IGNORED

Drukqs is truly a modern masterpiece.

Guest Snazzell

I think the notes sit around B and A# but I may be wrong

z6LqsVE.png

My Melodyne analysis sure does support that, but it would take someone with a much better ear than me to work it out.

Edited by slate

I think the notes sit around B and A# but I may be wrong

z6LqsVE.png

My Melodyne analysis sure does support that, but it would take someone with a much better ear than me to work it out.

Yeah I used Melodyne to try and make a midi out of it, but it just wasn't coming out right. It's weird, it seems like all the instrumentation kind of sits in this area of B and A#, I remember when I loaded it into melodyne being quite confused by how it looked. It seems like hes kind of compressed everything into this narrow band of frequencies until later in the song where it starts to expand out. Either that or I just used the wrong melodyne analysis thing but still quite cool if he did manage to pitch everything into that note range

Well that's part of why MSM is so fascinating for me. It's completey uncertain for the first couple of minutes whether it's A sharp or B, I think i wrote about that in some other thread.

Really plays with your head.

feels very xltronic 2006 in here

Would be great to see more of that type of discussion. Working out melodies/notes in RDJ's music is both interesting and satisfying, I'll have some more to post at the end of the week.

Would be great to see more of that type of discussion. Working out melodies/notes in RDJ's music is both interesting and satisfying, I'll have some more to post at the end of the week.

was this already posted?

http://www.midm-database.co.uk/drukqs.html

was this already posted?

http://www.midm-database.co.uk/drukqs.html

Rofl yeah that's my site, I'm sure many people here have scoured it and it will updated when I can finalize some MIDI's that I'm working on, namely MFM 10, Ziggomatic 17 (6th minute) and Every Day, as well as a few bits and bobs from Tuss and Syro (very exciting), and/or get sent some from other people. Needs a visual upgrade as well haha. Check back when you can, I usually make a post if I add something new on here or Reddit. :)

Edited by slate

are his melodies really that complicated? he has a good ear for simplicity in my opinion but im no music phd

not really, but timbral variations in synth sounds tend to make things a bit harder to interpret. Plus some of his melodies use microtonal scales which can be a little frustrating to transcribe.

are his melodies really that complicated? he has a good ear for simplicity in my opinion but im no music phd

Yeah most of his tunes are relatively easy to convert into midi however mt saint michel seems a little more elusive; down to all the factors stated so far on this page of the thread. I was just hoping to see if someone could pull of a half decent transcription of it, the main acid line that is.

I've tried myself and failed, but have been much more successful with his other stuff. I managed to get the jist of the funky bassline in xmas eve down.

Edited by ceiling

this album must have been made with a tracker. who knows really. i think there is real analog in there, but its so full of random samples. Has a full sound but trackery. We need a drukqs interview

this album must have been made with a tracker. who knows really. i think there is real analog in there, but its so full of random samples. Has a full sound but trackery. We need a drukqs interview

I've thought a good deal about this. I believe drukqs is made primarily with glitched out audio. It feels kind of obvious. However because he chose to glitch things out, the album sounds quite 'wild' especially the fast tracks.

Whereas with Syro, it's obvious he spent a lot more time with the midi and automating things. The album also has a much calmer feel, and things feel like they were carefully tweaked, whereas a ton of the glitches on drukqs sound like they were 'found sounds' just throwing somewhat random FX in and such, but well placed for the composition of the track.

It's just nice sometimes seeing the sound visually laid out on a piano roll. I'd love to see an MFM 10 midi, Slate.

Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24438426/MIDI%20FILES/untitled10.mp3

Edited by slate

It's just nice sometimes seeing the sound visually laid out on a piano roll. I'd love to see an MFM 10 midi, Slate.

Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24438426/MIDI%20FILES/untitled10.mp3

Nailed it! Cool you managed to get the drums down too

It does sound very trackery, in that a lot of sounds have that resampled feel, lots of quick transitions etc.

It really could have been done in any software, but the drukqs style is definitely easiest to replicate in a tracker.

I've thought a good deal about this. I believe drukqs is made primarily with glitched out audio. It feels kind of obvious. However because he chose to glitch things out, the album sounds quite 'wild' especially the fast tracks.

Whereas with Syro, it's obvious he spent a lot more time with the midi and automating things. The album also has a much calmer feel, and things feel like they were carefully tweaked, whereas a ton of the glitches on drukqs sound like they were 'found sounds' just throwing somewhat random FX in and such, but well placed for the composition of the track.

The amount of detail in Syro is really insane, but it takes the right system and the right mindset to really pick it apart. The mixing and analog synth layers are harder to peel apart psychoacoustically (not sure if real use of word), variation is more subtle in that regard. Drukqs level of detail is a lot more upfront, but also has a steep listening curve, eventually it's imprinted in your mind. As accustomed I was to choppy glitchy breaky stuff, Syro is still taking a long time to sink in for me, I just got a new pair of cans and it really opened up the sound for me. It's a different beast altogether, even a lot different than the Tuss. makes me really excited to know what he's working towards next.

side note: I'm most excited about hearing the track he makes with the casio rz1 drum samples and the guy narrating. Hoping it captures some of that taking control vibe.