IGNORED

the sony hacking scandal

Rubin Farr

Yeah that's exactly what happened. It has nothing at all to do with theaters deciding they'd probably end up losing money if they went ahead and showed the film as planned, opting instead to play things that people are actually going to bother to turn up to watch

Of course dude, i dont mean the NK leadership actually walked into my neighborhood to not let me watch a movie. I was drawing meaning and interpretation from this symbolic move. If it was NK and not lone hackers/anon/disgruntled Sony employees etc, then yes they did just succeed at suppressing freedom of art in another country as their terrorist threat has pressured Sony/movie theaters to back away from the potential of an attack, so yes in a kind of way if this truly is NK that's behind this, it's exactly what happened.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After thinking about it, I can see their worst case scenario: a terrorist attack on Christmas Day at a multiplex (they can hold thousands of people at once) would be possibly more scarring or just as scarring as 9/11, and could have potentially an even larger body count. America would never psychologically recover from that, and could possibly send us to war if we identified the culprits. Christmas would be tainted forever, and potentially a lot of children could be killed. A movie is just not worth the risk of such apocalyptic PR, Sony would look bad, theaters would look bad, and it would probly impose some bullshit security like having a cop in every theater from now until eternity would just make us feel like more of a police state. Just watch their Naked & Afraid, it's probly funnier anyway.

Are you happy now Kim? you ruined Christmas! LOL

Guest bitroast

I honestly thought the whole thing started by someone other than NK.

And then media and everyone assumed it was NK and the group kind of 'went with it' and took on the persona of NK to go along with their communications and threats.

It's sort of impossible to tell now how serious the threat is or where it's even coming from.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I honestly thought the whole thing started by someone other than NK.

And then media and everyone assumed it was NK and the group kind of 'went with it' and took on the persona of NK to go along with their communications and threats.

It's sort of impossible to tell now how serious the threat is or where it's even coming from.

I'm still in the 'it probably wasn't NK' camp, but time will tell

Looks like Sony have all out cancelled the film now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30526406

What's next for Seth Rogen and James Franco? This can't be good for their career prospects really

i think the hackers are actually seth rogen and james franco. after doing a test screening they realized how shitty this film was and begged sony to cancel it, but amy pascal refused so their only alternative was the sabotage their own film by hacking the studio and releasing the script and all info pertaining to production/budget including studio e-mails etc to make it look like it was north korea suffering from butthurt.

if this hack failed, people would still watch the film because of all the publicity acquired so it's a win win situation.

whoa...

"Investigators have determined that hackers working for North Korea were behind the Sony attack, U.S. law enforcement sources say. "

-CNN breaking news

Timber1.jpg

"its. about. to go. down."

-pitbull ("mr. worldwide")

whoa...

"Investigators have determined that hackers working for North Korea were behind the Sony attack, U.S. law enforcement sources say. "

-CNN breaking news

""I am not going to let a terrorist threat shut down freedom of speech. I am going to The Interview," screenwriter and director Judd Apatow wrote on Twitter Tuesday night."

FLOL Judd ain't no one's bitch! Now just keep your awful wife out of your movies!

whoa...

-CNN breaking news

Timber1.jpg

"its. about. to go. down."

-pitbull ("mr. worldwide")

im on cnn.com and don't see that anywhere, link?

I would wait for an official announcement, not to say it doesn't turn out to be true but this gives me pause

Senior administration officials, who would not speak on the record about the intelligence findings, said the White House was still debating whether to publicly accuse North Korea of what amounts to a cyberterrorism campaign.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Really struggling to get my head around how big this actually is

In dozens of recently leaked emails from the Sony hack, lawyers from the MPAA and six major studios talk about "Goliath" as their most powerful and politically relevant adversary in the fight against online piracy. They speak of "the problems created by Goliath," and worry "what Goliath could do if it went on the attack." Together they mount a multi-year effort to "respond to / rebut Goliath’s public advocacy" and "amplify negative Goliath news." And while it’s hard to say for sure, significant evidence suggests that the studio efforts may be directed against Google.

