nature

Can he get an offical subforum?

There are many more examples and projects to support the cause...

Edited by nature

Ima fan! Of Legowelt, not of subforums... *badumtsssh*

Also, this thread needs more jumping women in spandex ;D

zentai-zentai-catsuits-spandex-women-119

Edit:shoot... Embedding doesnt seem to work...

Edited by goDel

Ima fan! Of Legowelt, not of subforums... *badumtsssh*

Also, this thread needs more jumping women in spandex ;D

zentai-zentai-catsuits-spandex-women-119

Edit:shoot... Embedding doesnt seem to work...

couldn't agree more!

Another Legowelt subforum vote, although it's probably not gonna happen :) a main Legowelt thread is fine too though.

Here's a thread on some of his ambient stuff - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/83629-occult-orientated-crime-legowelt/

Anyway, he's definitely one of my alltime fave producers, extremely prolific and blessed with the midas touch. Since there's so much ridiculous good Legowelt tracks I'll just post the most recent tracks that I've been completely in love with:

https://soundcloud.com/legowelt-official/japanese-planetarium

I agree with you Herr Jan. Legowelt was off my radar for most of the 90/00's, I started paying attention to him about a decade ago and ever since he's been one of the best in my mind. He continues to create timeless pieces. Is it me or is he under-appreciated here? I really have no idea how WATMM feels about his body of work.

I think he's reasonably well-liked here but not to the point where we need a subforum, and besides his style seems a bit left-field compared to WATMM's typical braindance focus. I've been into his stuff for longer than I've been into most of the "featured artists", but he'd be an odd addition to that list.

Starting threads in Music Discussion for every little thing he does would be nuts obviously, but that thing we do where the minor Legowelt related news gets posted in whatever the latest big Legowelt thread is, seems to work well.

My wife got home when I was watching Space Weed. No words were said. I felt her confusion.

lol, I can imagine. I love that jam part, apparently it was made in 20 minutes!

Anyway, new Legowelt ambient album on a new label: https://legowelt.bandcamp.com/album/the-occult-orientated-crime-album

Legowelt was great up till 2005 then he started to try to impress the mongs on the old Cybernetic Broadcasting System forum and his tracks and style went to shit. I hate this idea that if a track is made "in one go on the live" that it's better because it retains a certain energy, the result just shows lack of effort and sounds lazy in my opinion. Also if Legovelt is reading this, please stop pretending you're a black guy from Chicago and go back at pretending you're a fat italian.

Legowelt was great up till 2005 then he started to try to impress the mongs on the old Cybernetic Broadcasting System forum and his tracks and style went to shit. I hate this idea that if a track is made "in one go on the live" that it's better because it retains a certain energy, the result just shows lack of effort and sounds lazy in my opinion. Also if Legovelt is reading this, please stop pretending you're a black guy from Chicago and go back at pretending you're a fat italian.

haha

I love Legowelt but...err i kinda agree

(please don't put a retro hex on me, Mr. Legowelt)

So, basically he shouldn't try to impress anyone and just do his own thing but only if that thing is to just release the same Italo influenced stuff he already mastered 15 years ago? And if he should try to do this, isn't he just trying to impress the vasio mong on the watmm forum :)?

I agree though that not all of those 'raw / live' tracks are overwhelming in quality and effort, especially with his earlier Strange Life albums, but he himself claims admits to have a low quality barrier too, but that wasn't different before 2005. He also admits working a lot longer on proper Legowelt tracks, as opposed to other aliases, and I can really hear that in for example that recent Clone album (The Paranormal Soul).

I don't prefer anything (just good music), live or programmed to hell, but I'd rather have him change his sound / studio every now and then. He still releases EP's with tracks that are hit or miss, but when it hits... Always worth the experiment instead of playing safe by just bashing out the same albums like some Motorhead-style album factory. The way I see it, he's doing his own thing more than anyone else in that scene these days.

So, basically he shouldn't try to impress anyone and just do his own thing but only if that thing is to just release the same Italo influenced stuff he already mastered 15 years ago? And if he should try to do this, isn't he just trying to impress the vasio mong on the watmm forum :)?

I agree though that not all of those 'raw / live' tracks are overwhelming in quality and effort, especially with his earlier Strange Life albums, but he himself claims admits to have a low quality barrier too, but that wasn't different before 2005. He also admits working a lot longer on proper Legowelt tracks, as opposed to other aliases, and I can really hear that in for example that recent Clone album (The Paranormal Soul).

I don't prefer anything (just good music), live or programmed to hell, but I'd rather have him change his sound / studio every now and then. He still releases EP's with tracks that are hit or miss, but when it hits... Always worth the experiment instead of playing safe by just bashing out the same albums like some Motorhead-style album factory. The way I see it, he's doing his own thing more than anyone else in that scene these days.

I love almost everything I've heard from him. Old and new. In my opinion he's been hitting more than missing these days. Good music is good music.

Edited by nature

He was serving gourmet dishes time and time again, now he's serving leftovers and dishes prepared with "mystical" ingredients that he thinks only he can extract the flavors but in reality just taste like mud. So what if he mastered that sound? What kind of retard argument is that? I would prefer if Dillinja used the apache break on every single track if it meant that he was still producing tracks with the same quality as his mid 90's work. I would prefer if Gerald Donald was still using the Computer World template than the boring stuff he is producing since 2007, using the same exact sounds every single time, he's being remixing and redoing the same track over and over.

