IGNORED

Drukqs is truly a modern masterpiece.

Guest Snazzell

Guest Snazzell

Drukqs was my introduction to Aphex Twin. It took a bit of time to fall in love with it, but from the first listen it was one of the most compelling albums I'd ever heard. I would always approach listening with a great deal of curiosity every time. So while it wasn't really a favorite album at the start, it was the most interesting album to me for a while... and it became a favorite pretty fast. Maybe around 5th listen is where the love started to set in. RDJ Album has since become my fave AFX, though if he'd merged Come to Daddy and Window Licker that would be pretty much be the best album of all time. But Drukqs still evokes that sense of curiosity when I hear it, which is a rare thing.

Yes, it was the first AFX album I listened to as well. I was getting into Boards of Canada and I kept seeing that fucking grin on the suggestions bar. I didn't really pay much attention to his music then I decided to give it a try and Drukqs was the first one I picked. Was 12. But I did immediately enjoy it.

I notice that loads of my mates loves AFX and they dont seems to enjoy Druqks that much, i guess that watmm must be the only place where people actually loves Drukqs, i mean its a great record but nowhere near SAW85-92, SAW2, i care because you do or Richard D James album. At the time of its release, it got the weakest reviews of AFX catalogue, and guess what ? AFX went into totally different styles after that record (Analord/Tuss). I love Mont St michel & many tracks of it (including the pianos ones), but as an AFX fan, i found it hard to consider it a "masterpiece". Well, a "masterpiece" for WATMM people which says it all...

Agreed. In my circle of friends at least, online and real life, this was the biggest disappointment of an album from an artist we really looked up to, especially after what Come to Daddy and Windowlicker had delivered. I mean, for those who were there, when Come to daddy came out, it was like a revolution. Not only the videoclip, I mean the whole EP. It's the album that turned Aphex into a worldwide legend. And then, Windowlicker came out and took us all by surprise. This was new and fresh and psychedelic and like nothing else out there. Also a big fuck you to the pop industry, which was clever and just right. But then Richard lost his mp3 player on a plane and rushed into Druqks. It was like, what the hell, Aphex is only exploring drum n bass now? No more of that mellow, otherwordly tone? Only mathematical, amphetaminic, cocainoidal faster than fast programming? No more mystery? That's all you have, really? We all thought this was his less original album. It clearly followed a trend. It's like he suddenly was in competition with Squarepusher. With that said, I love many tracks on Druqks and the compositional work on some it is phenomenally complex and wow. Still listen to the album from time to time. With Syro tho, I feel like Aphex released what should have been released following Come to Daddy and Windowlicker. The warm, fuzzy, full of weird vocals, mysterious, offbeat, mind-expanding vibe is back. Apparently, Druqks was a necessary detour to get there. :)

i really hope you are trolling here

drukqs was my intro to IDM as a whole back in 2012. i had no clue how it was made and that album had such a unique feel that mesmerized me to no end.

i always imagined aphex sitting there in this david firth looking compartment in someones basement with a circuit bent tv and a small little computer performing everything on drukqs live haha. i was like WHAT!!! why have i been listening to fucking dub step?! thank you Grandma's Boy for the windowlicker inclusion.

if it wasn't for that i don't know where id be. Probably sucking Diplo's dick

I notice that loads of my mates loves AFX and they dont seems to enjoy Druqks that much, i guess that watmm must be the only place where people actually loves Drukqs, i mean its a great record but nowhere near SAW85-92, SAW2, i care because you do or Richard D James album. At the time of its release, it got the weakest reviews of AFX catalogue, and guess what ? AFX went into totally different styles after that record (Analord/Tuss). I love Mont St michel & many tracks of it (including the pianos ones), but as an AFX fan, i found it hard to consider it a "masterpiece". Well, a "masterpiece" for WATMM people which says it all...

