IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

I'd rather him spend his time uploading more tracks rather than remastering the ones that are already out.

Fuck YES

thats why people hire mastering engineers to do it. You guys act as if he'd be undertaking this proposed project all by himself (which is an odd thing to think)

Guest RupturedSouls

My 2 pence - A handful of these tracks i've had as low bitrate mp3s, ripped from youtube, from live hanycam videos from 93.
Direct mp3s (even in 128kbps) from the DATs, from the man himself is an absolute blessing.
Of course, many others may never had seen the light of day. So i'm SOSOSO fuckin chuffed at the Soundcloud.

If Rich WANTS to make a mastered 'best of', so be it, and i'll be over the moon and buy it. If not, i'm still over the moon!!!

I just don't think people should be pushing him for a best of. One big problem is that a 'best of' these tracks will never be perfect for all fans. There are too many styles on display here. So you'll not get a consistent album at all. Inwhich case, it's probably better to put together your own playlist, even burn one to a disc etc...
You could make a handful of different style 'best of's - one for ambient, one for aggressive, one for SAW era, etc... like he's tried to do in the soundcloud playlists.
To me, these playlists just showed that even breaking them sown into types of tracks, you still end up with a lot of playlists, with a lot of tracks in each.
It's just not practical.

To me, the only real answer is - let Richard decide if he wants to make a release, let him decide on his favorites. Then we know it's a pure expression of tracks he maybe would have wanted to release, but never did.
then again, he could probably make one for each style/year, etc.
It's a mess. So maybe it's best to just enjoy the Soundcloud as it comes, and listen to it all (in it's entirety or as 'dumps') / or just our favorites (in our own playlists).

I'm all for physical fetishism. I buy up everything i can and have it all on display. (I'd love a Merzbox style thing with Everything in it!!!) But i just don't think it's necessary here.

(Also - It seems it's not over yet, so i also think it's too soon to talk of 'best ofs'.)

One final thought - I have all the Analord 12"s, and ripped some mp3s (not perfectly) - and i also have Chosen Lords. If i'm in the mood for some Analord - I Play the whole set through, and make a day of it - very rarely just the Best Of.
If i extrapolate this idea to the soundcloud - If i felt for it, i could have AFX, EVERYDAY!!! Glorious hehe ;)

please tell me that nobody on this forum get introduced to aphex via his album artwork or his two famous video. sound waves lol pls

:facepalm:

I got introduced to him at a house party which was playing a shitty tape copy of SAW. Worked for me.

Yes it's about sound carried by waves

Plastic and video and cardboard is fine but not essential for music that can stand on its own

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I'd rather him spend his time uploading more tracks rather than remastering the ones that are already out.

Fuck YES

thats why people hire mastering engineers to do it. You guys act as if he'd be undertaking this proposed project all by himself (which is an odd thing to think)

See below

been chatting with afx on sc about this - relevant bits of what he said regarding voting/a release. that said, i'm fairly convinced he at least lurks here (he hasn't said that but given WATMM's involvement with the caustic window release et al, I'd say it's a safe bet, so hi rich :)

and yes, i am already implementing this how he suggested (except more like ~top ~20 or so tracks, voting can be changed/updated at any time and it updates as tracks are uploaded, and i'll leave it up for a long time... fingers crossed we're seeing many more tracks!).

will get back to coding :)

hi , thanks, nice1

you think those SC stats are representative though?

People also chnge their mind about what they like I think.

I was thinking something like you have 5 votes or something and you can change those 5 votes when you like.

I dont know how many pieces of vinyl ill release yet of it.

Its quite a lot of work becuase Ill have to re-encode everything as all the files ive got that were uploaded to SC can be done a lot better +mastered by myself and with some help, IF the DAT's /cassettes still work!

It will give me a good basis for compiling something, i wont compile it exactly as people have voted, just use it as strong start to compiling it myself .

these stas are kinda useful for me but main problem is people go off tracks, change their mind etc, I know I do.

So I think a dynamic one would be best, whereby you could change your votes.

I also know people would be biased by looking at the stats so not sure the usefullness of it tbh

Would do cd as well

Would just be very useful for me, [i had my friends help me decide in the past now it's loads of fan's, ace!]

as a basis of where to start and also probably put some other unreleased ones that I didnt put on SC also

Maybe I can credit all the people who help by voting in the artwork :)

ALso I intend to leave any polls that may be created up for as long as possible to allow people to digest but no harm in starting now if its dynamic.