Legowelt said that before he would slave over a track and that he had a big mixing desk and that now he just makes the tracks in a few hours... guess what? It shows. It's pure drivel with no focus, concept or imagination, makes every synth sound the same, he suxxx.

No need to attack with retard accusations here, remember, it's just taste :)

What I meant with that 'mastered' sentence was that he thinks he has done enough with that style, so goes on with other stuff. No need for the artist to repeat it, as much as fans feel entitled to hear more of that stuff. I still respect Squarepusher because of the same reason, even though I disliked his last couple of albums, at least I'm pretty confident he'll do something completely different everytime. Nevermind, I'll just let my avatar do the talking :biggrin:

"They always want a return to OUR old albums, but that is philosophically impossible, they really only want to rediscover again the first time they heard Under a Funeral Moon, and that is ALSO impossible. But when I want Bonded By Blood by Exodus, I go and listen once more to that album. I don’t sit and dream about Exodus making that album once more. Because if they DID get that exact same sound the riffs and songs would be different and you would still react as if it had changed a lot. It is philosophically invalid wishes. And especially has no root in reality."

He has always claimed to making his tracks in a few hours btw, also before 2005. He made the distinction between Legowelt tracks (harder work) and for example Polarius (quick, live, raw, like his fave track, Apollo Park, was made in less than an hour! In the early 2000's! Same with Gladio, etc.).

TL:DR - I still like his stuff, new and old. All good :)

yeah dude is great, was nice to meet him and have a nice chat about his tour and music. seemed very humble and happy to talk with wasted me. I dig a lot of his new tracks, this is one of the best things to come out in recent years imo

2003 release, classic Legowelt, funky, groovy stuff:

http://www.discogs.com/Gladio-Slave-Of-Rome/master/387009

2007 release, esoteric trash:

http://www.discogs.com/Gladio-Hadrians-Wall-EP/master/11189

2005 was already losing the juice but he still had it:

http://www.discogs.com/Chicago-Shags-Chicago-Shags/master/398223

By 2011... Orgue is another one, I don't get the Chicago influence in their later stuff:

http://www.discogs.com/Chicago-Shags-Lost-In-A-Blue-Night/release/2889452

What the fuck is this shit honestly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmP2DsqzMVk#t=179

And this, you're telling me he put any effort into this drivel?

http://www.discogs.com/Legowelt-Vatos-Locos/master/64179

A candle that burned too fast, also you act like Xosar doesn't exist, which I might add makes better house/techno/ambient tracks than him now. I suspect he makes the tracks that he makes now partially to impress her, his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

Either way Legowelt should stick to what he does best and that's electro-disco and italo traxxx.

How can anyone deny that this is way better than anything he put out since?

http://www.discogs.com/Squadra-Blanco-Night-Of-The-Illuminati/master/15289

his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

haha i mentioned something similar once.

also, legowelt and ceephax took kinda similar trajectories imo. the've both made loads of gems but can't be bothered anymore to make significant efforts with their music, now they're just in the game for fun it seems. which results in unsignificant semi-shitty music imo.

the paranormal soul album was nice though.

Either way Legowelt should stick to what he does best and that's electro-disco and italo traxxx.How can anyone deny that this is way better than anything he put out since?

Although I love those retro sounds, I do have the impression that he has milked that cow plenty. More of those retro sounds add nothing. And I must admit I quite like his new tunes as well. To my ears he has a fuller and broader soundpalette nowadays. It's more accessible, but not necessarily in a bad way, imo. Less Kraftwerk, and more ...euh... Quincy Jones!?

his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

haha i mentioned something similar once.

also, legowelt and ceephax took kinda similar trajectories imo. the've both made loads of gems but can't be bothered anymore to make significant efforts with their music, now they're just in the game for fun it seems. which results in unsignificant semi-shitty music imo.

the paranormal soul album was nice though.

agree) i have same kinda feeling for DMX. but its good veterans are still with us

paranormal soul is the shit, thou. its like ok, the same goodold legohead, lets see what...and after second track you cant stop dancing! :music:

Nothing wrong with The Paranormal Soul but Crystal Cult 2080 immediately struck me as a more complex and deep album. So, it's a bit puzzling that it's not getting more praise from those of you who are saying he doesn't try very hard anymore. Do you feel like he ended up making it too dense and foggy and therefore indistinct or something like that? We're all mostly guessing here but it sounds to me like he put a lot of effort into that album.

Either way, I think his albums have been getting better and better (Crystal Cult 2080 > The Paranormal Soul > The TEAC Life) regardless of the effort involved.

And it seems like there's an interesting harder edge to his tracks that's been developing lately. Some of the drums on Crystal Cult 2080 hit pretty hard, see also Pagan Sector, Lords Of Midnite, the fact that he spun so many old "hardcore" techno (not gabber) tracks in that recent DJ set of his, etcetera... He did go through a phase a few years ago where I wasn't exactly enamored with everything he was doing but to me he has gotten more interesting again.