Agreed. In my circle of friends at least, online and real life, this was the biggest disappointment of an album from an artist we really looked up to, especially after what Come to Daddy and Windowlicker had delivered. I mean, for those who were there, when Come to daddy came out, it was like a revolution. Not only the videoclip, I mean the whole EP. It's the album that turned Aphex into a worldwide legend. And then, Windowlicker came out and took us all by surprise. This was new and fresh and psychedelic and like nothing else out there. Also a big fuck you to the pop industry, which was clever and just right. But then Richard lost his mp3 player on a plane and rushed into Druqks. It was like, what the hell, Aphex is only exploring drum n bass now? No more of that mellow, otherwordly tone? Only mathematical, amphetaminic, cocainoidal faster than fast programming? No more mystery? That's all you have, really? We all thought this was his less original album. It clearly followed a trend. It's like he suddenly was in competition with Squarepusher. With that said, I love many tracks on Druqks and the compositional work on some it is phenomenally complex and wow. Still listen to the album from time to time. With Syro tho, I feel like Aphex released what should have been released following Come to Daddy and Windowlicker. The warm, fuzzy, full of weird vocals, mysterious, offbeat, mind-expanding vibe is back. Apparently, Druqks was a necessary detour to get there. :)

I'm honestly not sure if trolling

"The warm, fuzzy, full of weird vocals, mysterious, offbeat, mind-expanding vibe is back."

was rubber johnny just not good enough for you or something

seriously go kill yourself right now haha just kidding but seriously am i kidding or am i being dead serious?

Also a favorite here. In general.

"The warm, fuzzy, full of weird vocals, mysterious, offbeat, mind-expanding vibe is back."

seriously go kill yourself right now haha just kidding but seriously am i kidding or am i being dead serious?

you're just trying too hard

If it's a decaf tea perhaps. decaf tea is where it's at. Using a drug like caffeine is living in the past, a savage intolerable era where we doped our minds on bludgeoning and ultimately self defeating chemicals like that.

It truly is a contemporary masterpiece.

Listening to drukqs for the first time (age 16/17) was just as big of an impact as watching A Clockwork Orange for the first time (age ±12).

I haven't experienced anything like it ever since

Funny thing is, for some reason I've always overlooked meltphace6 for some reason just until last week. Very underrated track IMO

Edited by borys

Also a favorite here. In general.

you're just trying too hard

nah man I'm just spoofing on these guys, watch out i might get you next :catsuicide:

Guest LoveRhino

I am wholly with you there. It is his Bitches Brew.

A good album ye true but what is aphex twinnes Dark Magus?

sinceely youes

Analogue Bubblebath 5 is his Dark Magus, Hangable Auto Bulb is live evil and Syro his Walkin/Steaming/Relaxin sessions. I Care Because You Do would sit somewhere between Sketches of Spain and Kind of Blue with SAW1 definitely coming in as his In A Silent Way. Edited by LoveRhino

• 2 months later...

Drukqs is the greatest album of all time and no one is allowed to say otherwise :rtfm: . For real though, I can't believe there are people who are now teenagers that were born AFTER this came out. It'd be mindblowing even if it was released yesterday. I love syro and the new EP but they both sound like albums that'd lead up to this.

i was deeply disappointed with drukqs when it came out

but over time it's ornate detailed complexities have destroyed my mind and left me wanting more.........!

i think that it dropped so close to go plastic and made me confused....as i was still deeply in love with gp and was underwhelmed with drukqs at the time

it really grew on me and it demands a lot from the listener

Drukqs is like a fine wine and I enjoy it more with each year that passes. Every time I listen to it I find more hidden gems that I didn't notice on the previous listen. It's definitely my favorite AFX album and in my top 5 albums of all time.

i was deeply disappointed with drukqs when it came out

I still am. (Just like with Windowlicker)

Can't understand this obession with this weak album. I prefer AB3, AB4, Surfing on SInewaves, SAW 1 & 2, and the Tuss LP (on 33 rpm) among others. (AFX is much better in selected tracks over all, the standard among tracks varies wildly on each album...IMHO)