IGNORED

What to do and see in San Francisco?

Squee

Ooh, some of my favorite food is in SF

Dottis True Blue Cafe - Long line, but the food is worth it, one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. I haven't been since they moved from their small Tenderloin location to Soma so I'm not sure how the queue is now.

Brenda's French Soul Food - in the Tenderloin, which by the way is a wonderfully sketchy district close to downtown; you will feel uncomfortable from the bountiful and rather vocal homeless population, but they're harmless if you keep on your merry way :) Anyways.. I haven't been to Brenda's but my professor recommended it and says he goes there every time he's in SF.

Lahore Karahi - great Indian/Pakistani food in the TL

RS94109 - a record shop also in the Tenderloin, electronic / techno focused

Arizmendi - was mentioned before for their bakery, but I've only been for their pizza. They make a different (and only one) kind of pizza each day, and its always excellent. Its close to golden gate park, so pairs nicely with a walk in the park or De Young / Academy of Sciences visit.

Tartine - bakery in the Mission, excellent deserts and breads, but again there is almost always a huge line.

Its also right across the street from Bi-Rite ice cream for alternative, or additional gluttony :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South of Twin Peaks is a bit out of the way. Not totally inaccessible but it'll frame how late you stay out etc. Are you getting a hotel/hostel/airBNB?

We're planning on staying at a place we've found on AirBNB. It seems like a really cool place and the view is great. But if you have any recommendations as to where to stay as a tourist and where it doesn't necessarily costs a fortune, feel free to fling some ideas my way :)

Dottis True Blue Cafe - Long line, but the food is worth it, one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. I haven't been since they moved from their small Tenderloin location to Soma so I'm not sure how the queue is now.

Brenda's French Soul Food - in the Tenderloin, which by the way is a wonderfully sketchy district close to downtown; you will feel uncomfortable from the bountiful and rather vocal homeless population, but they're harmless if you keep on your merry way :) Anyways.. I haven't been to Brenda's but my professor recommended it and says he goes there every time he's in SF.

Arizmendi - was mentioned before for their bakery, but I've only been for their pizza. They make a different (and only one) kind of pizza each day, and its always excellent. Its close to golden gate park, so pairs nicely with a walk in the park or De Young / Academy of Sciences visit.

Tartine - bakery in the Mission, excellent deserts and breads, but again there is almost always a huge line.

Its also right across the street from Bi-Rite ice cream for alternative, or additional gluttony :)

Uuuuuuuh... all of that sounds fucking great! And the same goes for the rest of the things you guys have recommended :)

There's a theater in San Francisco that has D-Box seats, right? Do any of you know which one that is?

Went there around 2000ish...

The redlight district is worth tooling around.

I enjoyed walking around Alcatraz.

Went to some interesting underground bars/speakez in Oakland. No idea of names, but you were allowed to smoke & Travis Barker from Blink182 happened to be there...

The Mallard in Berkley was a good time. Not sure if it still exists though.

I remember some kinda arcade in a building that had a lot of Mobius art & a kids Where the wild things are playground

Uuuuuuuh... all of that sounds fucking great! And the same goes for the rest of the things you guys have recommended :)

There's a theater in San Francisco that has D-Box seats, right? Do any of you know which one that is?

i would guess it's the Metreon, the theatre i mentioned on the previous page. Def the nicest true-Imax spot in the bay area, also has the best sound. They also have dolby atmos the 64+ speaker surround sound array.

also don't ignore the Exploratorium because it's advertised as a technology/science museum. Its the best 'art' museum in all of SF, many of the exhibits are far more art than science and almost all of them interactive. They have a pretty amazing camera obscura setup pointing out to the bay bridge as well ,on a clear day its pretty fucking impressive to see over 4k quality resolution just being projected onto a white table from a pinhole of light.

edit: and once you see it there will never be a question again of how realist/renaissance painters were able to pull off photographic quality constantly. I didn't believe the theory entirely until i saw it with my own eyes, case =solved

If you like real Asian and Indo-Chinese food, head down to the south end of the bay to Milpitas... dozens of amazing hole-in-the-wall places, serving the best food, Asian or otherwise, I've ever eaten. Best dim-sum, best seafood noodle, best pho, best sushi, best Thai and Maylay, . Every time I think about it my mouth starts watering and I want to hop on a plane.

