IGNORED

Better Call Saul (spoilers ahoy)

Rubin Farr

Chuck was trying to get his lackey's fingerprints on the tape recorder, right?  I'm not sure what for, as Hamlin told him it would be useless in court.  Unless he's trying to get Jimmy disbarred with some fabricated scheme?

this ep seemed to go a long way to travel a short distance, still love the Cinnabon stuff.

I wasn't paying attention much during this episode, also I was quite out of the loop on basically every plot from season 2 so I might be wrong, but I think he intentionally got Ernesto to listen to that specific bit with the knowledge that Ernesto will spread the word and take action, so that this evidence is more believable in court (as opposed to just bringing out this evidence out of the blue). Hence the way Chuck overreacted about it? I dunno. 

Guess I nailed it. Sort of. :dadjoke:

Good episode. I'm back on track now, very into it again. 

It seemed kinda convenient he was sure Jimmy would come over, what if he just called Chuck and screamed at him thru the phone? Chuck would be stuck again, either record someone without their consent, or it would be his word against his, etc.

It seemed kinda convenient he was sure Jimmy would come over, what if he just called Chuck and screamed at him thru the phone? Chuck would be stuck again, either record someone without their consent, or it would be his word against his, etc.

Well, that's because it's NOT REAL. It's just a SHOW. MAKE-BELIEVE.

:dadjoke:

Very convenient yes. They are trying to push Jimmy into Saul fairly quickly it seems. I guess they set up Jimmy's seething anger with the air force guy last week to make his explosion on Chuck more believable and get the Chuck nails Jimmy plot point checked. 

I'm neither here nor there about it. Just sitting back for the ride.

Also what Herr Jan said. It's a show, and has to move certain plots along with the constraint of the seasons episode order.

Edited by olo

Very cool to see the Cartel again, I noticed when Eladio died on BB, the last shot of him was face down in the pool, and here when we first meet him, it's face down in the pool.  How very Jason Bourne of them.

Good episode. Only problem I had was none of Gus's employees made an attempt to contact the authorities during or after Hector's visit? Your boss tells you to leave where he'll be left alone with several obviously "shady" characters & you don't think to call the cops? Little lax there Vince...

I like that Gus prevented Mike from killing Hector, who in turn killed Gus, lol.

Gus's hubris got him blowed up. 

good fun indeed. i think that it being a breaking bad spin off that has its particular requirements and obligatory boxes to tick in the form of leading it to breaking bad events, shoving of bb characters and sticking to already known storylines is actually hurting it, it could have easily been an independent show.

Edited by eugene

yeah, that was great. not sure if it was the best from the whole series, but nice build up from the previous episodes and a great performance again from McKean.

I knew Chuck's exit would be big, a nervous breakdown, heart attack or stroke, some kind of breaking point. I knew there'd be a big moment in the hearing but holy shit, nothing like that. The key was that Jimmy didn't even hide anything or lie - he flat out said he asked the witness to plant the battery. He had nothing to lose and he went all in. Chuck didn't back down in his crusade and he caused his own downfall. There were hints that others were torn or even sympathetic to Jimmy in the hearing. Hell, Hamlin was obviously antsy to get the thing over with, it's important to remember from episode 1 he's been trying to get Chuck, not Jimmy, out of the way as a potential liability to the firm, which is one of the biggest ironies in the show.

The flashback was pretty insightful as well. I really do think Chuck's condition is psychosomatic and now we can kind of see it in a stage where it was emerging.

I knew Chuck's exit would be big, a nervous breakdown, heart attack or stroke, some kind of breaking point. I knew there'd be a big moment in the hearing but holy shit, nothing like that. The key was that Jimmy didn't even hide anything or lie - he flat out said he asked the witness to plant the battery. He had nothing to lose and he went all in. Chuck didn't back down in his crusade and he caused his own downfall. There were hints that others were torn or even sympathetic to Jimmy in the hearing. Hell, Hamlin was obviously antsy to get the thing over with, it's important to remember from episode 1 he's been trying to get Chuck, not Jimmy, out of the way as a potential liability to the firm, which is one of the biggest ironies in the show.

The flashback was pretty insightful as well. I really do think Chuck's condition is psychosomatic and now we can kind of see it in a stage where it was emerging.

I read a theory somewhere that his disorder is entirely related to a lack of control. In the flashback he was fine when Rebecca had her cell phone, it wasn't until she started talking to a man about leaving again that he started to freak out. Also in the copy shop he wasn't in pain until the clerk refused to comply with his demands. There's other examples but they all seem to relate to Chuck losing control in a situation.

having been suffering anxiety recently, the actual sense of almost physical pain was entirely dependent on certain conditions, a certain time of day in work, or the noise level of the chatting customers behind me, or knowing i only had 7 hours left to try to sleep, and actually stay asleep before a 16 hour shift. i can completely imagine his condition first hand. 

Edited by messiaen

Chuck is BCS's version of Frank Grimes. Electrocution imminent. Would be ironic I gather.

18341865_1339718749452885_48288645012410

LOL

Pretty good episode last night touching on all the show players. Chuck got his courage up after some Macallan?, Nacho is at a fork in the road, Mike gotta pour some concrete, Kim...is well, Kim, Gus is looking to buy a familiar factory & a Saul Goodman is born...with star wipes.

^ No I think there's a few more seasons left but things are falling in place pretty damn quickly.

Gustavo found the megalab location. Jimmy came up with the Saul name and seemingly is about to kick-off his new identity. Chuck is already rebounding. Hector is about to have his health go downhill. Mike, Saul, and Gus are all about to fall in place as a working group. A lot of stuff seems imminent. We still have no idea how Chuck and Kim exit Jimmy's life though or what their fates are.