IGNORED

the sony hacking scandal

Rubin Farr

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone give me some tips using a program or method on Mac OSX mountain lion to do a keyword search through all of this data at the same time? I'm mostly looking for references of Sony's Glenn Greenwald's book acquisition 'No Place to Hide' and any references to the film Zero Dark Thirty

sorry if someone else mentioned this, but the most lol worthy section so far for me was this

Jonah Hill talking to Sony exec about 21 jump st sequel possibilities

“jump street merging with mib i think that’s clean and rad and powerful.”

mib=men in black

Just do cmd-F in the document to find whatever you're looking for.

And I think they must have referenced that in 22 Jump Street, cause some of the suggestions for sequels were pretty goddamned ridiculous.

heh thanks, i know how to do a cmd-F i should have been more specific. How does one just browse/view through raw OST (outlook) files on mac osx?

Ah ok. Where is it possible to grab the data and I can try for you.

Also the reporting on this is hilarious:

Gawker: Sony hacks are goddamned terrifying

FLOL if that's terrifying - what would they call actual terror? Like fear for your lives, there's a police officer wielding a shotgun terror.

i mean its hyperbolic but the concept is sort of terrifying, how much longer do we have before a crazy hacker dumps the entire gmail cache on the internet?

And what would be terrifying about that? How much personal information have you sent over gmail? Credit card info? passport? so you're worried about identity theft? All of that stuff is fairly easily canceled and renewed, and if someone commits a crime under your name, well you just point to your phone's gps records.

Or are you worried about what will happen to you because you've said some incendiary shit about the US government?

Unless you have actively plotted to overthrow the US government, I don't think you have much to fear. Plus, searching the entire gmail cache would be like looking for a needle in a haystack from space. With a Target telescope.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/amy-pascal-scott-rudin-apologize-for-insensitive-comments-about-obama/

lol @ any injury they may have caused.

yes, i was reading those insensitive comments when i suddenly began to hemorrhage uncontrollably

Can someone give me some tips using a program or method on Mac OSX mountain lion to do a keyword search through all of this data at the same time? I'm mostly looking for references of Sony's Glenn Greenwald's book acquisition 'No Place to Hide' and any references to the film Zero Dark Thirty

sorry if someone else mentioned this, but the most lol worthy section so far for me was this

Jonah Hill talking to Sony exec about 21 jump st sequel possibilities

“jump street merging with mib i think that’s clean and rad and powerful.”

mib=men in black

Just do cmd-F in the document to find whatever you're looking for.

And I think they must have referenced that in 22 Jump Street, cause some of the suggestions for sequels were pretty goddamned ridiculous.

heh thanks, i know how to do a cmd-F i should have been more specific. How does one just browse/view through raw OST (outlook) files on mac osx?

Ah ok. Where is it possible to grab the data and I can try for you.

Also the reporting on this is hilarious:

Gawker: Sony hacks are goddamned terrifying

FLOL if that's terrifying - what would they call actual terror? Like fear for your lives, there's a police officer wielding a shotgun terror.

i mean its hyperbolic but the concept is sort of terrifying, how much longer do we have before a crazy hacker dumps the entire gmail cache on the internet?

And what would be terrifying about that? How much personal information have you sent over gmail? Credit card info? passport? so you're worried about identity theft? All of that stuff is fairly easily canceled and renewed, and if someone commits a crime under your name, well you just point to your phone's gps records.

Or are you worried about what will happen to you because you've said some incendiary shit about the US government?

Unless you have actively plotted to overthrow the US government, I don't think you have much to fear. Plus, searching the entire gmail cache would be like looking for a needle in a haystack from space. With a Target telescope.

i just meant that having all of your personal conversations you've had for everybody to see.

you don't think that would be not just mortifying but also terrifying? Have you ever discussed private things over email meant only for one other person to see? Have you ever sent or received sexual and potentially comprising emails or pictures via email? I mean when I brought up the scenario i wasn't even factoring in anti US government types of emails. I was just trying to imagine how devestating for the world it would be if all of their private emails they've ever sent on Gmail were potentially made public. Want to see what your boss or ex girlfriend is up to? Just type their gmail address into the massive terrabyte gmail datadump.

the most disturbing part of the sony email hack to me is that every single low level employee who ever sent a personal email using their work email has now all their dirty laundry out for the world to see. The potential for something to happen for a bigger email network is there, I'm beginning to think its just a matter of time before some insane hacker does something of this magnitude. I mean shit man something like a gmail database hack could cause mass suicides, i'm surprised you downplay the idea so much.

