IGNORED

Comedian Recommendations

Danny O Flannagin

also Hans Teeuwen - dat dan weer wel -> best, most hilarious thing i ever saw

(sorry for dutchies only)

Wow, I was just playing that vid yesterday, was getting back into his stuff again. I was completely obsessed by his stuff, especially this show around age 13... I was one of those annoying kids who could repeat every line of the entire show. He did a few UK shows too, and a lot of his stuff is subtitled on YouTube, but most of it doesn't come across that well I think.

Most of my fave stuff is Dutch obviously (Theo Maassen, Lebbis, Poelmo!) but I also really like Jim Jefferies, as well as Jimmy Carr and that whole English crew and Bill Hicks mostly. The problem with most American standup is you have to wait until the audience shuts up every minute before the guy/woman can finish their joke. And this:

http://youtu.be/WUJFuRoWyWc?t=55s

Which reminds me that Maddox should be included in the list too, even though it is not stand up comedy.

I stick to mostly the LA stoner scene:

David Cross

Patton Oswalt

Doug Benson

Sarah Silverman

Brian Posehn

Dave Chapelle (he's really fallen off)

Aziz Ansari

Nick Offerman

Not a coincidence half of these people came from Mr. Show

Also you can't go wrong with Richard Pryor, track down some of his albums, a genius for all times.

and Steven Wright inhabits his own world.

yeah i really don't like listening to standup specials in a big room...or attending shows in a big room for that matter. it can really affect the flow which is ironic because comedy in a large room generally means the comic is successful.

Rogan did his most recent special in a comedy club instead of a theater and it suprisingly switched up the whole vibe in a very good way. You feel like you're at a comedy show, not hanging from the rafters in the theater while a guy shouts to a few thousand people. I could see this catching on with other comedians going forward in the same way that Louis CK's "$5 Downloadable Special" has.

yeah i really don't like listening to standup specials in a big room...or attending shows in a big room for that matter. it can really affect the flow which is ironic because comedy in a large room generally means the comic is successful.

Rogan did his most recent special in a comedy club instead of a theater and it suprisingly switched up the whole vibe in a very good way. You feel like you're at a comedy show, not hanging from the rafters in the theater while a guy shouts to a few thousand people. I could see this catching on with other comedians going forward in the same way that Louis CK's "$5 Downloadable Special" has.

Doug Stanhope's last special was fucking great and in a comedy club. I think it's a trend that's picking up and should continue.

pretty much the whole of his '99 special was like that though. it's still one of my faves as he happens to be very agreeable. later period carlin was often more righteous and interesting than it was funny. life is worth losing has some dark explorations with few jokey jokes but it's still listenable

Again, in his style, he has "free floating hostility" type bits but a lot of it focuses on bigger issues with jokes sprinkled in intermittently.

Here's a clip from the '99 show you mentioned.

http://youtu.be/I9Yd_YJlkpw

It's a different style than trying to get a laugh every 30 seconds. I personally like his wacky shit a whole lot, but his later material is still genius.

i was annoyed by stanhope's use of "faggot" as a derogatory, which he would do a lot. in his latest special he did some kind of a "i use the word faggot but i love gay people" thing. i forget how it went but i remember thinking it came off as nice for one of those things, which generally seem shameful to me. are homosexuals not executed for their sins in the world today? are people not reinforcing abominable bigotry with such speech? anyway im glad he did the psuedo-apology because i wanted to like him.

anyway, patton oswalt's new one is good. started out a little tame but then got pretty good.

Edited by very honest

^^ this

...and I'd say that's one of his best qualities. It's refreshing in this day & age when so many comics want to be philosophical figures shedding light on the ills of the world (for applause at the expense of laughs).

If anything, having a 15 minute long bit about fantasizing assraping a 300lb NFL player isn't exactly hetero-normative.

