19 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2002.03086.pdf

Supermassive black holes, while giant cleansers of everything, also create huge amounts of water and organic compounds. When black holes collide or galaxies merge, their mass increases and stars stop forming as the black hole emits "active galactic nuclei" and the subsequent xray emission interact with the outer gases in the outer part of the galaxy  and start the process of creating water and tholin, which is a precursor to life when oxygen is added.

We might have all come from a black hole colliding with another black hole.

Also interesting and on topic: The last time our own galaxy had an active galactic nuclei event was a little over 3 million years ago, right before the first precursors of humans began to show up on Earth.

lol wut dude :cerious: I’m not sure there was a sentence in there that was correct

21 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

If you can summarize it better, be my guest.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, Entorwellian said:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2002.03086.pdf

Supermassive black holes, while giant cleansers of everything, also create huge amounts of water and organic compounds.

black holes don't really 'create' anything. the processes that happen around and because of (very large/active) black holes can cause all kinds of processes to happen, which i'm sure may include production of water, organic compounds, etc.

When black holes collide or galaxies merge, their mass increases and stars stop forming as the black hole emits "active galactic nuclei" and the subsequent xray emission interact with the outer gases in the outer part of the galaxy  and start the process of creating water and tholin, which is a precursor to life when oxygen is added.

(idk about the AGN specific claims) but 'precursor to life' means almost nothing tbh. first of all, you're implying precursor to life as we know it but there may be many other ways that life can exist. further, as the paper is saying, yeah, water and life in abundance is great for our known example of life, but there's a LOT of water and organic compounds all over the fuckin' place so just saying 'water + organic compounds + oxygen = life!' is misleading at best

We might have all come from a black hole colliding with another black hole.

no.

or, rather, if this is the logic you want to use, 'we might have all come from _____ colliding with a _______' could be fill in the blanks for literally nearly any two naturally-occurring things in space. but reductive statements like 'we all came from black holes colliding!' is where pseudo-sciences and shitty science writing/understanding thrive. 

^all of that i really wouldn't have cared much about, just mis-statements that are pretty common online for the most part. not too big of a deal but this was the kicker:

The last time our own galaxy had an active galactic nuclei event was a little over 3 million years ago, right before the first precursors of humans began to show up on Earth.

....what? not sure what you think the chain of events here is. humans arose naturally via the process over evolution that has been going on for essentially the entire existence of Earth as a rock. billions and billions of years. higher life forms arose and have been commonplace for hundreds upon hundreds of million years. yes, we've been getting a slow replenishment of water and some small amount of organic compounds via asteroids and such forever as well, but you seem to be saying that because (if) there was an AGN in our galaxy ~3 million years ago that it seeded the earth with some sort of special black hole organics that somehow directly resulted in humans? that's ridiculous. maybe that's not what you meant but idk how else to interpret that.... please clarify ?

Edited by auxien

the new cosmos season started monday. mondays at 8 est on nat geo. fox also produced and will air in the future. looks like they're airing 2 episodes every monday.

i really can't say enough about it. there is something spiritual and profound about space. and it's fascinatingly interesting. additionally, there is a lot that's just really cool about space exploration. it's also inspiring and illustrative of human development. and it's important. sagan really nailed it with his vision, presented in the original series.

i was worried the 2014 revival would be a lot of easy filler for introductory-level viewers, like many tv productions. i was very pleasantly surprised to find it brilliantly written and very tastefully and impressively executed. they did justice to the grand scope and forward-thinking message of sagan's original series.

since then i was worried another season may not happen, following an assistant on another production suggesting tyson may have hit on her. seth mcfarland, producer, and the team struggled for years to find funding for the costly new cosmos season. 

i just learned about "season 3" and wasn't sure what to expect. it's good! check it out

Edited by very honest

23 minutes ago, t yst r said:

You know it's Seth MacFarlane, right?

yep! i wonder if he was involved in the decision to do historical sequences with animation. one of the coolest things about the 2014 run was the sections on newton, giordano bruno, etc. brilliant choice on their part and it works perfectly. was cool to see it's continued in the new season. 

Edited by very honest

• 2 weeks later...

http://astrobiology.com/2020/03/life-could-be-common---but-not-in-our-neighborhood.html

Life Could Be Common - But Not In Our Neighborhood

http://astrobiology.com/2020/03/organic-molecules-discovered-by-curiosity-rover-consistent-with-early-life-on-mars.html

Organic Molecules Discovered By Curiosity Rover Consistent With Early Life On Mars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

New work finds that the Milky Way stretches nearly 2 million light-years across (aprox. 1.9 million light-years), more than 15 times wider than its luminous spiral disk.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.09497

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/astronomers-have-found-edge-milky-way-size

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

President Donald Trump signed an executive order today (April 6) establishing U.S. policy on the exploitation of off-Earth resources. That policy stresses that the current regulatory regime — notably, the 1967 Outer Space Treaty — allows the use of such resources.

The new executive order makes things even more official, stressing that the United States does not view space as a "global commons" and sees a clear path to off-Earth mining, without the need for further international treaty-level agreements.

https://www.space.com/trump-moon-mining-space-resources-executive-order.html

this is great. now we can be first in polluting the moon

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

shame, apparently there was a decent chance of it clearing up if only the window allowed them to wait for ten minutes, but it didn't.