IGNORED

Better Call Saul (spoilers ahoy)

Rubin Farr

I originally thought that Chuck was in some sort of catatonic state not knowing what he was doing kicking the table. But the suicide hotline shown during the credits says otherwise.

I like the theory that Chuck's condition was triggered by guilt over how he treats Jimmy and his worry over Jimmy. Thus saying what he said to Jimmy ("You never mattered that much to me.") being so cold and horrible triggered an attack that he couldn't come back from. The show has the best depiction of mental illness I've ever seen. 

One thing that occurred to me too, is that it's likely that Jimmy (and everyone else) will never know that it was a suicide, but will think it was an accident.

Edited by melancholera

One thing that occurred to me too, is that it's likely that Jimmy (and everyone else) will never know that it was a suicide, but will think it was an accident.

yeah, his outward appearance as a remorseless asshole was pretty convincing.

wonder what Chuck's will situation was, can't imagine if he had time to think about it before his final decision he'd have left it all to Jimmy, perhaps not without a condition that he stopped practicing law or something, he may have written him out long ago though as well. some of that HHM payoff would certainly help him and Kim get back on their feet, doesn't seem likely though.

wonder what Chuck's will situation was, can't imagine if he had time to think about it before his final decision he'd have left it all to Jimmy, perhaps not without a condition that he stopped practicing law or something, he may have written him out long ago though as well. some of that HHM payoff would certainly help him and Kim get back on their feet, doesn't seem likely though.

Interesting thought. A guy like Chuck would definitely have a will. If the writers do include that in the next season, I'd assume it would go to his ex-wife and probably institutions he valued. Doubtful Jimmy was included.

yeah, his outward appearance as a remorseless asshole was pretty convincing.

I think the last person Chuck actually cared about was his ex-wife, and since she had seen him humiliated in court with Jimmy's set up, he thought he really had nothing left to live for, and so by verbally distancing himself from Jimmy, he could wrap it all up in his head as his only option. I wouldn't totally bet Chuck is dead though, or that Hector is 100% disabled yet, they both might have a ways to go in season 4. It was cool seeing the irony of Gus coming to Hector's aid, after Hector ends up killing him in the end.

The latest interesting theory I read is that Kim becomes a pill head and that Jimmy ends up getting involved with dealers to provide for her. It's shown she's prone to addictive behavior, mainly with work, and she opted for painkillers and referred to them as the good stuff. She also watched To Kill A Mockingbird twice in one day.

The latest interesting theory I read is that Kim becomes a pill head and that Jimmy ends up getting involved with dealers to provide for her. It's shown she's prone to addictive behavior, mainly with work, and she opted for painkillers and referred to them as the good stuff. She also watched To Kill A Mockingbird twice in one day.

I thought maybe she'd have a delayed brain injury and we'd have a dying in the hospital situation, or sudden death. I still think Jimmy will buy it in whenever the series finale is, tracked down to the Cinnabon lol.

Great final episode. I quite liked that it was "quiet" - two old men just letting their hubris topple them.

Pointless fanboy pedantry but - is Jimmy's mention of "Relaxathon 2003" the only specific mention of a year in BB/BCS?

A few episodes back, I was certain season 3 would be the last. Things were wrapping up quickly and we seemed to be inching towards the 'start point' of Breaking Bad. But it looks like we still have a couple of loose ends so there has to be another one, surely?

is there any reason it cant overlap with breaking bad? saul could have been upto all sorts of off screen shit during dealing with walt and jesse.

that would be a nice way to end the series actually, showing stuff behind the scenes that you never saw in BB, interspersed with whatever is going to happen to future jimmy at cinnabon.

i think they will do 5 seasons and it will be Vince Gilligan's decision to stop at that point. I'm sure he had the whole thing loosely mapped out before he started.

I think we may be in for a time skip in S4, possibly right at the start. The finale explicitly stated that we're still 5 years from Breaking Bad ("relaxathon 2003"). Maybe will happen after showing the immediate fallout of Chuck's death.

• 9 months later...

Michael McKean should win an Emmy for his role. He's incredible in this show. His breakdown at the hearing against Jimmy was incredible acting. 

Edited by marf

• 2 months later...

Season 4 Premiere Monday, Aug. 6th @ 9pm.

woot.

edit: synopsis

“In Better Call Saul‘s fourth season,” the official release teases, “Chuck’s death catalyzes Jimmy McGill’s transformation into Saul Goodman. In the wake of his loss, Jimmy takes steps into the criminal world that will put his future as a lawyer — and his relationship with Kim — in jeopardy. Chuck’s death deeply affects former colleagues Howard (Patrick Fabian) and Kim as well, putting the two of them once again on opposite sides of a battle sparked by the Brothers McGill.”

As for Mike, he “takes a more active role as Madrigal Electromotive’s newest (and most thorough) security consultant. It’s a volatile time to be in Gus Fring’s employ, as Hector’s collapse sends shock waves throughout the Albuquerque underworld and throws the cartel into chaos — tearing apart both Gus and Nacho’s well-laid plans. While Gus changes course, Nacho finds himself in the crosshairs of deadly forces.”

Edited by olo

• 1 month later...

Season 1 was kind of perfect. But season 2 and 3 felt like one actual season of TV content spreeeeeeaaaaaddddd out into two seasons to make things reeeaaaallllyyyy sllllllooooooowwww.

Season 3 of Preacher has been a real slog so far. I never liked Jesse, but he is becoming insufferable. Sadly, Tulip is becoming the same. Just really annoyed viewing at this point. Pick it up guys.

Edited by olo