Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Legowelt
subforum for Legowelt??? Seems worth asking for...

Legowelt Danny Wolfers

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#26 manmower

manmower

et in arcadia ego

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 23-January 08

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

Nothing wrong with The Paranormal Soul but Crystal Cult 2080 immediately struck me as a more complex and deep album. So, it's a bit puzzling that it's not getting more praise from those of you who are saying he doesn't try very hard anymore. Do you feel like he ended up making it too dense and foggy and therefore indistinct or something like that? We're all mostly guessing here but it sounds to me like he put a lot of effort into that album.

Either way, I think his albums have been getting better and better (Crystal Cult 2080 > The Paranormal Soul > The TEAC Life) regardless of the effort involved.

And it seems like there's an interesting harder edge to his tracks that's been developing lately. Some of the drums on Crystal Cult 2080 hit pretty hard, see also Pagan Sector, Lords Of Midnite, the fact that he spun so many old "hardcore" techno (not gabber) tracks in that recent DJ set of his, etcetera... He did go through a phase a few years ago where I wasn't exactly enamored with everything he was doing but to me he has gotten more interesting again.

#27 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Just a heads up some people might enjoy hearing: Polarius - Winter In Polarius will be repressed soon! One of my faves  :music:  

#28 nature

nature

member since 1944

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 27-January 14

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

Nothing wrong with The Paranormal Soul but Crystal Cult 2080 immediately struck me as a more complex and deep album. So, it's a bit puzzling that it's not getting more praise from those of you who are saying he doesn't try very hard anymore. Do you feel like he ended up making it too dense and foggy and therefore indistinct or something like that? We're all mostly guessing here but it sounds to me like he put a lot of effort into that album.

Either way, I think his albums have been getting better and better (Crystal Cult 2080 > The Paranormal Soul > The TEAC Life) regardless of the effort involved.

And it seems like there's an interesting harder edge to his tracks that's been developing lately. Some of the drums on Crystal Cult 2080 hit pretty hard, see also Pagan Sector, Lords Of Midnite, the fact that he spun so many old "hardcore" techno (not gabber) tracks in that recent DJ set of his, etcetera... He did go through a phase a few years ago where I wasn't exactly enamored with everything he was doing but to me he has gotten more interesting again.

Crystal Cult 2080 is right beside Syro for my favorite albums released this year.  Mitch Murder's latest effort is up there too.

#29 vasio

vasio

Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 18-June 06

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

haha i mentioned something similar once.

also, legowelt and ceephax took kinda similar trajectories imo. the've both made loads of gems but can't be bothered anymore to make significant efforts with their music, now they're just in the game for fun it seems. which results in unsignificant semi-shitty music imo.
the paranormal soul album was nice though.

I've said that about Ceephax for years now but people think I'm just hattin'. He overcooks everything he does now, the melodies start nice, nice hooks, nice atmosphere then the melodies shift into this ultra cheesy and I hate to say it but it really does sound like elevator music, or better yet, the idea of what I think elevator music would sound like. Then he has to use the freaking 303 of course since he's the acid protégé, his drums are getting worse and worse, too many X0X drum-machines. Listen to probey live, sounds way better without those annoying cheesy interludes.

Either way Legowelt should stick to what he does best and that's electro-disco and italo traxxx.How can anyone deny that this is way better than anything he put out since?

Although I love those retro sounds, I do have the impression that he has milked that cow plenty. More of those retro sounds add nothing. And I must admit I quite like his new tunes as well. To my ears he has a fuller and broader soundpalette nowadays. It's more accessible, but not necessarily in a bad way, imo. Less Kraftwerk, and more ...euh... Quincy Jones!?

That's fair but he's been doing the "woolly esoteric techno" for years too, he just switched from something that took effort and imagination to something easy that sounds nice enough. I just scratched him off the list to the point that I don't even check his new tracks to see if he's back Ontrackv2.

Edited by vasio, 18 December 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#30 batch

batch

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • 42 topics
  • Joined 19-March 10
  • Interests:track previews

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

his old tracks sounded like he was trying to find the girl, now he has the girl.

haha i mentioned something similar once.

also, legowelt and ceephax took kinda similar trajectories imo. the've both made loads of gems but can't be bothered anymore to make significant efforts with their music, now they're just in the game for fun it seems. which results in unsignificant semi-shitty music imo.
the paranormal soul album was nice though.

I've said that about Ceephax for years now but people think I'm just hattin'. He overcooks everything he does now, the melodies start nice, nice hooks, nice atmosphere then the melodies shift into this ultra cheesy and I hate to say it but it really does sound like elevator music, or better yet, the idea of what I think elevator music would sound like. Then he has to use the freaking 303 of course since he's the acid protégé, his drums are getting worse and worse, too many X0X drum-machines. Listen to probey live, sounds way better without those annoying cheesy interludes.

Either way Legowelt should stick to what he does best and that's electro-disco and italo traxxx.How can anyone deny that this is way better than anything he put out since?

