IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

6 hours ago, Extralife said:

❤️S8v1❤️

I feel like these are much more recent ambient tracks that maybe he made specifically for his live shows? Either way, they are all beauties.

Wondering about this too. Thought these tracks were new, made for the live shows, but who knows. We should ask him. 

I can't believe he put tha2 on SC.  I just found these today and have been blown away.  When I heard them live, I thought that was next full Aphex Twin album level quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Still jamming out to Raindrops on Roses... love that early shit!

RIGHT!? Forever more PBoD!

I have noticed something about these old DAT tracks though. It seems the SC ones are a bit slower, for instance Q-Chastic "CAT 002" on the CD is pitched faster than "Symbonsad" from SC. Same with "Popcorn" when it was on SC for like 2 mins. The recording on Joyrex J4 is faster? What could be causing this. Is the motor or belts (Idk how the fuckin thing works) in the DAT machine off or are there controls that you can vary pitch or tempo?

Edited by eh Speedy

DAT is Digital Audio Tape, the sound is just bits of data on the tape, basically the same as on CDs; so to change pitch, slow down or speed up the tempo, you'd need to do digital signal processing (timestretching and rescaling) - changing the speed of the tape does not work like with reel-to-reel tape, which you can manipulate in many different ways - but I do think that some DAT machines have a sample rate control feature, which could be used to slow down or speed up the audio. But as RDJ is a known circuit bender, he could have tweaked the deck himself - but then again, the tracks could've been manipulated after extracting them. Your guess is as good as mine, I guess.

• Like 1

LP DAT is 32000hz * 2 channels * 12 bits for 768000 bits/sec

SP DAT is 48000hz * 2 channels * 16 bits for 1536000 bits/sec

Basically a clean double. I'm ignoring 44100hz SP

I always thought red calx slo and red calx from the SC dump were just recordings of the same tape but each rec was played back at a different DAT speed. I know it's a digital tape but the diff between SP and LP is a clean double, it's not outside the realm of possibility that there might be some hardware out there that could read and write it that way. At LP the head spins at half speed and the tape runs half speed too.

Never had any hands on experience with DAT hardware though so I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Anyway here's some classics from the SC dump enjoy

• Like 1

Assumed both versions were from the same recording, but one of them got the audacity treatment. Not sure why you'd do that with different recordings and tweak the hardware if the software solution is so much easier. As it allows for experimenting to find the right speed/pitch/tempo

• Like 1

user18081971 at 1:50:

@user18081971: my dad was so kind, always noticed if there was someone in the room who maybe wasn't as happy as everyone else, whereas others might be drawn to the main energy of a room or party...he loved that to but if there was someone who needed cheering up or help, he was always there..he was so clever but never ever showed off or even told people about the things he'd achieved, my family and i were always discovering things he'd done, sometimes years later and were like wtf..he was very hard working and loved life, unbelievably positive even in the shittiest of situations, he also never talked about his feelings but wasn't at all repressed and he never liked it if any of us were talking about someone behind their back. He loved reading and read constantly and had a really fun silly side to him which I really loved...he was also telling the same stories over and over again, like me..i get that from him:)

Posted 1 day ago1 day ago

user18081971 at 1:50:

@user18081971: he was a ridiculously perfect dad..

Those were Awesome Memories to share of your Dad

reading this brought back memories of my own Dad:)

January 2015 I lost my Dad to cancer

then you started releasing music on souncloud within days

helped immensely throughout the year

Thank you for the Music You Create RDJ:)

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

Not sure, but has Rich upgraded to "Pro Unlimited" on Soundcloud again? Or has he just had it ongoing since last time...

I didn't notice the little "Pro star" on his profile the last couple of days and got excited when I saw it today - let's go Super Aphex Quarantine Dump 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 5:41 PM, Tim_J said:

tha2 live already had drums, and cooler drums than this world scam mix... :^(

user18081971 at 0:05:

@oneven: nope, this is the original take, i didn't record the actual Brooklyn one, had too many other things to think about.

1 hour ago, garbage_burner said:

He seems to go quiet anytime the SoundCloud gets some press

The amount of plays went wayyy up when those articles were put out

Edited by thumbass

22 minutes ago, jules said:

Is there a dl link for everything since the last big sc dump 5? I haven’t been caught up at all. 

:trashbear:

my resource has been>
https://archive.org/details/AphexTwinAllUser18081971SoundcloudTracks

other than the recent tracks which you can still nab from soundcloud, i believe its a full archive.  theres another archive.org post for the syrobonkers tracks too which have some overlap.  NOTE i believe theyre uploaded there on the pretense that all those tracks were free downloads at some point, but you should know that many of the tracks got their download status removed or were sorted into albums (and possibly in higher quality?) on https://aphextwin.warp.net/, so that would be the most legit way to get them.

Edited by markedone
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, markedone said:

my resource has been>
https://archive.org/details/AphexTwinAllUser18081971SoundcloudTracks

other than the recent tracks which you can still nab from soundcloud, i believe its a full archive.  theres another archive.org post for the syrobonkers tracks too which have some overlap.  NOTE i believe theyre uploaded there on the pretense that all those tracks were free downloads at some point, but you should know that many of the tracks got their download status removed or were sorted into albums (and possibly in higher quality?) on https://aphextwin.warp.net/, so that would be the most legit way to get them.

thanks! I just never grabbed anything after the 5 major dumps. Much appreciated.

:beer:

Edited by jules

8 hours ago, thumbass said:

The amount of plays went wayyy up when those articles were put out

I would really stop speculating at this point, This guys upload behavior is the most random thing in history.???‍♀️

Wich is also kind of cool, this has been going on for YEARS now! Its so random!

Remember when he changed his user name to just an ace of clubs or something like that?! He,s just doing whatever he pleases i think..