IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

25 minutes ago, cern said:

Its so beautiful but is not the drums live 909 drumming by Richard? 

I remember when he released Tha2 it was not the same as the one in Brooklyn. 

that clip is just the very end of the 17 minute mini live set that begins the 2019 manchester show. it's not technically named mini live set for manchester, but it is recognizably a reworked version of the section that is labeled "mini live set" on the official 2019 printworks youtube. printworks was about a week before the manchester show. both versions are great. 

manchester i posted above. here's printworks

to answer your question, yeah i think i hear live drum input

Edited by trying to be less rude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm sure the information is buried here among these 700+ pages, but is there any easily accessible catalogue of rough chronology for the SC dump stuff? I thought I'd make up a bunch of CDs to play in the car, which is where most of my AFX happens (wife = not so keen), and ideally I'd like to do it in some kind of order. SAW, SAWII, RDJ related etc....

Ta,

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks, but I don't see anything there that catergorises the tracks, or am I missing something?

Richard

1 hour ago, Ohm said:

Thanks, but I don't see anything there that catergorises the tracks, or am I missing something?

Richard

Category - Music - 
Subcategory - Music Genres - Electronic Music - IDM

That's such a clever response. The use of the term "IDM" tells me all I need to know.

Can any grown ups give me a proper answer please? It'd be nice to be able to place them into some kind of chronology and dive in properly.

Edited by Ohm
  • Haha 2

I don't think anybody was nerdy enough to do a full inventory on the sc trax and try and divvy them up into full chronolgical production order. I mean in general terms it would be possible but there are too many tracks where it is too difficult to pin down.

I remember making a bunch of album adjacent playlists which I was satisfied were fairly accurate but there are still lots of outliers and head scratchers in the mix. I'll see if I can dig them out.

• Like 1

Thanks Key - that'd be great! I found a few things where people had tried, but head scratching seems to be order of the day. Cheers,

Richard

There's multiple chronologies- the order he posted them, the order they were originally produced in, and the era he claims they were made- which is indicated for some tracks but not all.

There's various playlists and mixes out there on youtube and soundcloud that attempt to put them in categories based on approximate era or approximate vibe.

AFAIK there's nothing definitive

• Like 1

IIRC he was randomly picking DATs from boxes that were in a general chronological order. Starts off fairly straightforward but things do begin to go back and forth in time quite quickly.

The only real official word we have about some of these tracks is when they were remastered and tagged on as bonus tracks on the beepstores. Tbh I can't follow Richards categorisations on there. I wouldnt have guessed Clissold 101 was by Polygon Window, or that Sekonda was an offcut from ICBYD for example.

• Like 3

Yeah, I recall SAW 1.5 being mentioned at one point too. And I agree the Bleep store associations don't always feel that accurate. Any links to the old YouTube or SC playlists would be welcome. I quite enjoy that side of it, the detective work. I spend a lot of time going through tapes and sessions in my day job, it's by far the most fun part. Putting the finished release together always feels a bit flat by comparison ?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Didn't he have some playlists on his Soundcloud? I can't find them any more. I thought he had a SAW1,5 up there. Could be my imagination though

There were Google docs for these playlists somewhere 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Didn't he have some playlists on his Soundcloud? I can't find them any more. I thought he had a SAW1,5 up there. Could be my imagination though

yep, i also recall him making SOSW2 and AB6 playlists. someone must have archived the tracklists, surely? or do afx fans only hoard jpegs of his face?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ohm said:

Yeah, I recall SAW 1.5 being mentioned at one point too. And I agree the Bleep store associations don't always feel that accurate. Any links to the old YouTube or SC playlists would be welcome. I quite enjoy that side of it, the detective work. I spend a lot of time going through tapes and sessions in my day job, it's by far the most fun part. Putting the finished release together always feels a bit flat by comparison ?

This is where you can find the info

In the description is a googledocs link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zyi7R66rB0Dz2th3RCl3SNoT85OW6FQKyWMVxpbHcOI/edit#gid=0

with a bunch of other playlists (saw1.5, saw extended, sosw)

edit: no AB list though. And I vaguely remember one as well... And it would make perfect sense. He had a bunch of tracks from an unreleased AB album, I believe

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

This is where you can find the info

In the description is a googledocs link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zyi7R66rB0Dz2th3RCl3SNoT85OW6FQKyWMVxpbHcOI/edit#gid=0

with a bunch of other playlists (saw1.5, saw extended, sosw)

edit: no AB list though. And I vaguely remember one as well... And it would make perfect sense. He had a bunch of tracks from an unreleased AB album, I believe

Yea there was a AB6 playlists and more, can't find atm. Here is a pic of the SAW 1.5 playlist tho

saw15final.png

• Like 4

This Soundcloud dump is still mind blowing.

Some of the tracks has already become classic top tunes by Aphex Twin. 
Im gonna put my headphones on and take a dive in the AFX Soundcloud dump :music:

• Like 3

There's this:

On 8/25/2019 at 12:27 AM, DucksOpinion said:

I have been meaning for years to put together playlists for the Soundcloud dump...This thread got me inspired to finally get started.

I've tried to break the dump down into alternate versions of released albums and EPs, although I've had to loosen structure here and there (e.g. lumping AB tunes together or making Joyrex and Rephlex "albums") as I felt it helped continue to break things into more manageable/listenable lengths.
I've included some compilation tracks and non-Soundcloud bonus tracks, too...again, just to round stuff out and make the experience more listenable.

The playlist which I think needs work mainly is the ICBYD... (Alt) one as it is just too long. I am going to try to find different homes for a few and then likely split it into "ICBYD... (Alt) [Disc 1]" and "ICBYD... (Alt) [Disc 2]"
Any thoughts on that, appreciated! In fact, any thoughts on any of this is appreciated...there are probably some songs stuck in the wrong playlist but only repeat listening will get me figuring that.
Finally, this doesn't include a lot of the SyroBonkers type noise tracks...I've bunged them into an another playlist but to be honest, I'm just not that into them so even though it runs at 2hr45min, I'm fine...

Here is where I am at:

Ventolin.png

More Mixes For Cash.png

Windowlicker.png

UI.png

Tuss Analord.png

Syro.png

SOSW2.png

SOSW (Alt).png

SAW II (Alt).png

SAW 85-92 (Alt).png

SAW 1.5.png

RDJ (Alt).png

Replex Records.png

On EP (Alt).png

Drukqs (Alt).png

MFM (Alt).png

Joyrex.png

HAB (Alt).png

Gak (Alt).png

EKT.png

CTD (Alt).png

Classics (Alt).png

CW (Alt).png

ICBYD (Alt).png

AB.png

AB5+.png

Bradley Strider.png

Thanks to Ducks :ok:

Edited by yekker
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just caught up with some of his recent comments on the soundcloud over the last few days.

Imagine richard collaborates with you, opportunity of a lifetime, and you get impatient and leak it without his blessing and piss him off. Lol. I like the sound of it though.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I hope I'm not ruining it, but the SC tracks apparently have been reupped to SC by some mysterious user.
Whoever this is they are utterly hammering SC with loads and loads of relevant stuff like a super fan on a caffiene bender.
I mean if it ain't Warp or Rephlex running this account, they might as well be.

• Like 1