IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

12 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

Aren't  these all just pretty basic sswtooth pads playing a basic 2 chord sequence.  A bit detuned. And run through a phaser?

um, but Aphex Twin played those sawtooth pads and detuned them himself. checkmate.

Aren't Aphex Twinks just basic music done with basic electronic gear in a basic detuned way? 

This is it! Im gonna head over to the Squarepusher section. At least he can play a fucking bass guitar 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, cern said:

Aren't Aphex Twinks just basic music done with basic electronic gear in a basic detuned way? 

This is it! Im gonna head over to the Squarepusher section. At least he can play a fucking bass guitar 

Squarepusher is just Roni Size for beards

• Haha 6
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

Sorry if there’s a thread on this or it’s being discussed elsewhere but here’s an article on RDJ’s sister becoming Wales’ Minister on Climate Change (this rules, btw). There are a couple great quotes here!

https://www.stereogum.com/2156356/aphex-twins-sister-is-wales-new-climate-change-minister/news/

When asked whether she’s a fan of his music, Julie said:

Very much. Not all of it. Some of it’s, I think Charlie Brooker once said it was like being inside a CT scanner for an hour. But some of it is glorious. He writes beautiful jazz. 

*nods, knowingly*

also:

She names the 1991 AFX single “Analog Bubblebath 2” as her favorite of her brother’s tracks. I like this lady.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Totally unrelated… at some point didn’t some folks organize the dump tracks into groups of eras / unreleased albums? I was just hunting for those but couldn’t find them. 

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Totally unrelated… at some point didn’t some folks organize the dump tracks into groups of eras / unreleased albums? I was just hunting for those but couldn’t find them. 

IIRC most of the era talking was going on in this thread. Then there was this thread for the playlists etc.:

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phudoshin said:

afx.png.8c2e8a0fe58291a084e0a42b04f390c0.png

These guys deserve more respect than any current "free world" political leader, aside maybe from North Korean guy since he got the position by inheritance and not a lot is known about his politics. But I suspect the funny series ends with them, the bloody dictators (one of which gave up his power like a pussy despite the popular support). The humour in this is very low-level.

And AFX cover is beautiful.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

These guys deserve more respect than any current "free world" political leader, aside maybe from North Korean guy since he got the position by inheritance and not a lot is known about his politics. But I suspect the funny series ends with them, the bloody dictators (one of which gave up his power like a pussy despite the popular support). The humour in this is very low-level.

And AFX cover is beautiful.

be advised your political takes are very bad

i hope it feels cool to be so edgy and outside the box. i'm sure many will fall prey to your schtick. enjoy pretending to know what you're talking about.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Soundcloud dump was an amazing gift. I remember Richard would always say in interviews that he had hundreds of unreleased tracks, and I use to think he was bullshitting. Not only was he telling the truth, but loads of them are classics.

In Aphex We Trust ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 10

35 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

The Soundcloud dump was an amazing gift. I remember Richard would always say in interviews that he had hundreds of unreleased tracks, and I use to think he was bullshitting. Not only was he telling the truth, but loads of them are classics.

In Aphex We Trust ?

I find myself listening to his soundcloud stuff way more than regularly released albums tbh

Not trying to belittle his album releases, but this soundcloud stuff feels more personal or it's just my predisposition idk

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

I find myself listening to his soundcloud stuff way more than regularly released albums tbh

Not trying to belittle his album releases, but this soundcloud stuff feels more personal or it's just my predisposition idk

I liked Aphex up until the SC dump. Then I loved him.

• Like 4

i agree with all 3 posts above, sorry for circle jerking

i also prefer to just shuffle the sounddump then play syro for example. I couldn't believe it either that he kept so much amazing trxxx for himself or could even make that many.

The interaction with his fans was also awesome, even tough he said some goofy stuff now and then, i fuckin love him for being genuine and so friendly, maybe also because he likes mortician and bottom.

maybe someday he'll release some of the newer stuff he made, maybe not. Sure as hell was nice to give us like 10 albums of awesome afx music ?

• Like 8

20 hours ago, beerwolf said:

In Aphex We Trust ?

Yeah I thought he was exaggerating, thinking he probably had a few classics nestled away for himself. But there are dozens of them.

Even the more tossed off/obtuse tracks are worth a listen cause they are at least attempting to make something new or interesting.

Makes me wonder about the unreleased musique concrete/algorithmic tracks he mentioned in that 2001 NME interview that he thinks are his best but other people would probably think are his worst.

• Like 2