Oh delet, what a lovely analysis. Spot on. So perfect in its simplicity.

JE - no, because I don't send anything I regret sending over e-mail or private message, I've sent some private stuff, but i dont regret it.

As for work e-mails...mine are all related to work and not gossip.

not regretting something you send is avoiding the issue i'm raising. I don't think most people regret the things they send over email but they would be highly embarrassed if those private communications would be made public.

not regretting something you send is avoiding the issue i'm raising. I don't think most people regret the things they send over email but they would be highly embarrassed if those private communications would be made public.

I'm saying, I don't send anything over e-mail that I would regret being seen in public. I'm sure I've said some embarrassing things, but I don't regret things I've done in my life.

I Iike like the part where he spells out "these people work for us, we don't work for them"

and yeah, Jolie is simply the most successful star fucker in town. She leeches from one male to another.

I'm sorry but you're talking shit. Jolie has way more talent than most people give her credit for and was successful on her own merit way before she hooked up with Brad. The real reason the studio doesn't want to do the picture is because they are afraid of doing a biopic (not enough explosions). If it was the script any studio worth their salt could just bring in a solid writer to tidy it up. They're obviously on a huge power trip and resent the fame and success even if their own colleagues (who have most likely made them more money they ever could have on their own). This is the equivalent of Warp bitching about Squarepusher. Completely ridiculous.
That's just like, your opinion man.

ie: everything that exec said about her is correct. He may be a pointless soulless schlubworm from the the ghetto area of the sewer works of hell, but his points are verified by fact. You've seen her 'act' right? She was just some peoples nerdgasm because of hackers, which established 'street cred with a section of the male demographic that was watching films at the time, who then started running hollywood. Then nothing much happened up until bradgerlina, and she's suddenly crowned world's sexiest woman, presumably because she got with the sexiest hombre. Anyway it helped market her image, sell some tickets, even if she really is not sexy in any way. They got the norms to buy in, and we get angie in some second tier blockbusters, now she's hopefully on the way out and thank goodlyness for that, because it would pain me were she to hang around spoiling film for much longer.

Shut up. You know she's won an Oscar right?

JE - no, because I don't send anything I regret sending over e-mail or private message, I've sent some private stuff, but i dont regret it.

it pretty much does seem like you are so ensconced in your support for the current administration that you have to take a hardline stance that americans or i guess anyone, have no right to private communication. everyone is aware of the NSA thing and the fact that they are almost surely storing our emails in a searchable/cross-referenceable database, and you don't want that to reflect poorly on your hero so you have to say 'well just dont talk about bombing the gov and you'll be ok.' the scenario JE brought up is only about one step away from that one so you have to say the same thing. it's pretty ridiculous though because it results in you saying that nobody should be having personal conversations over email. seriously? how about over the phone? can we have them in our home?

it pretty much does seem like you are so ensconced in your support for the current administration that you have to take a hardline stance that americans or i guess anyone, have no right to private communication. everyone is aware of the NSA thing and the fact that they are almost surely storing our emails in a searchable/cross-referenceable database, and you don't want that to reflect poorly on your hero so you have to say 'well just dont talk about bombing the gov and you'll be ok.' the scenario JE brought up is only about one step away from that one so you have to say the same thing. it's pretty ridiculous though because it results in you saying that nobody should be having personal conversations over email. seriously? how about over the phone? can we have them in our home?

LOL your failure to be able to read any nuance into situations that are full of nuance is mind-blowingly awesome.

