IGNORED

Better Call Saul (spoilers ahoy)

Rubin Farr

Guest Gravity

the cinematography of bb is back.

definitely, so nice to have it back.

2nd ep spoiler...

dat leg breaking scene... fuck. wasn't expecting to have all that tuco horror back so soon... didn't read up on BCS at all before watching

the cinematography of bb is back.

definitely, so nice to have it back.

2nd ep spoiler...

dat leg breaking scene... fuck. wasn't expecting to have all that tuco horror back so soon... didn't read up on BCS at all before watching

Yeah, that was pretty intense...

Liked the 2nd epsiode that aired last night more. Some tense, darkly comedic sequences. They've replaced the cooking meth montage, with the Saul in the courthouse montage. Which I liked.

To John's earlier points, I wonder if Vince is gonna play with time eventually. Going back to Saul post BrBa for certain segments of the show instead of it all being set in the past? I might dig that.

it's working.

yeah the cinematography is really cool and caught my attention as well, was really surprised how interesting and refreshing it is because i haven't seen anything like that since bb.

Not seen anything of this so far but skimmed over this thread without reading too much, good to see the pilot was well recieved. Saul was pivotal as hell in BB, will be weird seeing him out on his own without the 2 protagonists. Do u think they are gonna go down a more comedic route? Looking forward to bringing out 4 episodes at a time.

Do u think they are gonna go down a more comedic route?

not totally. right now it's on the level of "walt drags a big potted plant around to intimidate Ted Beneke", but it hasn't reached the zaniness of "dissolved dead body falls through the ceiling"

I'm interested after 1 episode. especially after watching walking dead. Saul was infinitely more interesting. the cinematography of bb is back.

I thought some of the shots felt a little cheap: like the down through the ceiling shot - but I think Gilligan and his creative team are good enough to keep the cinematography fresh and exciting.

Not seen anything of this so far but skimmed over this thread without reading too much, good to see the pilot was well recieved. Saul was pivotal as hell in BB, will be weird seeing him out on his own without the 2 protagonists. Do u think they are gonna go down a more comedic route? Looking forward to bringing out 4 episodes at a time.

The humour is very dark. very dark indeed.

Also to whoever was postulating about time fuckery - they have already established that - the opening scene where Saul is working in the Cinnabon?

Also to whoever was postulating about time fuckery - they have already established that - the opening scene where Saul is working in the Cinnabon?

i was originally hoping that they would do more of the post BB timeline instead of before it, no matter how good this show ends up being I am truly infuriated by the idea of a prequel altering/changing my understanding of something I love. No matter how hard I try the memory of Prometheus does kind of fuck up (in a mini way) my love for Alien. I cant help it

so damn good! I never considered the time fuckery other than the opening scene really just letting you know he made it. might be cool though.

edit: according to Wikipedia...

Set in 2002, Better Call Saul is about small-time lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk), seven years before his appearance on Breaking Bad, though events during and after the original series are also explored.

Edited by jules

Bob Odenkirk said in this interview released two days ago that the series will jump around and play with the timeline. And Vince said somewhere else that it's likely that they will explore post-BB Saul. (great interview -- especially the second half) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lfVasKQiJQ

Second episode was good shit and it's fun watching the journey from insecure James McGill to cocksure Saul Goodman. I feel like there's so much possibility to look forward to.

Edited by melancholera

Yes, ofcourse. I meant as an ongoing thing every now & then. I don't know if that cold open is indicative of alternating timelines or just the way they started the series. A one off.

i was originally hoping that they would do more of the post BB timeline instead of before it, no matter how good this show ends up being I am truly infuriated by the idea of a prequel altering/changing my understanding of something I love. No matter how hard I try the memory of Prometheus does kind of fuck up (in a mini way) my love for Alien. I cant help it

I was in the same zone, but after the first 2 episodes, I'm less worried. The idea of going pre/post BrBa with alternating timelines could be interesting. Storyline from past converges into post Brba world with Saul in hiding or some shat. Let's never discuss Prometheus again. It fucked up alien for me in more than a mini way.

My only beef with ep2 is that montage. I can't help but think a montage is laze.

I liked the courthouse montages even though it is a rip of the meth montages. Jimmy is a lawyer, so you need to see that world to keep the show honest. But too much courtroom would be "like insert any courtroom drama show on TV". It's just an effective way to show that world quickly via montage.

so damn good! I never considered the time fuckery other than the opening scene really just letting you know he made it. might be cool though.

edit: according to Wikipedia...

though events during and after the original series are also explored.

There we go. Good pull Jules.

Edited by olo

Bob Odenkirk said in this interview released two days ago that the series will jump around and play with the timeline. And Vince said somewhere else that it's likely that they will explore post-BB Saul. (great interview -- especially the second half) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lfVasKQiJQ

Second episode was good shit and it's fun watching the journey from insecure James McGill to cocksure Saul Goodman. I feel like there's so much possibility to look forward to.

:cisfor:

the fact that events after bb are going to be "explored" is very reassuring, i thought it was only going to deal with pre-bb stuff, which obviously makes it quite predictable and limiting.

Edited by eugene

Who do we think will be the next BB character to appear? Huell, Badger, Gus? The online comic establishes they don't meet Badger until just prior to Season 2 Episode 8, so that might take a while. Is Mike possibly undercover? He seemed to have a lot of criminal contacts to just be an innocent old attendant.

I'm sold after seeing episode 2. Parts of it I didn't love, but it kept me interested and wanting to see more.
My sense of Mike working as the attendant, maybe he's on probation of some kind? Community service for the court, something like that. Or maybe he's an ex-cop who did something bad to get kicked off the force and this is the only job the city/county was still willing to give him. It might be more interesting if Saul was the one who got Mike into the criminal world. As George Lucas so famously said this show has a lot of 'echoes' and they aren't as bad as I feared, the parallels between Saul and Walt have been done tastefully.

Edited by John Ehrlichman