IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Imagine buying plugins for your brain's composition implant.

That would be pretty amazing.

I wonder how skill would work if you can just download Aphex into your composition implants. Everyone will be as good as Aphex at BASE level. 

I guess you'd load up on apps, and find ways to combine your downloaded skills. Like Mozart combined with Aphex combined with BOC combined with AE.

Actually, everyone would just download a Skrillex app.

Edited by Brisbot

Imagine buying plugins for your brain's composition implant.

That would be pretty amazing.

I wonder how skill would work if you can just download Aphex into your composition implants. Everyone will be as good as Aphex at BASE level. 

I guess you'd load up on apps, and find ways to combine your downloaded skills. Like Mozart combined with Aphex combined with BOC combined with AE.

Actually, everyone would just download a Skrillex app.

We have to drop this under the soundclouds 'inventions & ideas' so he can his Chinese programmers cracking on this!

I'm looking forward to an app that can tell exactly what music it is your brain wants to hear and then creates it for you. Everyone will become part-listener, part-creator.

But then nobody would get interested in other people's music right ?

I'm looking forward to an app that can tell exactly what music it is your brain wants to hear and then creates it for you. Everyone will become part-listener, part-creator.

Well, you'd be able to download enjoyment. IF you don't like skrillex, you'd be able to download 'enjoyment of skrillex'

We have to drop this under the soundclouds 'inventions & ideas' so he can his Chinese programmers cracking on this!

Well they'll have to figure out immortality first since it's definitely not gonna happen in our lifetimes.

But then nobody would get interested in other people's music right ?

Well, it'll be a different time with different beliefs. If all this generative stuff happens, then I'm sure the public consciousness will end up making beliefs that validate what's happening. Like how the idea that pot is the worst drug ever. It was made a law, then a lot of people took the bait and propaganda, and the belief cropped up that MJ kills, makes you delirious, etc. Since it'll be a different time, MAYBE listening to other people's music won't be nearly as valued. And that will be the belief of the majority of people then.

We'll just be the obstinate old guard, with our outmoded belief system :). Not 'swag' enough to hang with the cool kids.

QUIT POOPING THE PARTY. YOU TOO PSN. Who knows what technology will look like in a few hundred/thousand years. What we call a 'computer' now will not be the same thing then. I mean, I'm sure eventually they'll be able to augment your brain somehow.

I mean we don't even know what consciousness IS. You have to figure that out before you can figure out how to augment it.

TBH I kinda don't want it to be the case, I am just old fashioned however. I like the idea of imperfection. Though if I were born into a perfect world I'd probably think differently.

That's a great article, but I don't see how it supports your conclusion - even if the working of the brain is nothing like a digital computer that doesn't mean that a digital computer can't simulate the working of the brain, or even that it needs to do so to mimic the creative process. I hope you'll forgive me for shilling for these again, but

here
are a couple of generative melodies I posted a while back in another thread. They were both created with the same simple algorithm - pitches and note lengths were chosen at random with weights depending on the last few notes, and bars were repeated at random with random modifications. Obviously they aren't exactly worthy of Mozart, but the point is that they're better than any melodies I've written the old-fashioned way, despite the process used to create them being completely different from (and much simpler than) whatever is going on in my head. Considering how simple that is to some of the crazy things people are doing with neural networks, it seems almost certain to me that we'll one day reach the point where computers are churning out music to rival the best that humans have to offer faster than we can listen to it, probably within our lifetimes (though I'm more skeptical about the "app that can tell exactly what music it is your brain wants to hear" part).

Dunno how I feel about it to be honest. I mean, I'm definitely apprehensive about the prospect of having spent years trying to reach the point where I can make music that's worth listening to, only to be rendered redundant by a piece of software, but I can't think of any reason to fear it that isn't motivated by my ego. Having an unlimited amount of good music will be bad for people who want to stand in front of a crowd of adoring fans, but good for people who just want to hear good music, which is what we're supposed to pretend we really care about, right?

You could make a comparison to digital photography with these people making their own music with the benfit of neural plugins thing (which i don't think is a bad idea, as long as this doesn't come with all sort of corporate mental spyware and you know the drill, it's good if people want to be creative and have an outlet for that, we are coming to a time of total automation and the merging of man and machine, whatever that means and however it's implemented, so there will be a lot of free time and people like making stuff). So back to digital photography, once upon a time it was very difficult to be an amateur photographer, now anyone can pick up a cheap (relatively) SLR and start taking professional looking snaps that is instantly edited in camera edited through algorithms that sharpen the imagine, alter the contrast and lighting and tone and colour values. Despite all this, their bad taste still makes for billions of mostly terrible photos taken by the millions of these enthusiasts that are interested in the topic. So perhaps, even with all the plugins in the world, if these people don't have the inherent connection to the creative vibrations, their work will inevitably languish unloved and forgotten. A certain standard will be attained of course, but that spark that the impassioned listener looks for, won't be present. And besides, there's a division of labour in society, and people will still look for heroes, even if we're living some technologically supported arcadian dream. Also, as an entertaining aside, there might be an interested in 'artisanal music', created without the aid of the implants.

You could make a comparison to digital photography with these people making their own music with the benfit of neural plugins thing (which i don't think is a bad idea, as long as this doesn't come with all sort of corporate mental spyware)

It sucks knowing that a transhumanist future with the governments and corporations of today will end up being a masked surveillance program

• 3 weeks later...

I CALL ON A WHITE KNIGHT TO COME HELP ME DEFEAT MY ENEMIES

giphy.gif

Need to 'shop out the Kool Aid Man's face and replace with Aphex logo

giphy.gif