IGNORED

Too Many Cooks - this should be the end of all internets

Alzado

but honestly relies too much on tv nostalgia tropes

It's a spoof of 80's sitcoms. That's like saying a comedian relied too heavily on jokes.

But it's not really-- it references the 80s sitcom/animated/medical intros but it then strays into "wacky" territory with the Lars von trier pie and the murderer. It seems like it's caught in two minds - do a spoof or do a crazy, 4th wall breaking manhunt thing. To me parodies are at their most amusing when they're as close as the original as possible, exposing the innate hilarity of the source material taken just slightly out of its context.

The Jim and Derrick episode is probably my fav awesome show because it is almost imperceptible to a vh1 piece of shit TV show from 2003. It takes a lot of work and I don't think this one had enough ideas to warrant seeing it 8-9 times on my fb feed lol I'm a bitch aren't i

Furthermore, there is more than one way to make a parody. You could parody 80's TV by doing a full episode. They are doing it via the credits of TV shows from all the different genres of the era. And in each the point is to show how those shows simplistically showcased black and white, right and wrong. it's especially brilliant considering that they show the dark underside that is the counterpoint to that black and white perspective. The serial killer doesn't get revealed until midway through the running time, but if you watch closely he's actually present in many of the shots starting very early in the clip.

I had a similar idea ready for pitching on TV (not US), but i backed down coz it looked too heavy minded with references for Joyce's stream of consciousness technique. I planned to use "in the previous episodes" drawn out to the similar effect. I'm not sure that creepy murderer is good addition, but really, who the fuck cares.

but honestly relies too much on tv nostalgia tropes and a creepy murderer chasing girls isn't really that funny anyway and also easy

But it's not really-- it references the 80s sitcom/animated/medical intros but it then strays into "wacky" territory with the Lars von trier pie and the murderer. It seems like it's caught in two minds - do a spoof or do a crazy, 4th wall breaking manhunt thing. To me parodies are at their most amusing when they're as close as the original as possible, exposing the innate hilarity of the source material taken just slightly out of its context.

So you're saying it should of relied less on tv nostalgia tropes since it didn't rely entirely on tv nostalgia tropes? I'm confused...

I think the murder part was less funny than the parody element, but it was generally excellent. They had to do something wacky to make it 11 minutes long...

I've watched this so many times now. Ended up watching all the intros to Full House this morning and then I watched Too Many Cooks again. Let me tell you, what a great day to start your day.

The psycho killer idea would have been better if it had been more subtle, like just having him creep in the background, I agree with lopez in that. It went from parody to horror to parody, I don't know, it didn't flow well. Still enjoyed it though

Guest bitroast

I guess it's hard to keep momentum going for a solid 10 minutes straight.

like, the idea of the tv show openings going for 10 minutes would probably still be funny but without having something to break it up it would probably have a weird monotonous downward sloping feel to watching it.. no momentum. hehehe. not sure if that validates the joke if you still don't feel the joke worked either way I guess, but still..

I guess it's hard to keep momentum going for a solid 10 minutes straight.

like, the idea of the tv show openings going for 10 minutes would probably still be funny but without having something to break it up it would probably have a weird monotonous downward sloping feel to watching it.. no momentum. hehehe. not sure if that validates the joke if you still don't feel the joke worked either way I guess, but still..

yuh, I originally stopped it after about 3 minutes, or right before it turned into a cop show intro. Then I watched it later and was like, OH RIGHT

I think it's fucking awesome

Archived