nature

Nothing wrong with The Paranormal Soul but Crystal Cult 2080 immediately struck me as a more complex and deep album. So, it's a bit puzzling that it's not getting more praise from those of you who are saying he doesn't try very hard anymore. Do you feel like he ended up making it too dense and foggy and therefore indistinct or something like that? We're all mostly guessing here but it sounds to me like he put a lot of effort into that album.

Either way, I think his albums have been getting better and better (Crystal Cult 2080 > The Paranormal Soul > The TEAC Life) regardless of the effort involved.

And it seems like there's an interesting harder edge to his tracks that's been developing lately. Some of the drums on Crystal Cult 2080 hit pretty hard, see also Pagan Sector, Lords Of Midnite, the fact that he spun so many old "hardcore" techno (not gabber) tracks in that recent DJ set of his, etcetera... He did go through a phase a few years ago where I wasn't exactly enamored with everything he was doing but to me he has gotten more interesting again.

Crystal Cult 2080 is right beside Syro for my favorite albums released this year. Mitch Murder's latest effort is up there too.

his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

haha i mentioned something similar once.

also, legowelt and ceephax took kinda similar trajectories imo. the've both made loads of gems but can't be bothered anymore to make significant efforts with their music, now they're just in the game for fun it seems. which results in unsignificant semi-shitty music imo.

the paranormal soul album was nice though.

I've said that about Ceephax for years now but people think I'm just hattin'. He overcooks everything he does now, the melodies start nice, nice hooks, nice atmosphere then the melodies shift into this ultra cheesy and I hate to say it but it really does sound like elevator music, or better yet, the idea of what I think elevator music would sound like. Then he has to use the freaking 303 of course since he's the acid protégé, his drums are getting worse and worse, too many X0X drum-machines. Listen to probey live, sounds way better without those annoying cheesy interludes.

Either way Legowelt should stick to what he does best and that's electro-disco and italo traxxx.How can anyone deny that this is way better than anything he put out since?

Although I love those retro sounds, I do have the impression that he has milked that cow plenty. More of those retro sounds add nothing. And I must admit I quite like his new tunes as well. To my ears he has a fuller and broader soundpalette nowadays. It's more accessible, but not necessarily in a bad way, imo. Less Kraftwerk, and more ...euh... Quincy Jones!?

That's fair but he's been doing the "woolly esoteric techno" for years too, he just switched from something that took effort and imagination to something easy that sounds nice enough. I just scratched him off the list to the point that I don't even check his new tracks to see if he's back Ontrackv2.

Edited by vasio

his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

haha i mentioned something similar once.

also, legowelt and ceephax took kinda similar trajectories imo. the've both made loads of gems but can't be bothered anymore to make significant efforts with their music, now they're just in the game for fun it seems. which results in unsignificant semi-shitty music imo.

the paranormal soul album was nice though.

I've said that about Ceephax for years now but people think I'm just hattin'. He overcooks everything he does now, the melodies start nice, nice hooks, nice atmosphere then the melodies shift into this ultra cheesy and I hate to say it but it really does sound like elevator music, or better yet, the idea of what I think elevator music would sound like. Then he has to use the freaking 303 of course since he's the acid protégé, his drums are getting worse and worse, too many X0X drum-machines. Listen to probey live, sounds way better without those annoying cheesy interludes.

Either way Legowelt should stick to what he does best and that's electro-disco and italo traxxx.How can anyone deny that this is way better than anything he put out since?

Although I love those retro sounds, I do have the impression that he has milked that cow plenty. More of those retro sounds add nothing. And I must admit I quite like his new tunes as well. To my ears he has a fuller and broader soundpalette nowadays. It's more accessible, but not necessarily in a bad way, imo. Less Kraftwerk, and more ...euh... Quincy Jones!?
That's fair but he's been doing the "woolly esoteric techno" for years too, he just switched from something that took effort and imagination to something easy that sounds nice enough. I just scratched him off the list to the point that I don't even check his new tracks to see if he's back Ontrackv2.
Hatters gonna hat

• 4 weeks later...

New Legowelt release upcoming on Créme Organization. For a moment I thought it said 'Vaporwave' and it was him doing a stab at that, seems like just proper Legowelt tracks though! Looks like it'll be a two-parter too :)

Still hoping to see the repress of Polarius' Winter in Polarius soon (as announced by Creme), but no dice yet!

• 2 weeks later...

New Legowelt release upcoming on Créme Organization. For a moment I thought it said 'Vaporwave' and it was him doing a stab at that, seems like just proper Legowelt tracks though! Looks like it'll be a two-parter too :)

Still hoping to see the repress of Polarius' Winter in Polarius soon (as announced by Creme), but no dice yet!

I was about to preorder this and then I saw the shipping rate. 25 euros?! Sad. I can't do it.

I was about to preorder this and then I saw the shipping rate. 25 euros?! Sad. I can't do it.

That's harsh indeed. They are a very small (trustworthy) company so they can't afford to lower the prices too much I guess (unregistered is €20, still a lot though). Is Clone another option for you? They are sure to get it too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just found an option for unregistered mail. may be an option. also checking clone.

nothing on clonenl yet.

Not sure if this is still of any use to you but Vaporware Tracks has been available there (at Clone) for a couple of days now.

I'm waiting for his new UTTU release Cosmic Space to land before having them shipped, should be any day now as he just tweeted a pic of what I guess is him holding the record.

this sounds great, very legoweltish and dark

but nothing beats Pimpshifter for me, can listen to that 24/7, one of best EPs ever made

Awesome! This'll be a no-brainer-buy again. I was waiting for Croissant With Stravinsky to be released, not really sure where I heard it before though... I think he played some of these at that improvised movie score gig I saw a few months ago.

lol at #coffeeshop chillout background music