Except for http://www.bananaleaf-usa.com/html/menu.html, I couldn't name any specific places I ate at down there - I just tried a new spot every lunch and dinner for 5 days, and only one or two meals were slightly less than phenomenal.

milpitas is one of the only places in the bay area i know of that has an all you can eat raw food buffet hot-pot restaurant.

also one of the only american locations of Japanese chain 'pepper lunch' which is an a cook it yourself snack teppanyaki style restaurant

if you are in the mood for chinese food, most of the places in Chinatown SF are tourist traps and just plain bad/average restaurants. People rave about Mission Chinese but i've never eaten there

Amoeba Records is a must (I also live right by it).

Ocean Beach is gorgeous and places you looking out against the expanse of the Pacific, also a trip to go there at night!

Golden Gate Park is really nice and the Botanical Garden is not to be missed if you're into Natural things. The California Academy of Science (located in GGP) is a world-class facility and definitely worht a visit. Stow Lake (again, in GGP) has paddle boats you can rent and take a leisurely trip around the lake talking to ducks/geese!

I'd be down to meet up with you and Kcinsu (who I've already been wanting to meet anyways!). PM if you'd like :)

Pepper Lunch looks fucking delicious!

These recommendations are way better than what I had expected! Feel free to bombard me with more ideas :)

I just found out about the Lucasfilm HQ in the Presidio. *nerdgasm*

@Goiter, I'll PM you as well :)

the best thing you'll probably see in the PResidio related to Lucas is the Yoda statue/fountain at the front office pavillion. Otherwise it just looks exactly like you'd expect, a decommissioned military base but in a fucking beautiful woody area of SF.

2842598596_380dbf6687.jpg

unless there is anything new, I'm not aware of other star wars sight seeing on the grounds

Squee, what is your time window for SF btw? you may have already said it on a previous thread but i'd be happy to pool together whatever night time electronic music shows are happening on the days you are there. You can probably find them all in public listings, but some of the coolest shows happening in SF are usually just facebook events

I've lived in SF for the past 6 years, and I've stopped into some great breweries/brew pubs you might want to check out.

The Beach Chalet: They have some great beers. The food is pretty pricey, but they have a taco special on Tuesdays, and a $2 beer night on Mondays. It's in the Outer Sunset, right at Ocean Beach. Just a short walk from the N train.

Social Kitchen: A small brew pub and restaurant in the Inner Sunset. A bit more affordable than the Beach Chalet with equally good beers and also accessible from the N train (it runs right in front of the place, in fact).

Magnolia: This place is in the Upper Haight (pronounced 'hate') and has some decent beers. The food is not vegetarian friendly though, so I typically don't go there.

Thirsty Bear: In the SOMA (South of Market) district near BART and Muni lines. "Spanish themed food."

The Speakeasy Brewery is pretty far from anything, but totally worth it since you can get beers they don't sell in stores. You also might want to check out the Anchor Steam Brewery, but you usually have to schedule a tour waaaay ahead of time (weeks or months) in order to get in.

Herbivore and Gracias Madre are great vegan restaurants.

The Cartoon Art Museum is a good museum to check out. They had the art of Sandman a few months ago. Sometimes I work at the Asian Art Museum (across from City Hall) so I can hook you guys up if you want. Unfortunately, the MOMA is under construction, so they only have pop-up exhibits around the city. The Legion of Honor has some great classic pieces. The de Young Museum in GGP has some modern and classic art, as well. Across from them is the Academy of Sciences, which is great to check out. They also have a 'night life' night on Thursdays where they sell cocktails and have special events.