At the beginning of this year, the MPAA and six studios — Universal, Sony, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros., and Disney — joined together to begin a new campaign against piracy on the web. A January 25th email lays out a series of legally and technically ambitious new tools, including new measures that would block infringing sites from reaching customers of many major ISPs. Documents reviewed by The Verge detail the beginning of a new plan to attack piracy after the federal SOPA efforts failed by working with state attorneys general and major ISPs like Comcast to expand court power over the way data is served. If successful, the result would fundamentally alter the open nature of the internet.

In another instance, the group seemed to look to articles on political corruption not as a cautionary tale but as an instruction manual. In one email, the MPAA's Senior VP of State Government Affairs circulated an investigative New York Times series on lobbyists wielding increasing influence over state attorneys general. The series details many tactics involved in Project Goliath, including hiring former attorneys general as counsel and targeting officials at the state level where lobbying dollars may stretch farther. The MPAA official offered only the caption "FYI, first in a series of articles." The email was sent to 62 people, including executives at Paramount, Warner Bros., Fox, Comcast, and the RIAA.

They are talking about instead of adapting their business models to fit in with the ever changing real world, breaking the real world to suit their unchanging business models. They are talking about launching a smear campaign against Google - the main road block in the way of their plans because of it's advocacy of net neutrality, and they are talking about taking advantage of political corruption to improve their lobbying power. This is incendiary shit

The Interview release has been cancelled, and looks like NK linkage is more credible than i had thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/asia/us-links-north-korea-to-sony-hacking.html?smid=tw-bna

edit: oops, didn't see Meshy's post up there.

Really struggling to get my head around how big this actually is

In dozens of recently leaked emails from the Sony hack, lawyers from the MPAA and six major studios talk about "Goliath" as their most powerful and politically relevant adversary in the fight against online piracy. They speak of "the problems created by Goliath," and worry "what Goliath could do if it went on the attack." Together they mount a multi-year effort to "respond to / rebut Goliath’s public advocacy" and "amplify negative Goliath news." And while it’s hard to say for sure, significant evidence suggests that the studio efforts may be directed against Google.

At the beginning of this year, the MPAA and six studios — Universal, Sony, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros., and Disney — joined together to begin a new campaign against piracy on the web. A January 25th email lays out a series of legally and technically ambitious new tools, including new measures that would block infringing sites from reaching customers of many major ISPs. Documents reviewed by The Verge detail the beginning of a new plan to attack piracy after the federal SOPA efforts failed by working with state attorneys general and major ISPs like Comcast to expand court power over the way data is served. If successful, the result would fundamentally alter the open nature of the internet.

In another instance, the group seemed to look to articles on political corruption not as a cautionary tale but as an instruction manual. In one email, the MPAA's Senior VP of State Government Affairs circulated an investigative New York Times series on lobbyists wielding increasing influence over state attorneys general. The series details many tactics involved in Project Goliath, including hiring former attorneys general as counsel and targeting officials at the state level where lobbying dollars may stretch farther. The MPAA official offered only the caption "FYI, first in a series of articles." The email was sent to 62 people, including executives at Paramount, Warner Bros., Fox, Comcast, and the RIAA.

They are talking about instead of adapting their business models to fit in with the ever changing real world, breaking the real world to suit their unchanging business models. They are talking about launching a smear campaign against Google - the main road block in the way of their plans because of it's advocacy of net neutrality, and they are talking about taking advantage of political corruption to improve their lobbying power. This is incendiary shit

Food for thought: What if the cancellation of this film is an effort to sweep further leaks like this under the rug, and possibly give news media something else to talk about other than revelations of their corporate shenanigans?

This mess is the best marketing campaign this bullshit movie could have asked for.

if it was a marketing campaign don't you think they should've informed their employees about it and perhaps not involved the companies ceos (private e-mails, social security numbers, future business plans etc?)

worse, they've had a leak of practically every screenplay from 2010-2016. i guess the plot twist could be the hackers are actually seth rogen and james franco :nelson:

Oh, I definitely didn't think this was Sony's doing, but the movie got far more attention than I felt it warranted because of this whole debacle. However it's eventually released, I think more people will see than ever would have otherwise, even if they just torrent it.

are you able to search through the archive Chen? I was curious if there was similar state dept coordination with Greenwald's book 'No place to hide' or Zero Dark Thirty, although Zero dark might have happened too long ago. Im actually just interested to spy the inside baseball on whatever discussions they had about Greenwald's book in general

Archived