IGNORED

Comedian Recommendations

Danny O Flannagin

Frankie Boyle: (A fuckin') Wee boy (with a receding hairline)

pissing off your audience is the weakest thing you can do

That's quite a generalised statement.

Neither the wee boys nor their parents seem pissed off in this context.

What's the "strongest thing" then?

hey chen where did you get the rape part from? he just said he wanted to fuck an nfl player in the ass, he didn't say he was gonna rape him jeeze.

and you should listen to stanhope more because it seems you are making too many assumptions about his act.

and the giant black cock thing...clearly is so absurd it bypasses any need to be 'thoughtful'. i understand if it's not to your taste but the whole point of the joke was that that wouldn't be an appropiate thing to do at all. he said it because it was fuckin funny, not because it was the 'correct' thing to say. seriously if you leave a stanhope show feeling more racist, homophobic, misogynistic, then you have royally missed the point.

I got the rape thing from autopilot.

I don't feel more racist or homophobic, I just don't think those particular bits get the message he intends across. Especially the bits about how words are just words.

Anyways, you are right, I probably do need to hear more of him to get a feel for his style. I loved the bit about the doctor basically telling his celebrity patients to find god.

And i agree..some of the "edgy" comics really suck.

i fukken love being white

making you forget your worries and laugh at the insanity of it all

bernard manning on this is your life

rips the piss out of jim bowen & cannon and ball

trippy experience watching it today

probably will be illegal to watch soon

illegal comedy

illegal jokes

illegal speech

harry hill ~ joke after joke. not political. no agenda except making you laugh.

al murray ~ false persona of a pub landlord, pretty funny act. not really genuine, just goes for laughs.

stewart lee, used to love tomorrow with richard not judy when i was a kid, along with gamesmaster and bad influence. mr lee ain't very funny though. he can write well and string together creative sentences. read his stuff in the guardian. poor man is full of anger for some reason.

would think twice before basing any opinion on the words of a comedian. a comedians job is to make you laugh, that's it.

making you forget your worries and laugh at the insanity of it all

But that's like thinking of comedy merely as a form of escapism.

I disagree with the "making you forget your worries" point. I prefer thinking that a comedian _reminds_ you of your worries/concerns (which are common to other people), but presents them from a twisted angle that makes you laugh and reconsider how you approach those worries.

A comedian is also a satirist, someone using mockery/ridicule/sarcasm to attack social stereotypes, or to just exaggerate in a surreal way an aspect that someone may possess. The target is hardly the person, it's all about constructing witty wordplay and twisted imagery.

• 1 month later...

harry hill ~ joke after joke. not political. no agenda except making you laugh.

al murray ~ false persona of a pub landlord, pretty funny act. not really genuine, just goes for laughs.

stewart lee, used to love tomorrow with richard not judy when i was a kid, along with gamesmaster and bad influence. mr lee ain't very funny though. he can write well and string together creative sentences. read his stuff in the guardian. poor man is full of anger for some reason.

Harry Hill - under-rated, but his video funnies take on Jeremy Beadle's old gig was purest sell-out

Al Murray - started Pub Landlord over 20 years ago and it shows. Typical ex-public-school/Oxbride education as loved and supported by the BBC. Respect for standing against Farage in the lection though

Stewart Lee - national treasure and about the only comedian in the UK to show any bollocks. He's a lot more encompassing than just mere anger,,,,if you only took that away from his diatribe you missed the many points......Carpet Remnant World is genius and the tickets for Room With A Stew are burning a hole in my pocket

others......Patrice O'Neal can be funny as fuck, proper belly laughs, Andrew O'Neill (no relation) is a young British comic twisting bits on occultism/ritual magic (like totally whoah) and his show on the history of heavy metal was a soundscaping/pop-culture revelation

• 1 month later...

I don't think anyone mentioned Tom Segura yet. He is going to be huge one day. Like Burr, C.K. huge.

Besides him, my favorites are:

Hannibal Buress. His stand-up and his Eric Andre Show and Broad City contributions are all great.

Duncan Trussell (His podcast is the shit! The man exudes love and absurdity and embodies the paradoxical nature of our universe through recognition of it.)

Ari Shaffir has had some good specials and his show "This is Not Happening" is great!

Bill Burr (of course)

Ian Edwards has made me laugh my ass off in podcasts but I haven't looked up his stand-up.

C.K. (of fucking course!)

Todd Barry's crowd work special is really hilarious and different.

Broad City gets a mention for me as well as it's one of the best comedy shows on television.

Dave Chapelle (he's really fallen off)

I saw Chappelle a few months ago and the first 20 minutes of his set was all current event/social commentary and fell so flat for me, but then he switched to personal stories in the 2nd half and had some great jokes with his signature delivery. It was really up there with some of his best stuff, just not a whole hour like he used to do.

ari's show "this is not happening" is on comedy central's youtube channel. recommended watching. joey diaz's stories about his mum being a badass and beating up cabbies and shit in the middle of the street "it was new york in the 70's, no one was saying dick!"

yeah i dig ari stuff, seen two specials that have made me laugh a lot. his show This is Not Happening is great too, Diaz, duncan trussel, Maron, Ari, joe rogan etc etc etc..

holy fuck this guy makes me laugh. his other two stories are killer. love his style and delivery

Been enjoying Bill Burr's latest special, the black and white one. funny as.. Also the Chelsea Peretti got a few laughs out of me.

New season of louie in 2 weeks! apparently gonna be more laugh focused too.

I love my comedy of late, Stanhope is the man too btw, his reviews he does online are killer, one of my favourites..

• 3 months later...

It’s a shame the Romans never crucified this guy cos I’d have definitely gone to church on a weekly then.