IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Is it just me or is the soundcloud account and this forum slowly turning into a conspiracy theory hub?

Keep ur politics out of my music (especially my electronic music)!

just saying, I have concerns

Fuck man, get a sense of humor , lol

well I made u lol so looks like I'm not far off

could someone tell me where that title 5 Mp2 is between other titles as it does not face them in soundloud... Thanks!

user18081971

18/08/1971

hey if you click that link you just posted it will take you to a soundcloud page run by none other than aphex twin himself believe it or not

he's been uploading unreleased tracks there, check it out

have you ever heard of this guy called aphex twin? he makes nice musics, sometimes with acid

you can play those tracks by pressing the big orange play buttons. after clicking the play buttons you can hear music if you have any speakers or headphones plugged in

Yes, but where is, chronologically, the title "5 Mp2" of this page soundcloud???

Someone can help me? :emb:

Man, the downloadable versions of the latest batch sound so much better (to me) than the re-encoded streams. I'm really enjoying tsim 2 and fogbeak and hoping ibiza spliff and cornish spreek5b are not too far behind!

yeah a lot of fogbeak's detail comes out in the 320

could someone tell me where that title 5 Mp2 is between other titles as it does not face them in soundloud... Thanks!

user18081971

18/08/1971

hey if you click that link you just posted it will take you to a soundcloud page run by none other than aphex twin himself believe it or not

have you ever heard of this guy called aphex twin? he makes nice musics, sometimes with acid

you can play those tracks by pressing the big orange play buttons. after clicking the play buttons you can hear music if you have any speakers or headphones plugged in

Yes, but where is, chronologically, the title "5 Mp2" of this page soundcloud???

i dont have a file with that name. you sure its afx?

Edited by very honest

Guest bitroast

it's true!!

having the tracks streamable (and downloadable.. in 128 hehe) is nice , by all means!!

but there really is something rather flat and fuzzy about the sc compressions and it's always instantly noticeable when listening to the 320s for the first time.

downloads, pls :cattears:

it's true!!

having the tracks streamable (and downloadable.. in 128 hehe) is nice , by all means!!

but there really is something rather flat and fuzzy about the sc compressions and it's always instantly noticeable when listening to the 320s for the first time.

It's a lower bitrate re-encoding of the original mp3 upload so it's not going to sound as good as it could, unfortunately. But no one could expect him to upload everything in .wav or .aif...

Guest beatgunk1

it's true!!

It's a lower bitrate re-encoding of the original mp3 upload so it's not going to sound as good as it could, unfortunately. But no one could expect him to upload everything in .wav or .aif...

I recall that he did post a comment that he used VBR mp3s for some tracks because the internet was slow back in the day? or maybe small hard drive capacity? some1 pls confirm if I'm right

320s from original source are hardly distinguishable from the original source, though, unless you change the sampling rate to a lower one. I don't use FLAC because I don't hear the difference (tested with ABX tests). Your mileage may very though...

As for soundcloud 128s, I think they use an older version of LAME since with 3.99.5 I can easily make 128s sound better than that, and without the annoying drop-out thingies on hihats or noisy snare drums... Shame on you, SC

user18081971

18/08/1971

That one got renamed to 5. 36 clissold crescent [above the kitchen]

all of the most recent download-enabled tracks have frequency cutoffs around 15-16kHz so there's basically no difference between the streaming and download versions except the downloaded versions aren't bad transcodes... anyway nerdy stuff

Guest beatgunk1

all of the most recent download-enabled tracks have frequency cutoffs around 15-16kHz so there's basically no difference between the streaming and download versions except the downloaded versions aren't bad transcodes... anyway nerdy stuff

RDJ at some point used long play mode on his DATs (32 khz sampling rate, corresponds to 16khz freq response)

yeah I never noticed much difference but sometimes the noisy hihats and snares, ohh fuk

Edited by beatgunk1

user18081971

18/08/1971

That one got renamed to 5. 36 clissold crescent [above the kitchen]

Thanks Man! Cool! i love you! great, can delete it now!

I've been lurking around here for months now, so it's really beyond time to say hi and thanks to everyone in here for a really entertaining few months so far. I'm completely overwhelmed at the amount of new music and how to digest it and only when I went to think about making playlists did I realize just how much effort some people have put into tagging etc. Fair play to all of ye.

So in other words there's "basically no difference between the streaming and download versions" except the streaming versions have additional generation losses that make them audibly worse than the MP3s he uploaded regardless of what their quality was.

RDJ at some point used long play mode on his DATs (32 khz sampling rate, corresponds to 16khz freq response)

yeah I never noticed much difference but sometimes the noisy hihats and snares, ohh fuk

i always thought dats were recorded at 48khz most of the time

LOL@sini

Is it me, or wasn't RDJ's sarcasm-meter up to speed at that point in time?

Please tell me he used the tricksy double psychology option to sarcastically pretend to not understand what was going on.

LOL@sini

Please tell me he used the tricksy double psychology option to sarcastically pretend to not understand what was going on.

Just his way of describing the sinimoticon :sini:

Guest beatgunk1

i always thought dats were recorded at 48khz most of the time

MOST of the time.

also don't forget that some tracks on SC were sourced from analog cassettes which also have a fairly low frequency response, and they age with time

I've been lurking around here for months now, so it's really beyond time to say hi and thanks to everyone in here for a really entertaining few months so far. I'm completely overwhelmed at the amount of new music and how to digest it and only when I went to think about making playlists did I realize just how much effort some people have put into tagging etc. Fair play to all of ye.

Welcome Irish fella.

LOL@sini

I've seen alot of ways of making out RDJ "has got it" but this is a reach beyond, mate

im assuming people are aware of this?

http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/aphex-twin-puts-more-than-200-free-songs-online.html

not following this thread super super closely so forgive me if its a dupe

Wow. Incredible journalism job there. Complete and utter bullshit.

Those tracks are basically what this thread is about. The two hundred tracks are the ones on Soundcloud, not additional ones. Unless you just meant to point out that he (or someone) put them up on Mega...

Anyway, the thread is an interesting read. You can 'relive' the excitement WATMM had through the days.