Never heard Doug Stanhope before...some funny, but clearly doesn't understand white, hetero-normative, privilege.

yeh, thats a Louis CK specialty

Frankie Boyle: (A fuckin') Wee boy (with a receding hairline)

pissing off your audience is the weakest thing you can do

I just popped in to make sure that someone mentioned Bill Hicks. And I guess now I'm seconding that.

But there's LOTS of good comedians out these days. But if you're looking for dead ones, Bill Hicks, Carlin, Pryor...

^^ this

...and I'd say that's one of his best qualities. It's refreshing in this day & age when so many comics want to be philosophical figures shedding light on the ills of the world (for applause at the expense of laughs).

If anything, having a 15 minute long bit about fantasizing assraping a 300lb NFL player isn't exactly hetero-normative.

Haven't heard that bit - but was watching his 2013 special "just before he pulled the trigger" (something like that) and his bit about having a picture of a giant black cock to put in front of his mouth to prove that he's done research on what being a "fag" is, shows a clear lack of understanding of what privilege really is.

Also his claim that they're "just words" reiterates that lack of understanding.

Let me ask you a few questions:

Have you ever been beaten to a pulp because of your sexual preferences?

Have you ever been denied a job because of the colour of your skin?

Have you ever been asked for your papers because of the colour of your skin?

If you answer no to those questions - congratulations - you win the hetero-normative privilege prize. Hey, so do I, and yes, I find the way a lot of people go on about these things to be mind-numbingly painful. However, at the same time, I believe that I do need to be conscious of the systemic oppression that occurs. Recognizing this does not grant people who are not hetero-normative any "special class", it simply means treating them as a human.

White privilege is not saying that white people have no problems, that's ridiculous, everyone has their own problems. It's saying that there are systems in place in North America and a lot of Europe that have clearly allowed white people to benefit at the expense of others.

Nor is this to say that other ethnicities don't act like assholes, don't treat other humans like shit, etc etc. because to state that is also factually ridiculous, a cursory glance at history will confirm that.

But a 15 minute long bit about ass raping a 300lb NFL player (is the player black?) is clearly showing a lack of understanding of hetero-normative privilege - because in Western society, the people who are doing the ass-raping....

I understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day his job is to make people laugh, and he makes me laugh. I get that newscasters & politicians shouldn't go around calling people faggots, but I feel that comedy should be the last untouchable bastion of free speech where the only determining factor of its quality is whether or not it made you chuckle. Nothing should be off-limits if it gets a laugh, because finding humor in dark subjects is cathartic and helps ease the burden of living in this world. In a lot of those bits, I'd argue that the humor arises from making the audience confront their own latent racism & homophobia.

Also, I think it's important to compartmentalize their stage "characters"/material with their regular life. Case in point: Daniel Tosh has never raped anybody despite joking about it on stage. Bill Cosby, the opposite. Do you really think Stanhope goes around shouting "fag" at people on the street or giving money to the Westboro Baptist Church?

There's dozens upon dozens of comedians who are going to pander to the left-wing, easily-offended college crowd if that's what they're looking for. We don't need to censor all of stand up. People should just research comedians & their style/material before they go out to see them live if they're the kind of person that's going to get triggered. That seems way more reasonable to me than censoring the comedians.

I'm not arguing for censorship - I'm trying to say it's an intellectually lazy way to make people laugh. Pointing out the "other".

Also I don't get offended by it, as I said, I think the way people go on about it can be mind-numbingly dull (case in point *points to self*).

I just meant he doesn't get it.

As for finding humour in dark places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=935xZdnVwq4

I dunno, maybe it's because I've heard him talk at length on podcasts but I really don't think Stanhope is ignorant of the issues or his own privelege. And I'd hardly call his bits intellectually lazy compared to most "edgy" comics I've seen. His style is very raw and offensive and certainly not for everyone, but I think we need people like him around so, as a culture, we don't disappear too far up our own politically correct asses.*

*because ultimately, political correctness comes from a well-intentioned place and is a good sign of us becoming way more accepting of different people & different lifestyles, despite the inherent obnoxiousness of it in execution.

Edited by autopilot