IGNORED

new squarepusher show (with new material) in march

d-a-m-o

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

the album is a demonstration of the real time, one-take setup he has been working on. implementing channels in live improv would take away from other things you would want to be controlling. it's a bit of a compromise, but really it seems like the project is well-suited to being mono, given the sound palette which lends itself to textures blending together.

i hate to say it but sitting through the Squarepusher dad jazz solo just to get to that end part that got kinda cool was excruciating.

So you got a real orchestra to perform your set with you?

Squarepusher: fok yeah

What kind of stuff are you going to have them play?

Squarepusher: they're gonna play strings over my dad jazz solo

i hate to say it but sitting through the Squarepusher dad jazz solo just to get to that end part that got kinda cool was excruciating.

lol

....i must love dad jazz

lol

....i must love dad jazz

Yes he's a fantastic bass player.

So which lovely people here are coming to the Barbican thing tomorrow ? Myself and Joe will be there to play an experimental minimal cubus set using no instruments or effects: The venue will be our instrument a la that colundi thing.

The gig was awesome imho, despite the fencing mask (but I guess it was because of the video projection all over him ?) and despite the lack of fun in the audience (Reims is known as one of the coldest towns in France, there were few people dancing during the gig, very few crowd reactions but it wasn't Tom's fault).

Then about the tunes...He played the upcoming album and then some old Squarepusher classics (Venus no. 17, Arterial Fantasy, Modern Bass Guitar, Tetra Sync and MOTHER F*CKING STEIBOOOOOLT)

He opened the gig with a piece mostly consisting of...noises. It settled the very dark mood of the new tracks pretty well. Then he played Stor Eiglass which was awesome, and then we were in for a massive treat.

Everything I've heard that night was awesome, I'd say the tracks were the most complex I ever heard from Squarepusher. Lots of noisy elements, lots of acid lines, LOTS OF BREAKS :music: Also, people went mad during Rayc Fire 2.

Overall it was really enjoyable, I can't wait until the album gets released !

PS : apologies WATMM but I wasn't able to record anything that night

So which lovely people here are coming to the Barbican thing tomorrow ? Myself and Joe will be there to play an experimental minimal cubus set using no instruments or effects: The venue will be our instrument a la that colundi thing.

I'll be there,can't wait. Was gonna eat locally a bit earlier but don't wanna pay £11.50 for congestion charge.

Gonna be awesome!!!!

Archived