The Sundance Theatre in Japantown is really nice and has some movies you won't find in an AMC.

• 1 month later...

I've lived in SF for the past 6 years, and I've stopped into some great breweries/brew pubs you might want to check out.

The Beach Chalet: They have some great beers. The food is pretty pricey, but they have a taco special on Tuesdays, and a $2 beer night on Mondays. It's in the Outer Sunset, right at Ocean Beach. Just a short walk from the N train.

Social Kitchen: A small brew pub and restaurant in the Inner Sunset. A bit more affordable than the Beach Chalet with equally good beers and also accessible from the N train (it runs right in front of the place, in fact).

Magnolia: This place is in the Upper Haight (pronounced 'hate') and has some decent beers. The food is not vegetarian friendly though, so I typically don't go there.

Thirsty Bear: In the SOMA (South of Market) district near BART and Muni lines. "Spanish themed food."

The Speakeasy Brewery is pretty far from anything, but totally worth it since you can get beers they don't sell in stores. You also might want to check out the Anchor Steam Brewery, but you usually have to schedule a tour waaaay ahead of time (weeks or months) in order to get in.

Herbivore and Gracias Madre are great vegan restaurants.

The Cartoon Art Museum is a good museum to check out. They had the art of Sandman a few months ago. Sometimes I work at the Asian Art Museum (across from City Hall) so I can hook you guys up if you want. Unfortunately, the MOMA is under construction, so they only have pop-up exhibits around the city. The Legion of Honor has some great classic pieces. The de Young Museum in GGP has some modern and classic art, as well. Across from them is the Academy of Sciences, which is great to check out. They also have a 'night life' night on Thursdays where they sell cocktails and have special events.

The Sundance Theatre in Japantown is really nice and has some movies you won't find in an AMC.

i'd add Barrelhead as another brewary/brewpub to check out (my friend is the brewer/owner and its a few blocks away, so if you are ever up for a beer hit me up!)

Psssst... is there actually anything to do in Silicon Valley or is it just a bunch of buildings?

I'd pass on anything south of SF unless you go to Santa Cruz or Monterey/Carmel.

I lived in the city for 7 years, there's just too much to list but like others I'll chip in a few highlights.

Sights:

Baker Beach, great view of the GG bridge and some cool old artillery/bunkers from the WW2 era.

Chinatown - interesting place to get soak in some of the cities Asian culture.

The Mission - a great look at the city's latino population. some great parks (Dolores is worth a look) and you almost can't miss for good food, particularly burritos.

Alamo Square - great view of the skyline, the six sisters (Full House)

Golden Gate Park - crazy amount of stuff to do. I'd check out the De Young Museum if you're into art. Paddleboat around Stow Lake if that's still a thing and the weather permits. Absolutely check out the Academy of Science museum too. They do a "nightlife" night where it's 21 and older so you don't have to deal with stinky kids.

Food:

Burritos! Anywhere in The Mission, you almost cant miss. My personal favorite is Papalote, their salsa is incredible.

Sushi - Akikos in the Financial District. If you want to try Japanese dishes with a modern twist I recommend Izakaya Yuzuki in the mission, the bartender there is a master in Sake.

Seafood - The Tadich Grill - great 'old San Francisco' atmosphere with the best seafood cioppino you'll ever have.

Arizmendi is definitely worth seeing for their baked goods, just ridiculous.

Leopolds if you want authentic austrian/german. you can also drink glass boots of beer.

Drink:

Theres an actual speakeasy called Bourbon and Branch, the drinks are pricey but one of a kind. you need to reserve a spot and need a password to get into the door. Kinda cheesy but it's fun.

Haight St (Upper and Lower) - Alembic for cocktails in upper haight. Toronado for beers in lower haight. Stop at The Page in between upper and lower haight if you have time. For me!

About a million other places...I have to stop, getting carried away.

