stsci-01g8kcnd8k1zw33an81bvx91mn.png?ito

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has peered into the chaos of the Cartwheel Galaxy, revealing new details about star formation and the galaxy’s central black hole. Webb’s powerful infrared gaze produced this detailed image of the Cartwheel and two smaller companion galaxies against a backdrop of many other galaxies. This image provides a new view of how the Cartwheel Galaxy has changed over billions of years.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/webb-captures-stellar-gymnastics-in-the-cartwheel-galaxy

SpinLaunch
Kinetic energy space launch system. (instead of 1st stage chemical rockets)

The technology uses a vacuum-sealed centrifuge to spin a payload (a satellite with a small rocket) on a carbon tether and then hurl it through the Earth's atmosphere to space at up to 5,000 miles per hour (8,000 km/h). The rocket for the satellite then ignites its engines at an altitude of roughly 200,000 ft (61,000 m) to reach orbital speed of 17,500 miles per hour (28,200 km/h). Peak acceleration would be approximately 10,000 g.

So like a space-sling, or better a yeet machine. Very cool.

Science_spinlaunchinline_JONATHAN-R3-Spi

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2

Yo mama's so dense that the positions of her fermionic matter are so fixed that their momentum must be exceedingly large because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_matter

Edit:  it's so wild to me that the uncertainty principle is what keeps neutron stars and black holes from collapsing further than they do.  It's like the universal density limit.  Once you pack enough stuff into a small enough space, their positions become so fixed that Heisenberg says that their momentum must go way up to keep the uncertainty, and the pressure from the higher particle momentum keeps it from collapsing more.

Edited by randomsummer
  • Farnsworth 2

That must be an illustration of the uncertainty of measurements. The more precise you measure either position or momentum, the more uncertain your simultaneous measurement of the other becomes.

The uncertainty principle is also what causes zero point energy. If you could cool a particle down to absolute zero, it wouldn't stop vibrating because then its position and momentum would both become exactly known.  So there's still some vibration energy even at absolute zero because Heisenberg says you can't know both position and momentum with very high accuracy.

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:34 AM, prdctvsm said:

4rbsg6q5s0h91.png

so technically the 'supermassive black hole' is an infinitesimal point that isn't that 'size' since it's not really a three dimensional object anymore. it's a 1 dimensional object i think? (it's more math than physical object as far as we can even begin to comprehend it at this point).....it's the event horizon around it that grows larger as more mass falls into the singularity.  and i think there's some weird shit speculated or mathed out that any mass at that horizon is in some ways infinitely falling into the singularity once it crosses over that event horizon's threshold....but a lot of that trying to understand or explain anything going on 'within' is sorta just....ludicrous. it's where spacetime just stops being spacetime really, so trying to understand it is academic at this point (since we don't really understand a lot of those weird edges and bits of spacetime in normal space) and likely academic forever since we'll never be able to actually experiment on such things. 

sorry, that pic is interesting, but it's irked me since it was posted and i'm procrastinating so 

Spoiler

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

edit: not actually trying to actually... here, it just always fascinates me much more to think about the reality of black holes and how fucking mindbending they are.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

so technically the 'supermassive black hole' is an infinitesimal point that isn't that 'size' since it's not really a three dimensional object anymore. it's a 1 dimensional object i think? (it's more math than physical object as far as we can even begin to comprehend it at this point).....it's the event horizon around it that grows larger as more mass falls into the singularity.  and i think there's some weird shit speculated or mathed out that any mass at that horizon is in some ways infinitely falling into the singularity once it crosses over that event horizon's threshold....but a lot of that trying to understand or explain anything going on 'within' is sorta just....ludicrous. it's where spacetime just stops being spacetime really, so trying to understand it is academic at this point (since we don't really understand a lot of those weird edges and bits of spacetime in normal space) and likely academic forever since we'll never be able to actually experiment on such things. 

sorry, that pic is interesting, but it's irked me since it was posted and i'm procrastinating so 

Reveal hidden contents

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

edit: not actually trying to actually... here, it just always fascinates me much more to think about the reality of black holes and how fucking mindbending they are.

I think we can calculate the size of black holes, I think the singularity comes about because anything that massive breaks Einstein's equations by turning that area into a singularity.  That's because there's no quantum stuff in relativity.  A black hole is weird in that it's such a massive object where quantum effects dominate.

The spacetime stuff is also from relativity, so if you could live inside a black hole, time might not stand exactly still relative to an outside observer because the mass isn't really infinite. I'm not sure if anyone has worked out time dilation with quantum effects.

• Like 1