First of all, Obama is no hero of mine. I do think that things are better under his administration than they would have been under Romney, but only marginally.

Secondly - I don't believe I said no one should be having personal conversations. Here's what I am attempting to communicate.

1. I believe that work e-mail accounts should be used for work and personal development, not for gossip or forwarding e-mail chains. Instead of going all high-school gossipy on Jolie (who i don't think is a particularly great actress), that hollywood producer could have been much more professional in his approach to the situation.

2. Yes it is well known that the NSA is storing our e-mails. What does that have to do with the sony hack, or the possibility of a gmail hack?

3. You can talk about bombing the government all you want. What I said was "Unless you have actively plotted to overthrow the US government, I don't think you have much to fear." Important distinction to be made.

4. Of course one can have personal conversations over the phone and in one's own home. One can also have personal conversations over e-mail, and should have the right to them. However, one should understand tha no technology is secure, and have e-mail discussions with that in mind. Issues such as credit card theft, or identity theft are generally easily resolved.

5. As an adult, one should also be responsible for dealing with the consequences of private knowledge becoming public. As I said to JE, I don't regret anything I've sent in private or through e-mail, and although there would certainly be repercussions if my partner read some of those e-mails/private messages, I am fully aware of those repercussions and would deal with the consequences as best I could with the full knowledge that I played a large role in creating the situation.

6. A gmail hack and database dump is not, and should not be, terrifying to anyone who has developed as an adult. Unless you are planning to commit (or have committed) a crime or are actively plotting to overthrow the government, there is nothing terrifying about people reading your mundane e-mails about how you want to bang a thai ladyboy, or how you like to smoke weed and take xanax, or how you fantasize about peeing on the neighbours hedges cause they block the sunlight from shining on your rose bush. There is nothing terrifying about Suzie Q. findinding out you think she's a massive cunt, and you don't want to be friends with her. Why would that terrify you? You don't want to be friends with her.

7. Finally, how many people do you know personally who would take the time to search through the gmail database for evidence that you were up to something shady? If a criminal tries to extort you, contact the relevant authorities, and deal with the consequences of actions you undertook knowing full well they could get you into trouble if found out.

Hopefully the above is enough to convince you that while i think people have a right to personal and private conversations, there are certain realities we have to live with.

I'm saying, I don't send anything over e-mail that I would regret being seen in public. I'm sure I've said some embarrassing things, but I don't regret things I've done in my life.

you're still oddly avoiding the crux of my point though. Not regretting something is *absolutely* not the point i'm raising. I don't regret things i've done in my life either dude, but having some private things I've done over email being bared for the world to see? Huge fucking difference.

you might not 'regret' things being seen in public, but would you feel anything? anxiety? embarrassment? anger? Its just really fucking weird to me you are downplaying what I thought was a pretty blatantly universally horrifying hypothetical. super confused

I'm sorry but I'm going to just say you're trolling because what you said below is one of the most ridiculous fucking things I've ever read on this forum.

6. A gmail hack and database dump is not, and should not be, terrifying to anyone who has developed as an adult.

I'm not trolling, and come on, there's been way more ridiculous things said on this forum.

But I'm curious, what have you sent over e-mail that would be so embarrassing? Sexual fantasies? Personal opinions about your family? Sexts with that bi-curious dude from the club last weekend? Yeah maybe I guess i would be a little embarrassed about some of the shit I used to send over e-mail or through private messages (hell ask XXX, he's been my confessional here from time to time since I can't swill brews with my bros cause one of them is in Alberta and the other is in Chile), but you know, at the end of the day none of that shit is gonna result in me being dead or disabled.

What I don't get is, how is that horrifying? Horrifying to me is...seeing the child your wife had been carrying be stillborn at 4 months, or seeing your dad get shot in front of you. Terrifying is someone threatening your wife, or your best friend, or hell any friend really. Getting shot at in a strip club because your buddy sold some coke that had been stepped on one too many times to the wrong person, that shit is terrifying.

