not in a bad way). I really think when all is said and done this is going to take me a few years to completely grasp the scope of. Also, as far as I know nothing like this has been done quite like this in contemporary music. This is the kind of shit that estates of dead musicians drag out over the course of a decade, milking the album and a half of unreleased material they found for everything they can get out of it, and this dude just says take it all. This is definitely a milestone in my musical life.

Guest kymppinetti

who IS this guy?

James IS a common name

Could he be that guy who did syrobonkers with aphex?

Guest crowndicey

who IS this guy?

James IS a common name

http://www.last.fm/music/James+Shaw/_/3+Pin+Din+%28Somadril+Remix%29

Perhaps this James Shaw character?

EDIT: Oh wow he's involved with Broken Social Scene and Metric.

Edited by crowndicey

Ya know, I'm trying to be real cautious with enthusiasm with this whole thing, because what we've got already is incredible, but I really don't see anything preventing this from turning into 400+ tracks like that embedded ID tag suggested. I don't even know how to deal with this. I mean it's out of control. It's like, I've been listening to this dude for years, have this identity of him built up over the course of them through this music, and in 3 days it's almost completely obliterated (not in a bad way). I really think when all is said and done this is going to take me a few years to completely grasp the scope of. Also, as far as I know nothing like this has been done quite like this in contemporary music. This is the kind of shit that estates of dead musicians drag out over the course of a decade, milking the album and a half of unreleased material they found for everything they can get out of it, and this dude just says take it all. This is definitely a milestone in my musical life.

That's why I asked how many officially released tunes he has. Rough estimate gets me to something between 300 and 400..?.?

If we really get 400+ new tracks to digest.. That changes perception quite a bit.

Guest crowndicey

That's why I asked how many officially released tunes he has. Rough estimate gets me to something between 300 and 400..?.?

If we really get 400+ new tracks to digest.. That changes perception quite a bit.

YEAH, it's insane. Like, you're entire basis on this artist is due to the music he has produced over the years, and in a week or so's time you're going to get that same quantity of stuff you haven't heard? It's obscenely awesome, and challenging. Mainly awesome though.

I'd like to think that Richard is doing this in part because he may be actively interested in properly releasing some old, still unheard gems, properly.

This could be his his way of organizing everything he has and putting aside all of the stuff that he hasn't put out, but wants to, while he's posting all of the rest... the leftovers that still pass as perfectly good tracks, but don't meet his standards.

He recently said something like he was going through a "cataloguing" or "organizing" phase. I'm thinking this may mean some future releases of some serious quality shit that he put on the top of the pile, instead of posting to Soundcloud.

Maybe re-organizing things is like a cathartic experience and releases those things from the mind so you can move on and do more things. I hope so

But even if not, he just gave us an extra half of the entire Aphex Twin name discog worth of material. There is under 16h of official Aphex Twin music and this is like 8?

jesus

richard you are amazing

Edited by Zeffolia

I'd like to think that Richard is doing this in part because he may be actively interested in properly releasing some old, still unheard gems, properly.

This could be his his way of organizing everything he has and putting aside all of the stuff that he hasn't put out, but wants to, while he's posting all of the rest... the leftovers that still pass as perfectly good tracks, but don't meet his standards.

He recently said something like he was going through a "cataloguing" or "organizing" phase. I'm thinking this may mean some future releases of some serious quality shit that he put on the top of the pile, instead of posting to Soundcloud.

That actually makes a ton of sense.

He's going through old dats.

Gives away the ones he thinks are worth giving away, simultaneously drumming up hype about his old tunes.

Finds the gems.

Releases the gems as an official release.

Am I following you right?

Red Calx sounds like a 33rpm track plaid at 45rpm.

Regardless though, I really hope for more sawII era stuff. Post95 is awesome as well... But..o whatever. This is awesome. I hope an official boxset of these tracks is on the way as well. But there hasn't been a statement from Warp, even though I would have thought they'd put a piece linking to this soundcloud on their front page. As it's basically free marketing for his entire back catalogue. Or perhaps they're scared it'll hurt sales? (Which I'm pretty sure will not be the case) Feels like they're clueless perhaps?