IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

I'd like to think that Richard is doing this in part because he may be actively interested in properly releasing some old, still unheard gems, properly.

This could be his his way of organizing everything he has and putting aside all of the stuff that he hasn't put out, but wants to, while he's posting all of the rest... the leftovers that still pass as perfectly good tracks, but don't meet his standards.

He recently said something like he was going through a "cataloguing" or "organizing" phase. I'm thinking this may mean some future releases of some serious quality shit that he put on the top of the pile, instead of posting to Soundcloud.

That actually makes a ton of sense.

He's going through old dats.

Gives away the ones he thinks are worth giving away, simultaneously drumming up hype about his old tunes.

Finds the gems.

Releases the gems as an official release.

Am I following you right?

Yeah. I'd also imagine this process is giving him a ton of inspiration. What I find remarkable is that these are all COMPLETE SONGS. Not just fragments.

I'm sure he's coming across a ton of unfinished ideas or experiments (that he isn't planning to upload, for one reason or another) that he either repurposed at some point or was intending to expand on, but never did.

Who knows, maybe he'll be able to draw from some of it now, given new perspective.

Remember the "New Release Speculation Based On Facts We Have" thread? Lolol

Weve all gone from desperate and praying to overwhelmed, giddy and euphoric in a matter of months.

Remember all the skeptics / unbelievers and the diehard believers regarding new afx? Those days are over (: ... At least for the next 3 yrs.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Weve all gone from desperate and praying to overwhelmed, giddy and euphoric in a matter of months.

Yeah that mindset that the forum was in then is pretty far removed from today's.

good times!

Ya know, I'm trying to be real cautious with enthusiasm with this whole thing, because what we've got already is incredible, but I really don't see anything preventing this from turning into 400+ tracks like that embedded ID tag suggested. I don't even know how to deal with this. I mean it's out of control. It's like, I've been listening to this dude for years, have this identity of him built up over the course of them through this music, and in 3 days it's almost completely obliterated (not in a bad way).

have you seen Inside Llewyn Davis? There is a scene in it that keeps reminding me of what's happening right now. Any artist with an ounce of an ego knows what releasing a bunch of your unreleased/unfinished works could do to the perception of you as an artist. you're right though, this is totally unprecedented.

I hope an official boxset of these tracks is on the way as well. But there hasn't been a statement from Warp, even though I would have thought they'd put a piece linking to this soundcloud on their front page. As it's basically free marketing for his entire back catalogue. Or perhaps they're scared it'll hurt sales? (Which I'm pretty sure will not be the case)

While I don't disagree with what you're saying, I also wouldn't be shocked if there was - literally - steam billowing from Steve Beckett's ears right now over this..

I hope an official boxset of these tracks is on the way as well. But there hasn't been a statement from Warp, even though I would have thought they'd put a piece linking to this soundcloud on their front page. As it's basically free marketing for his entire back catalogue. Or perhaps they're scared it'll hurt sales? (Which I'm pretty sure will not be the case)

While I don't disagree with what you're saying, I also wouldn't be shocked if there was - literally - steam billowing from Steve Beckett's ears right now over this..

Anyone who isn't absolutely ecstatic over this and isn't camping f5 but instead is thinking "Damnit why did he do this shit, hes costing us money" should go sit on a pencil

Lol in my mind a few days ago, when I saw "18 With My Family" then "1 nocares" uploaded I got a scene in my mind of some Warp executive calling up richard to see what the fuck he's doing, then rich laughing and hanging up and uploading those two.

Edited by Zeffolia

Many many trax are awesome but i still thinks, even if i didnt listen to those new trax enough - and time will tell - that the originals (masterpieces) recordings were better.

One thing i really like with AFX is the "selected" part in albums like SAW85-92 or SAW II. Wicked that all of this is soundcloud.

As far as I can tell 50 tracks were posted yesterday, and then another five in the wee hours of this morrning. Must have been a hard day for user48736353001!

Guest progben

Many many trax are awesome but i still thinks, even if i didnt listen to those new trax enough - and time will tell - that the originals (masterpieces) recordings were better.

One thing i really like with AFX is the "selected" part in albums like SAW85-92 or SAW II. Wicked that all of this is soundcloud.

I think it represents such a shift though, 'the death of the artist' almost. Before he selected what he liked most, and now he's passing that choice to us. Magic

shit, i wake up and user 487363530001 posted 50 more tracks,

101 tunes !

i think RDJ is now officially the most prolific artist on earth, if we count this and his former discography

good times!

yah fuck. i thought we were going to die wihtout hearing new afx. jeez

notch should be loosing his shit too

notch-beverly-hills-mansion_1920.0.0.jpg

is that his house? fucking hell some bits look like minecraft

where is japan from? It sounds really familiar..

Isn't it the Soft Ballet remix?

might be? can't remember what that is, love the track anyways

edit: sline!!! :D

Edited by MIXL2