If you do anything at all in/near the wharf area, go to alcatraz. its worth it. but book ahead of time! it's always filled up.

anything particular you're interested in doing/seeing? The city has everything.

Thanks, guys! :) I should probably mention that neither my girlfriend or I drink alcohol, so we're probably not gonna hit up any bars ;) But thanks anyway.

My girlfriend asks if there are any design museums, designer stores (she's been talking about a place called 'Heath Ceramics') or any arts and craft places in general that would be worth visiting? I'm pretty much interested anything interesting whether it's food, nerdy shit etc etc etc. I've looked up a couple of locations from The Room and I'm planning on visiting the café where this scene takes place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvfau1fWrI

I have to.

So far I've plotted these locations into my Google Map document:

CoffeeShop on Mission Street

Wild Pepper on 26th Street

Arizmendi Bakery

Tartine Bakery

Plow on 18th Street

Amoeba Music

KidRobot (my girlfriend wants to visit this place9

Smitten Ice Cream (also I found out that there's a great coffee shop on the other side of this place)

Dottie's True Blue Cafe

Blue Bottle Coffee

Metreon Cinema

Pearl's Deluxe Burgers

Coffee Bar Montgomery

The Exploratorium

Kara's Cupcakes

The Walt Disney Family Museum

LucasFilm Ltd.

Muir Woods

So yeah, lots of coffee places and lots of restaurants. I have a weakness for food. But I guess we'll stumble into things to see when we're bouncing from place to place. Feel free to recommend literally anything :)

Oh, and we'll be visiting SF from March 18 - 26 so if there are any cool events happening around that time please let me know.

if you're into books/art

McSweeney's

Green Apple used bookstore

City Lights bookstore

if she likes design, art, crafts, check out Flax on Market Street. I'd also certainly take her to the MOMA (museum of modern art) for the exhibits and the store there.

DEFINITELY go to Smitten. Blue Bottle is right by there as well. It's a neat little area, a bunch of shops/resteraunts set up in used shipping containers.

Kid Robot is in Upper Haight. I'd also check out Super 7 which is down the street. Also, Upper Playground in lower Haight.

Hope thats a good start

There is the design museum on third street around 22nd st. It's cool but tiny, however thats in the dogpatch district which I recommend for a little wander, a little desolate but cool

Also recommend Mission Bowl around 18th and S. Van Ness, it has 3 lanes and food by the chef from Mission Chinese. I have had one good meal at Mission Chinese and one bad one.

I just go to hole in the wall for thai and vietnamese. King of thai noodle (parts 1-3) aren't bad, but some Vietnamese hole in the walls are pretty bad... Maybe check out Burma Superstar and B-Star, the former is cambodian the latter asian fusion

Farmer Brown on Market and 6th is good soul food

Hog and Rocks in the Ferry building for oysters, also a local institution is Swan Oyster Depot on Polk and California

There are too many places to eat in sf

Home plate cafe on Lombard for breakfast

if you're into books/art

McSweeney's

Green Apple used bookstore

City Lights bookstore

if she likes design, art, crafts, check out Flax on Market Street. I'd also certainly take her to the MOMA (museum of modern art) for the exhibits and the store there.

DEFINITELY go to Smitten. Blue Bottle is right by there as well. It's a neat little area, a bunch of shops/resteraunts set up in used shipping containers.

Kid Robot is in Upper Haight. I'd also check out Super 7 which is down the street. Also, Upper Playground in lower Haight.

Hope thats a good start

The MOMA is actually closed right now. They're remodeling the entire building, so they only have some breakout events around the city. Also, I heard Flax was sold to some high-rise developer, so they may not being around for too much longer.

i'd add Barrelhead as another brewary/brewpub to check out (my friend is the brewer/owner and its a few blocks away, so if you are ever up for a beer hit me up!)

Nice! I had no idea that place popped up. I'll have to check it out.

Archived