Again, at the end of the day: I'm not saying that people shouldn't have the right to expect privacy, but fuck, if my e-mail conversations got out my world isn't gonna end. That's what I mean by this not being terrifying to a developed adult.

well it was pretty odd of you to bring the whole 'as long as they arent talking about bombing the gov' thing into it, which is the kind of thing people defending/rationalizing/minimizing the whole NSA thing were saying. i think anyone who actually thought about it could think of legitimate examples for people to be extremely upset over a particular private email to be leaked, which doesn't involve plots to overthrow the gov or anything illegal or even bad on their part. and i think it is kinda terrifying to think that the actual concept of privacy is eroding down to a point where there's a really good chance we will be having this conversation maybe 10 or 20 yrs from now but it will be about things we say in our living rooms and whether or not we should be stupid enough to expect something we said into open air to be private, and how we have nothing to worry about if we weren't talking about bombing the gov.

also i think some of those leaked emails, as catty and backbiting as they may be, were still work related. you have people who want to do movies that will cost millions to fund, and if your role is being involved in that process and you dont have faith in that persons ability to perform in the role they'll play in that movie that is their pet project, and your job involves helping decide what gets those millions, that's exactly 100% work related for you to talk about that in emails. maybe it wasn't super polite or nice the way they worded it but that's their business, and it literally is just that, business. work. their job. nobody elses business. as much as i think hollywood is a cesspool of scum, even scum have a right to privacy. because if i denied that they do then i couldnt claim i do either.

People don't talk like robots all the time, maybe HR, but nobody else speaks in PC cliché speak when trying to actually achieve something, banter happens. Still i don't have to communicate very often per day via email and when i do it's usually to report an incident or something that has a narrow focus on message delivery, so i'm not nutting out an idea with a co-worker or something that could devolve into personal witticism or what have you.

People don't talk like robots all the time, maybe HR, but nobody else speaks in PC cliché speak when trying to actually achieve something, banter happens. Still i don't have to communicate very often per day via email and when i do it's usually to report an incident or something that has a narrow focus on message delivery, so i'm not nutting out an idea with a co-worker or something that could devolve into personal witticism or what have you.

Delet again with the black or white. It's possible to be professional and not speak like a robot all the time.

I often nut out during professional emails.

I can see how JE would be concerned; it's mostly a worry for dissidents and/or psychonauts. If you're not shy about admitting it on a public forum then it shouldn't be too scary in your email, I suppose. But the possibility of being on a list somewhere for your beliefs or interests is pretty unentertaining.

That's it, it can lock you out of government and other jobs when they run a check with the security services, and you won't even know why. So dissident types will most certainly be disadvantaged by this type of intrusive store all bullshit that's going on as we move into a more repressive rule. "his keyword count for blar dee blar was above a certain threshold, no clearance given".

Then it doesn't take much spin on some inside tip of juicy gossip from a person's past, to discredit them as a public figure. (this has already gone on for years, the storage facility just makes it easier)

And what about wanting to know what your competition is doing in that deal you're putting together, just ask your lobbying buddy who used to work for the nsa for some tips, that you just know will be dolled out at the right price to the right sort of people. (as if that doesn't already happen).

the actual concept of privacy is eroding down to a point where there's a really good chance we will be having this conversation maybe 10 or 20 yrs from now but it will be about things we say in our living rooms and whether or not we should be stupid enough to expect something we said into open air to be private, and how we have nothing to worry about if we weren't talking about bombing the gov.

This is the shit that scares me.

And as far as smoking weed and taking xanax... Say the gmail databases get leaked. Some enterprising group is going to snatch up that opportunity to make them easily searchable and sell that information to employers (with convenient highlighting of trigger words and phrases), if this hasn't happened already. Then because you talked to your buddy on gtalk a few years ago about getting high, or about your aberrant political views, you can't get a decent job anymore.

Also the better natural language analysis gets, the more real a threat this becomes. Graduate from key words and phrases and start working based on inferences between words and sentences and you can't get away with speaking obliquely anymore. Or just use some unlucky but innocent combination of words that creates a suspicious spike in some Bayesian algorithm.

Archived