Although I love those retro sounds, I do have the impression that he has milked that cow plenty. More of those retro sounds add nothing. And I must admit I quite like his new tunes as well. To my ears he has a fuller and broader soundpalette nowadays. It's more accessible, but not necessarily in a bad way, imo. Less Kraftwerk, and more ...euh... Quincy Jones!?
That's fair but he's been doing the "woolly esoteric techno" for years too, he just switched from something that took effort and imagination to something easy that sounds nice enough. I just scratched him off the list to the point that I don't even check his new tracks to see if he's back Ontrackv2.
Hatters gonna hat

#31 nature

nature

member since 1944

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 27-January 14

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

I should have noticed that musicians featured must be affiliated with Rephlex or Warp Records.

Edited by nature, 19 December 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#32 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

New Legowelt release upcoming on Créme Organization. For a moment I thought it said 'Vaporwave' and it was him doing a stab at that, seems like just proper Legowelt tracks though! Looks like it'll be a two-parter too :)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Still hoping to see the repress of Polarius' Winter in Polarius soon (as announced by Creme), but no dice yet!

#33 manmower

manmower

et in arcadia ego

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 23-January 08

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

'Southwest British Airways' and 'Satierian Moon Breeze' sound great from these clips.

#34 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

jazz cabbage

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,210 posts
  • 1,631 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • PSN:Droideka7048
  • 3DS Friend Code:2879-0990-8442
  • Nintendo ID:droideka

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

any fans of his Psychic Stewardess project ?

#35 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:53 AM

any fans of his Psychic Stewardess project ?

Definitely, one of my fave albums of his, still haven't got it on CD unfortunately. But yeah, just posted a track from it in the now playing thread yesterday :)

#36 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

jazz cabbage

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,210 posts
  • 1,631 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • PSN:Droideka7048
  • 3DS Friend Code:2879-0990-8442
  • Nintendo ID:droideka

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

yeah I love that CDr

#37 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Great new mix from the man on Ninja Tunes Solid Steel

Listen on Soundcloud.com

+ new interview mentioning a new ambient album, sounds interesting

http://t.co/6jiaevsXfj

#38 nature

nature

member since 1944

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 27-January 14

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

had no idea about the solid steel set.  exciting.

#39 nature

nature

member since 1944

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 27-January 14

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

New Legowelt release upcoming on Créme Organization. For a moment I thought it said 'Vaporwave' and it was him doing a stab at that, seems like just proper Legowelt tracks though! Looks like it'll be a two-parter too :)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Still hoping to see the repress of Polarius' Winter in Polarius soon (as announced by Creme), but no dice yet!

I was about to preorder this and then I saw the shipping rate.  25 euros?!  Sad.  I can't do it.

#40 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

Listen on Soundcloud.com

I was about to preorder this and then I saw the shipping rate.  25 euros?!  Sad.  I can't do it.

That's harsh indeed. They are a very small (trustworthy) company so they can't afford to lower the prices too much I guess (unregistered is €20, still a lot though). Is Clone another option for you? They are sure to get it too.

#41 nature

nature

member since 1944

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 27-January 14

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

i just found an option for unregistered mail.  may be an option.  also checking clone.

nothing on clonenl yet.

#42 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

Part 3 of the fantastic incredible high quality 'Relics of the Past' show by Legowelt and Willie Burns. Some nice guest appearances too :)

#43 manmower

manmower

et in arcadia ego

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 23-January 08

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

Time to suck balls and become a higher being once again.

#44 Herr Jan

Herr Jan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts
  • 138 topics
  • Joined 08-December 06

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

Some great tracks uploaded today, I almost thought it was going to be another soundcloud dump 

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#45 nature

nature

member since 1944

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 27-January 14

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

The massive Wolfers Soundcloud audio dumb continues!   Listen on Soundcloud.com

#46 Leon Sumbitches

Leon Sumbitches

1000 Club

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 16-May 13
  • Interests:JUSTICE FOR THE BOTANICALLY IGNORANT

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

I'm so glad other people are into Relics Of The Past, it's beautiful

#47 manmower

manmower

et in arcadia ego

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 23-January 08

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

i just found an option for unregistered mail.  may be an option.  also checking clone.

nothing on clonenl yet.

Not sure if this is still of any use to you but Vaporware Tracks has been available there (at Clone) for a couple of days now.

I'm waiting for his new UTTU release Cosmic Space to land before having them shipped, should be any day now as he just tweeted a pic of what I guess is him holding the record.

#48 manmower

manmower

et in arcadia ego

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 23-January 08

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

And he's uploaded a bunch of tracks from Oberheim Space, his "ambient/G-funk" album, releasing tomorrow.

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#49 Nebraska

Nebraska

the is was a I an a at in a its

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts
  • 132 topics
  • Joined 04-December 11

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

legowelt just announced that he's going to release rising sun system's tomorrow

imo, this one sounds like it's going to be pretty amazing. also, check out that killer artwork

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#50 Mag

Mag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 15-December 12

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

this sounds great, very legoweltish and dark

but nothing beats Pimpshifter for me, can listen to that 24/7, one of best EPs ever made

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Legowelt, Danny Wolfers