On 4/13/2021 at 12:48 AM, auxien said:

bit more detail and explanation in here, but that PBS Spacetime vid^ is also a good one. more explanations i can get of this high-level stuff helps me understand, or at least get about as close as i can expect lol... still all up in the air tho, at about 20 minutes they start to get to the cold water 'okay well maybe it's not a new particle' discussion. i think the physicists kinda just want something new to be there tbh, but obv there's some shit that needs to be figured out one way or the other.

Found another video explaining the recent results from the Muon g-2 experiments with some more analogies.
I'm going to have to watch all these videos multiple times in order to fully comprehend them though.
I have love-hate relationship with Particle Physics. It's very interesting, but so incredibly complicated.
Especially Quantum Mechanics. No matter how much I read or watch videos about it, my brain just doesn't get it...

• Like 1
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

North Pole of Jupiter

Absolutely love the logo for it.         edit: damn, all I see now is oompa loompa hair.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Found another video explaining the recent results from the Muon g-2 experiments with some more analogies.
I'm going to have to watch all these videos multiple times in order to fully comprehend them though.
I have love-hate relationship with Particle Physics. It's very interesting, but so incredibly complicated.
Especially Quantum Mechanics. No matter how much I read or watch videos about it, my brain just doesn't get it...

oh, she's good yeah. she mentions right at the outset that 'there's not really even new particles theorized but this seems to be evidence for new particles' and imo that's a bit of a checkmark in the column for 'physicists just want there to be a new particle so any possible evidence that there is they're jumping on and claiming it's new particles/forces!' ...and she never mentions the other relevant study from the BMW group that basically just says that the measurements are fine, nothing new here, just some calculation errors in one or more of the experiments. but she does explain things pretty well there, maybe easier for some than the other vids.

yeah, i came to terms with the fact that there's a limit to how much us as laypersons will never grasp particle physics/QM fully...you'd have to be doing the math and deeply involved in the guts to 'get it' past a certain point. i can at least follow along for 90% of these discussions now so that's cool but it's taken literally decades of regular reading at varying levels. 

i really do think they're all getting too excited here...there was a fair amount of discussion after the Higgs discovery of 'okay, well so now we have all the particles we think, but shit still doesn't add up re: forces (gravity in particular) & grand scale observations/behaviors of the universe on a full time scale...plus discrepancies at the quantum level otherwise....' and so i think the physicists are just hoping something new will solve all their problems and be the key since the Higgs didn't do it. i don't think that any one new particle or group of new particles is going to be their savior. i'm of the mind that there's fundamental flaws in their understandings and assumptions about the basics that they're already aware of.

I don't want to come off as too cynical, because I love physics, but this kind of statement shows up every few years and then quietly goes away. I do hope they've found something new, but for the laymen, we should just put it in our back pocket, hope for the best, and forget about it til it's fully verified.

If we had a better understanding of the Higgs Field, that would help us define what time is. At that point, I think we would have a clearer idea of how the universe began. Maybe this new discovery will help us understand that.

tldr; I'm getting tired of the cock tease.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Freak of the week said:

no pain no gain

ha, i tried. i'm okay with some math but i'm pretty shit at actual physics, at least the intro stuff. maybe if i broke through a wall with that i could've gotten into some stuff, but i'm getting dumber as i age, doubt that's in the cards :derp:

49 minutes ago, Braintree said:

If we had a better understanding of _______

i really think that's where the path is going to be going forward....getting a better understanding of the things we already know about (gravity is i think the biggest problem, possibly directly related to our misunderstanding of the Higgs field)

14 hours ago, auxien said:

ha, i tried. i'm okay with some math but i'm pretty shit at actual physics, at least the intro stuff. maybe if i broke through a wall with that i could've gotten into some stuff, but i'm getting dumber as i age, doubt that's in the cards 

as far as the general physics goes, your best choice for "breaking the wall" would probably be stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.com/University-Physics-Modern-15th/dp/0135159555/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=university+physics&qid=1618561662&sr=8-2

there's also berkeley physics course: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=berkeley+physics+course&ref=nb_sb_noss

my favs, however, are russian books, in particular landau & lifshitz course of theoretical physics - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=landau+lifshitz&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 - imo the most elegant presentation of the material ever. however, it requires A LOT of writing, many mathematical steps being omitted in the books, but the physical ideas themselves are presented so clearly that it's incredible (for me, anyway).

and for the math background, schaum's outlines are excellent - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=schaum's+outline&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Roger Penrose's A Road to Reality covers pretty much all of physics and possible future theories but it's a fucking huge tome with 1100 pages and not the easiest read, but you can get the paperback pretty cheaply. Much cheaper than university text books.

Harry Benson's University Physics was what I had in university and it covers the pretty well the basics of all fields of physics up to special relativity and the basics of quantum mechanics. It's an easy read with lots of examples and exercises.

^really cool stuff, good diagram there, bigger than it looks in the video.

video looks weirdly fake, i guess just because of how slightly odd all aspects are (different air, larger drone, low quality video, etc?)

Higher resolution video:

7 minutes ago, auxien said:

video looks weirdly fake

Man, people thought the moon landing conspiracy nuts were bad, wait until they start spinning up the conspiracies on this one.

• Like 3

yeah, i'd seen the full version, but just the quality it's recorded in is low. still got the jittery and 'light' feel of the drone...might still be there if it was recorded by a full pro film crew tho, with the lack of atmosphere and the drone itself. lol the conspiracy nuts will go for anything basically of course....and now we've got confirmed US aerial invasion of an alien world. :datboi:

@auxien Yeah for sure, I know what you mean. I'm guessing it's the lack of atmosphere that causes something like light not reflecting as much, as well as it likely being the Mastcam that took the video, which apparently only has a resolution of 2MP.

Good article here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-04-19/mars-nasa-helicopter-ingenuity-to-take-historic-flight/100055364

• Thanks 1

^this from that article made me laugh: 

Then after slowly unfurling from its hiding spot, it was dropped on the Martian surface last week to fend for itself and survive through its first freezing night.

fucking alien horror description there  :trap:

• Farnsworth 1

We really need a Rick reaction emoji to go along with the Farnsworth one.

2 hours ago, auxien said:

Rick reaction?

Season 1 Omg GIF by Rick and Morty

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1