Guest RupturedSouls

ON a lighter note - played Mulberry Bush at a party recently, and people went frikkin mad for it!!! :music:

ON a lighter note - played Mulberry Bush at a party recently, and people went frikkin mad for it!!! :music:

Haha. I love it.

Fuck YES

See below

been chatting with afx on sc about this - relevant bits of what he said regarding voting/a release. that said, i'm fairly convinced he at least lurks here (he hasn't said that but given WATMM's involvement with the caustic window release et al, I'd say it's a safe bet, so hi rich :)

and yes, i am already implementing this how he suggested (except more like ~top ~20 or so tracks, voting can be changed/updated at any time and it updates as tracks are uploaded, and i'll leave it up for a long time... fingers crossed we're seeing many more tracks!).

hi , thanks, nice1

I was thinking something like you have 5 votes or something and you can change those 5 votes when you like.

Its quite a lot of work becuase Ill have to re-encode everything as all the files ive got that were uploaded to SC can be done a lot better +mastered by myself and with some help, IF the DAT's /cassettes still work!

It will give me a good basis for compiling something, i wont compile it exactly as people have voted, just use it as strong start to compiling it myself .

these stas are kinda useful for me but main problem is people go off tracks, change their mind etc, I know I do.

I also know people would be biased by looking at the stats so not sure the usefullness of it tbh

Would do cd as well

Would just be very useful for me, [i had my friends help me decide in the past now it's loads of fan's, ace!]

as a basis of where to start and also probably put some other unreleased ones that I didnt put on SC also

ALso I intend to leave any polls that may be created up for as long as possible to allow people to digest but no harm in starting now if its dynamic.

"Maybe I can credit all the people who help by voting in the artwork :)"

Maybe this will spur some more activity in the SC Fan Art thread! Would love to see more creations.

Guest rd1994

Fuck YES

See below

hi , thanks, nice1

Would do cd as well

Maybe this will spur some more activity in the SC Fan Art thread! Would love to see more creations.

thats not the way I understood it. I understood it this way: he or maybe tDR will make some artwork and most popular voters (of the tracks) get mentioned by name (sorry for my english :D) when he releases

but real quick can i get just one little download, pls?

https://soundcloud.com/user18081971/14-cornish-spreek5b-st-nectan-s-glen-waterfalls-mix

even with my amateur knowledge of the soundcloud dump, this is something I agree with, tune is perfecto

That song is what made my GF finally understand my Aphex obsession at least somewhat. I shared it on my SC and she clicked not knowing what it was. Ran in to tell me she really loves it and wants it on her phone. It was my great pleasure to tell her who it was.

Guest sloanster

Chink 101 and Sam's Car are top10, even top 5 for me.

I never see SomewhereOTTGTBAG mentioned. Would be great if it made it through :)

Agreed, back to the old days, cutting some shapes, happy daze!

Guest sloanster

Some detective work trying to track down this book:

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10226269.htm

The links to The Skythian Society Press (http://www.wetheskythians.com/) are all dead. Apparently there was an ebook version of this book as well as hardback and paperback prints. There is a mobile number and a name mentioned on there in association with 'The Skythian Society Press'. Further googling led me to this which seems to be the parent company of the now defunct Skythian Society Press and it also has the same mobile number listed for contact as well as an address for a bookshop:

http://www.resonancebookworks.com/

Bookshop address in County Durham

https://goo.gl/maps/xCpFP

I guess they'd have infos about tracking down a copy of the book and possibly have an ebook copy for download too maybe? The book doesn't seem to be listed on their website though. It's like all trace has been wiped off t'internet. *dramatic conspiracy music*

also, this is David Ritchie's facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/david.ritchie.58

Looks like hes pretty active. maybe hed be nice enough to point us in the right direction...

Skara Brae

Fuck YES

See below

hi , thanks, nice1

Would do cd as well

thats not the way I understood it. I understood it this way: he or maybe tDR will make some artwork and most popular voters (of the tracks) get mentioned by name (sorry for my english :D) when he releases

yeah I thought about that after posting haha Would be interesting to have fan submitted art, though. RDJ has proven that he has a pretty good eye for images to represent his music, so him doing the artwork & us voting on which we like the best would also be interesting!

If this whole premature ejaculation /poll voting malarkey has nullified Richard continuing with the uploading of tracks beyond 1994 I'll be fucking livid.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

If this whole premature ejaculation /poll voting malarkey has nullified Richard continuing with the uploading of tracks beyond 1994 I'll be fucking livid.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme

Well he just commented that there's a longer version of Pigeon Street that he might be able to find, so let's all stay positive in here :)