IGNORED

Better Call Saul (spoilers ahoy)

Rubin Farr

Saw these last night. Glad Mike seems to be a regular.

edit: Thought he'd just have bit parts here & there.

Edited by olo

Yeah hoping Mike is the other lead, Michael Mckean will play Saul's brother, we might see Huley, and Bryan Cranston & Aaron Paul will pop up from time to time in the background. Albuquerque isn't that big.

The 2nd video reminded me of this:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep all doubts cast aside Vince is gonna take us on another great ride. Glad to see it has the same production tier as Breaking Bad... My only qualm right now is that I can't marathon to the next episode.

I loved the little moment between Jimmy and Mike as the toll booth guy. Mike is fuckin great, glad he'll be back in this series as well.

Liked the cold open. Kinda bored by the rest of it. Everything was done fine (acting/direction/cinematography), but no major feels yet. See how part 2 goes tonight. Not down with adding

Tuco

so soon. Was hoping the show would develop before adding BB characters. Besides Mike that is.

Lets see where it goes/10

Edited by olo

are these airing every night until the season is over? is waiting a week for the next installment not the way to do tv anymore? if thats the case, thanks netflix!

i really enjoyed last nights episode but i have an underlying fear that theyre gonna go over the top with breaking bad callbacks and cheese it up a bit. regardless i'm pretty excited to see whatever crazy stuff goes down tonight.

Not down with adding

Tuco

yeah, i felt like that was walking the fine line between "cool shout-out for the fans" and "building hype with material from another show"

other than that i enjoyed it quite a bit. dave porter seems to have come up with an entirely new sound palette for this thing, which is impressive considering the range of sounds the BrBa ost had.

Not down with adding

Tuco

yeah, i felt like that was walking the fine line between "cool shout-out for the fans" and "building hype with material from another show"

Technically, that character should be around for however long this show runs really. I wonder how integral he'll be for the series? Saul didn't have anything to do with him in the breaking bad series though did he?

are these airing every night until the season is over? is waiting a week for the next installment not the way to do tv anymore? if thats the case, thanks netflix!

i really enjoyed last nights episode but i have an underlying fear that theyre gonna go over the top with breaking bad callbacks and cheese it up a bit. regardless i'm pretty excited to see whatever crazy stuff goes down tonight.

No just the 2 part premiere, Sun is regular time slot.

Average episode i reckon ae. Kinda lame cliffhanger and i don't really like how so many breaking bad characters are incorporated

felt the same, I mean I knew going in this was going to inevitably (drastically) change our understanding of the character relationships in Breaking Bad, and I have to say I can't see that ending up good in any way. A prequel by design of something we already love is destined to sort of fuck up in some way. If it was trying to be it's own show with it's own set of characters with little/no connection to the Breaking Bad story I could see it working out, but no. The Tuco appearance at the end was a little bit like wtf you guys are already leading into the Breaking Bad plot? maybe a little too soon? weird

edit: also i little more heavy/overly dramatic than i was expecting.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

They're still set many years before BrBa (date on the video in the trial was oct. 2001, Breaking Bad starts in 2008/2009). There's lots of room for things to come and go and come again. Referring to the character at the end of the episode.

Thought the episode was really good and on it's way to blazing its own trail. It could get really messy if there's too much crossover, I agree. But if it's handled well, who knows (considering Vince Gilligan and the crew). There were also lots of subtle references. But I think even these will thin out drastically as the show goes on. Looking forward to the second ep.

Vince gilligan I do have a lot of faith in, but besides Breaking Bad (which was fairly consistently brilliant) he has had his hand in some misfires (odd ones, but still not great results). Take the other spin-off show that he took the helm of after leaving the X-files, The Lone Gunmen. Did not turn out well, which was surprising since the episodes of the X-files he was behind were probably the best ones. I think at some point he knew he had drastically fucked up doing his own show and went back to the X-files to write the episode 'Jump the Shark' where he killed off all the lone gunmen at once, so his self awareness is what gives me pause from pre-judging Better Call Saul. .

edit: but i still found a lot more than just simple nitpciks in the first episode. Take for example the skateboard ramp lecture/slipping jimmy story, how much did that remind you of one of those (eventually overused) allegorical monologues (Jesse's had to put down the dog story) from Breaking Bad? The writing felt a little bit tired to me. I'm personally much more interested in watching stuff about Saul from after the Breaking Bad storyline, I was a little disappointed when they pulled away from the black and white opening scene of him living in what looks like witness protection. I hope they do don't do many things that alter or fundamentally change our understanding of Breaking Bad's storyline, and instead just flesh out the universe more. I would almost be ok with them showing more of the German madrigal or Grey Matter side of things, that was a side of the plot that never got much explanation, but the Mexican drug cartel stuff at least for me doesn't need more of a back story

Edited by John Ehrlichman