Anyone seen the Fight for Space (2016) documentary?

"Fight for Space explores the past, present, and future state of the US Space Program, while making the argument that the exploration of space brings economic and cultural benefits to the nation. This film probes why and how the space program came adrift, will examine our current plans and asks, why don't we have a more ambitious space program and what steps can be taken to fix it?"

“Fight for Space is a documentary film that asks, why haven’t we gone back to the Moon, or sent humans to Mars? Weren’t we supposed to be there in the 80s? What lead to the decline of NASA’s budget and why is it stuck in low earth orbit? Filmed over the course of 4 years, Fight for Space is the product of thousands of Kickstarter supporters who believed that the exploration of space is worth fighting for. Over 60 interviews were conducted with astronauts, politicians, educators, historians, scientists, former NASA officials, commercial space entrepreneurs, and many other experts in the space community. It is a film like no other that tackles issues no other documentary has touched, featuring newly restored 35mm and 16mm footage from the National Archives NASA collection."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2878846/

http://www.fightforspace.com/

Thought it was really interesting and thought-provoking. 

Supported the kickstarter, so that's also why. 

Check it out if you can find it somewhere. 

1953 ussr starts testing hydrogen bomb

1954 us icbm program given high priority

1957 ussr tests their first icbm. sputnik placed in space later that year

1958 first full range us icbm test

1959 us deploys titan and atlas icbms. ussr deploys r-7a later that year

1961 kennedy announces goal to put a guy on the moon. apollo program begins.

its not like they wanted to put nukes on the moon or anything

Edited by very honest

• 3 weeks later...

sat outside yesterday for an hour to watch the meteor shower. saw three shooting stars, also saw two things that looked like ufos, same size as a star, not as bright but moving faster than a plane. I WANT TO BELIEVE. 

satellite? 

yeah well, that's what i'm told. i just don't understand, if it's a satellite shouldn't we see more of them at night, how many of them are up there? like thousands?

satellite? 

yeah well, that's what i'm told. i just don't understand, if it's a satellite shouldn't we see more of them at night, how many of them are up there? like thousands?

Many satellites -if not most- are in geostationary orbit, meaning they're far out at about 36.000km and they don't 'move' fast in the sky. They remain at the same spot above earth, so they don't move along with the stars during the night. Just some 500 are in low earth orbit and those are the ones you can see clearly. You can't see them all of the time though. You see them some time after sundown and before sunrise. Between those times they're in earth's shadow. When their solar panels reflect the sunlight just right they can become super bright. But that's just seconds long and then they 'disappear' again. You just need some luck.

You can also see the ISS easily with the naked eye, I saw that and Mir. Looks like a very bright, very fast (faster than a plane), star. 

You can also see the ISS easily with the naked eye, I saw that and Mir. Looks like a very bright, very fast (faster than a plane), star. 

Yeah that fucker is bright, seen at dusk and dawn.  

satellite? 

Many satellites -if not most- are in geostationary orbit, meaning they're far out at about 36.000km and they don't 'move' fast in the sky. They remain at the same spot above earth, so they don't move along with the stars during the night. Just some 500 are in low earth orbit and those are the ones you can see clearly. You can't see them all of the time though. You see them some time after sundown and before sunrise. Between those times they're in earth's shadow. When their solar panels reflect the sunlight just right they can become super bright. But that's just seconds long and then they 'disappear' again. You just need some luck.

I've seen satellites fairly often in rural areas with little light pollution, they look like really fast, steady planes that don't blink and fade in and out.

Only UFO I've seen high up in the sky started off looking like a satellite until it slowed down and veered off in a descent trajectory before disappearing. I would guess it was some high altitude test plane. I was at White Sands, NM and I figure what I was watching could of easily been over one of many test ranges in the American West.

aw yiss

bunch of declassified nuke tests were uploaded recently, some surreal and fascinating footage 

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow, Cassini will make its suicide dive into Saturn's atmosphere, and return the first deep atmospheric data in the planet's history:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/13/world/cassini-mission-ending/index.html

And so, Cassini, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Saturn, which you loved so well. Good night, sweet prince.