IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

been chatting with afx on sc about this - relevant bits of what he said regarding voting/a release. that said, i'm fairly convinced he at least lurks here (he hasn't said that but given WATMM's involvement with the caustic window release et al, I'd say it's a safe bet, so hi rich :)

and yes, i am already implementing this how he suggested (except more like ~top ~20 or so tracks, voting can be changed/updated at any time and it updates as tracks are uploaded, and i'll leave it up for a long time... fingers crossed we're seeing many more tracks!).

will get back to coding :)

hi , thanks, nice1
you think those SC stats are representative though?
People also chnge their mind about what they like I think.
I was thinking something like you have 5 votes or something and you can change those 5 votes when you like.
I dont know how many pieces of vinyl ill release yet of it.
Its quite a lot of work becuase Ill have to re-encode everything as all the files ive got that were uploaded to SC can be done a lot better +mastered by myself and with some help, IF the DAT's /cassettes still work!
It will give me a good basis for compiling something, i wont compile it exactly as people have voted, just use it as strong start to compiling it myself .

these stas are kinda useful for me but main problem is people go off tracks, change their mind etc, I know I do.
So I think a dynamic one would be best, whereby you could change your votes.
I also know people would be biased by looking at the stats so not sure the usefullness of it tbh
Would do cd as well
Would just be very useful for me, [i had my friends help me decide in the past now it's loads of fan's, ace!]
as a basis of where to start and also probably put some other unreleased ones that I didnt put on SC also

Maybe I can credit all the people who help by voting in the artwork :)

ALso I intend to leave any polls that may be created up for as long as possible to allow people to digest but no harm in starting now if its dynamic.

i'm also probably going to spend a little longer on this if this will be a long running poll (i want to grab data over time, not just a simple vote, plus display it appropriately) so this might be a few days mre work now than something quick i'll chuck up tonight.

if you're keen on providing feedback, PM me, i'll shoot some of you early versions for your input. i'd paste the link in here but i'd be worried people will start voting early - just keen to get the tracks displayed in a way that allows for minimal bias on voting.

the experimental side of this is honestly a strong part of the allure. if the end result isn't too terrible i'll probably open source this and chuck it up on github to be used for other soundcloud artists - be interesting to see if other artists follow suit after this aphex thing (i.e. release a bunch of old tracks, have fans vote on a release).

i can change the numbers too, 20 seems about right to make a selection for a double-CD/four-vinyl style release, but i'd argue there's *easily* far more than 20 strong tracks. any input/ideas appreciated :)

don't want to over-complicate this though, the voting should be pretty simple/straight forward to do

suggested to afx perhaps we do the voting based on a playlist he sets up (i.e. the AFX selekta playlist) so he has some control over what we vote for... probably makes a list far more manageable, but maybe he's curious whether we're all nuts about a track he doesn't personally rate so highly?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

been chatting with afx on sc about this

lol, all casual, as you do :)

Yeah this is awesome, nice one dude

That is superb xf.

So anyway, kind of linked and further to my previous post which has got lost in this voting malarkey.

As I have been listening to all of these soundcloud tracks I have been sorting them into favourites and other (non-favourites if you like) Has anyone else done something similar - I have 137 favourites and 92 I am not so keen on. Are there posters here who just like them all? Hard to like that Catarrh one or shit smothered really isn't it?

Guest bitroast

i don't know if i could handle just 5 votes. 10 votes please !!! too many good tracks and i would probably try to manipulate my 5 votes by not voting my favourite tracks out of assumption that they're already been voted on ??

the experimental side of this is honestly a strong part of the allure. if the end result isn't too terrible i'll probably open source this and chuck it up on github to be used for other soundcloud artists - be interesting to see if other artists follow suit after this aphex thing (i.e. release a bunch of old tracks, have fans vote on a release).

i can change the numbers too, 20 seems about right to make a selection for a double-CD/four-vinyl style release, but i'd argue there's *easily* far more than 20 strong tracks. any input/ideas appreciated :)

don't want to over-complicate this though, the voting should be pretty simple/straight forward to do

suggested to afx perhaps we do the voting based on a playlist he sets up (i.e. the AFX selekta playlist) so he has some control over what we vote for... probably makes a list far more manageable, but maybe he's curious whether we're all nuts about a track he doesn't personally rate so highly?

Maybe the other tracks which don't make it in the top 20 could be sent to the buyers of the vinyl/cd as bonus downloads (as happened with the Analord series). If of course he feels like going through these extra tracks for that reason only...

Nice one xf, seems like the ball is well and truly rolling. Anyway, all I know is if Lannerlush Full, Ibiza Spliff & Medieval Rave don't make the cut, I will be burning effigy's of y'all come November 5th.

nies werk xf ...

had to log back in to state that, even though it gives me the same mental feedback that you would get when you break a diet or don't exercise that day. legendary work son.

i don't know if i could handle just 5 votes. 10 votes please !!! too many good tracks and i would probably try to manipulate my 5 votes by not voting my favourite tracks out of assumption that they're already been voted on ??

yea, not sure i can pick 5 out of 227 (and counting) tracks!

I decided to keep the soundcloud tracks on Mega, and keep copies of the playlists organised there.
Here's a link if anyone is interested in pulling the playlists in one go. I don't have them #'d in their playlist order though. The manifest file in there should be the order if interested.
https://mega.co.nz/#F!3xonwSBa!kAPmsJpfySDYDNvcH2Kj8g

Yeah, awesome stuff, thank you for taking this up and getting things organised, sounds like you've got it well in hand

I love that Rich likes that the fans are choosing the tunes to go on a release :)

Yeah, narrowing it down to 5 would be a fucking mission. There are so many of these beauties I'd love to have remastered.

10 or 15 seems like a good shout.

Just had a quick scroll down the tracks and it looks like he's been going through them making likes and plays visible? There's still the odd one that has the stats hidden but looks like xf's project could be a goer for the poll

Mad to see Utopia, the 1st track, has 260k plays compared to most others 15-40k. Bloody tourists popping in for a gander and wandering back the way they came I suppose.

Also the fact the account has 66k followers but the majority of tracks have under 40k plays, meaning half of the followers either aren't listening to most of the tracks or are just getting the "all in one" zip files. Not really important I suppose, just an observation.

Utopia is one of the best tracks still

Also - very exciting stuff xf

Edited by atypic

What if instead of 5 or 10 or X votes, people got to vote for 60 (or whichever amount) minutes of music?

So you could vote [theorically] for throatie or shit smothred and have 59 minutes of vote left, or vote for mushroom (8th dimension) and then you'd have 39 minutes left . Probably complicated to implement, just throwing that idea out here.