IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

so do we all just chime in with our top 5 in this thread and they will be counted?

I only put up a quick top 5 because other posters were discussing how difficult it would be, but it appears to have started a chain reaction that'll probably end up wiping out civilization before the maniton can finish his work on the poll. Sorry about that guys. WTF does maniton even mean anyway?

so do we all just chime in with our top 5 in this thread and they will be counted?

I only put up a quick top 5 because other posters were discussing how difficult it would be, but it appears to have started a chain reaction that'll probably end up wiping out civilization before the maniton can finish his work on the poll. Sorry about that guys. WTF does maniton even mean anyway?

the most appaling thing is that almost nobody seemed to have voted for Dulcimer Dub or Tsim 2

man selecting just 5 is too hard, going to await a proper voting thing

this is all unnecessary anxiety lol, almost impossible to choose top 5 tracks out of 200+tracks, i guess when the compilation cd comes out ill buy it but im happy with what we have, everything else is a bonus and all the logistic and voting ill leave to someone else

It is too difficult to reduce to a top 5 right now but I'd have a top 10 of:

4 ACH

5 Acid Misc

14 Make A Baby

35 Japan //(I don't own the Soft Ballet cd)//

4 Red Calx (slo)

7 lsb (slo)

15 Sekonda

24 Tsim 2

3 Slothscrape

36 natalie, jane, me, hawke (imperial ring)

the most appaling thing is that almost nobody seemed to have voted for Dulcimer Dub or Tsim 2

I completely agree on Tsim 2. That one is a fixed for me!

I could be wrong, but I don't think Cheetah3 would be in the final selection for release. Big picture here is, the majority of the final market is not from WATMM, and so the release will have to have some album-like cohesiveness, which I think iis totally possible from the soundcloud tracks. Imagine this in a record store, and how it will be judged as an album

I still think that having a maximum number of votes will impair the process.

The more people who vote, the better the data. Therefore the threshold of participation needs to be as low as possible. The less deliberation for the voter, the better. If I'll have to pick X amount out of the 200+, I'll never be able to land my decision. Also take into account that some people will only listen to ten or twenty tracks, and they may have a favourite or two. Forcing them to pick five top tracks will only skew the data.

Anyway, RDJ said himself that the votes will only be a starting point, so this is only for guidance anyway.

Can't believe he even suggested putting the people's names that voted on the album art. So cool to even suggest.

part of me doesn't fully understand why this would need to be narrowed down in any way. Look no further than the label Vinyl On Demand who specializes in massively inflated vinyl box sets. Surely Warp is capable of something comprehensive like this? Why is everybody saying 'mastering 200 tracks is an impossible task' its not at all, mastering engineers work fairly quickly they just like being paid a lot (and that would cost a lot of money but money that can easily be made back in profit). I am opposed to the idea of making a 'best of' thing here, i think the only way to do this justice would be a fully comprehensive and continuing vinyl series with an indefinite end. It could even be a subscription services you buy into from the beginning to offset all these costs. If Warp doesn't have the willpower or time to focus on a project of this magnitude, they should pass it onto someone who does (like vinyl on demand)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

part of me doesn't fully understand why this would need to be narrowed down in any way. Look no further than the label Vinyl On Demand who specializes in massively inflated vinyl box sets. Surely Warp is capable of something comprehensive like this? Why is everybody saying 'mastering 200 tracks is an impossible task' its not at all, mastering engineers work fairly quickly they just like being paid a lot (and that would cost a lot of money but money that can easily be made back in profit). I am opposed to the idea of making a 'best of' thing here, i think the only way to do this justice would be a fully comprehensive and continuing vinyl series with an indefinite end. It could even be a subscription services you buy into from the beginning to offset all these costs. If Warp doesn't have the willpower or time to focus on a project of this magnitude, they should pass it onto someone who does (like vinyl on demand)

How about the other part of you?

5 tracks isn't enough

I can't even begin to think of a top 5, not even a top 10. Maybe 20

There are too many tracks I consider gems that are never spoken about here, Notting Hill Bus (sp?) for instance that someone else mentioned. 7 cutting also, nobody has mentioned that. So hard

5 tracks isn't enough

I can't even begin to think of a top 5, not even a top 10. Maybe 20

There are too many tracks I consider gems that are never spoken about here, Notting Hill Bus (sp?) for instance that someone else mentioned. 7 cutting also, nobody has mentioned that. So hard

i think the idea is not that everyone gets the songs they want, but rather to get a list of those that people with different tastes feel the most strongly about.

one of the interesting things about this sc dump for me is how people are drawn to different songs. its unlikely that any one person will get their top 15 in the final selection of 20 or whatever, so by everyone only chosing 5, the final batch will maybe bring things to peoples attention, because they will be the absolute best according to all tastes.

Edited by very honest

the other part of me says this project should be produced/sold outside of Aphex's contractual obligation (whatever they might be) with Warp and the project should be split up among several different smaller labels that specialize in good vinyl pressings (of every single track he put up on soundcloud)

edit: Aphex can get around his contractual obligations, as he probably already did by posting them on soundcloud with nothing saying 'this is by aphex twin'. He could if he wanted to tomorrow send off batches of playlists to all different indie labels with a note saying 'have at it cunts' and people would lose their shit.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Big love for those tracks.

If we ARE restricted to 5 votes, part of me thinks I should just be vouching for the under-appreciated stuff. I mean, stuff like Organ and Sekonda are pretty much gonna end up on this release no matter what. Fans of those need not worry. But what about 70`s Tune, Bradley Echoes, Hilo, nocares, Slo Bird Whistle, etc? I seriously dig all of those, but in reality they haven't got a fucking chance.