IGNORED

Comedian Recommendations

Danny O Flannagin

What about good comedians you can't recommend

Bill Cosby.

Yes, that's the correct answer. Don't know what El Spaniardo is thinking asking such an obvious question. 

Anyway, thx for all the recommendations. Besides spanish man being purposely difficult.  :mu-ziq:

Edited by Brisbot

seconding jeselnik. his material is some of the sharpest written stuff there is. punchlines are never predictable, he has a great sense of self awareness. also is just a genuinely funny dude, if you listen to him on podcasts he has a quick dark wit, he can defs walk the walk. 

also fuck me for forgetting dave attell. skanks for the memories is one of the best standup sets i've heard. he's fantastic at doing low-brow humour in a clever and surprising way.

also gonna suggest rory scovel, his album dilation is pretty damn good, genuinely surreal subject matter and observations. 

plus look up greg giraldo, who was the absolute king of the comedy central roasts. there was a compilation video on youtube of all the roasts he ever did, went for 45 mins or so... looks like someone took it down, but this playlist is close enough

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFtJUUi3CLM-pHNTEWbbiO2Xomvwqe1NY

+1

I've liked what i've seen of Attel and Geraldo (rip) gonna check out skanks for the memories tonight.

not really waaay too libertarian and brings politics into comedy in a dumb way also has really shitty fans

file under joe rogan etc

love skanks for the memories too. 

Edited by dr lopez

yeah i just think in general i find comedians who are political or go on political rants for clapping or for alt-right / libertarian internet nerds really tiresome and not funny. the only one i give a pass to is cross because his voice is funny.

norm is a good example of a guy that i probably dont agree with politically but it doesnt matter because he keeps his politics out of telling jokes and being a comedian.

david cross isn't funny at all though. and he preaches to the choir. oh wow a left wing comedian talked about how bad george w. bush was? brave man, fucking brave.

bill hicks wasn't particularly funny either, but if you like cross you should probably like bill hicks. and hicks was actually pretty subversive, playing to texan super right wing audiences with his pro drug anti religion kind of literate sam kinison character. i think at least acknowledge that. i don't personally find him that funny, although this bit makes me laugh:

[youtubehd]Nbeu6TYT5LA[/youtubehd]

kinda cringing watching it though because he's almost become a meme of himself, like i can see someone posting his lsd quote on facebook overlaid on a photo of him staring right into the camera. hicks is probably responsible for more shit comedians than anyone, cross and rogan included

Edited by keanu reeves

I don't actually laugh at Carlin and Hicks much, though they are still pretty entertaining. Carlin was funnier back in the 70s and 80s, his style changed later on. I still like both versions of Carlin, though it's like two different people. The type of humor is different. It isn't really laugh out loud type of stuff, but they're still fun to watch. It's that inward humor. It's hard to explain.

Yeah, right wing political humor tends to be bad. That's just the way it comes off to me. Most right wing comedians usually don't rely on it so they can still be funny when they're using experiential humor. But when they appeal to conservative beliefs it just isn't funny to me.

I heard Joe Rogan the other day, and he said something like: "We're inventing too many diseases". The angle was that people need to toughen up, and he got claps from the audience. But the reality is that we are just more knowledgeable than we used to be. So the joke just falls flat. 

hmm i guess i don't really have any parameters for what i find funny aside from 'am i laughing'. 

Exactly. The issue with conservative jokes usually is that they're set up to fail. The point they're trying to make is one you don't agree with, and not particularly witty.

Left wing comedians tell stories of right wing people coming up to them after the show telling them they didn't laugh at all. It's the same thing from the other side.

Thats your OWN DAMN FAULT for choosing such an odd title!!11! you knew at least one person was going to wonder whats the combination of factors that renders a good comedian unrecommendable! the answer was "30 year long rape-a-tons" apparently

... um ok sorry Spanish Fellow.

chelsea peretti's special was pretty good btw. honestly, i prefer all comedy off the cuff, a lot of people are funnier in different contexts outside of stand up. i find the average comedy bang bang podcast episode funnier than any of the specials mentioned here.

i saw a carlin show right near the end of his life. it was one of the more depressing experiences i've had. 

Edited by keanu reeves

i saw a carlin show right near the end of his life. it was one of the more depressing experiences i've had. 

I would have liked to see him in the 70s/80s/90s myself. I've heard his energy wasn't there in the last few years.

BTW, I actually can recommend a comedian: Reggie Watts. 

No I understood what you were getting at. 

What happened is that I found that conservative jokes mostly fall flat, and then I thought why that was the case. Generally you have to agree with what the comedians getting at to like a specific joke I think. Which is why experiential humor is usually better since most people can agree with the experience... like the feelings or weird facts about it, or whatever they're trying to do.

The same comedian can be funny in other areas, but the right wing humor is always a shrug fest. It's not a conviction I have to automatically dislike conservative jokes because they're conservative, it's just an observation of what I find funny. Then I wonder why that's the case.

When I think about it, I never really laugh much at political humor in general. I like the over arching stuff, like observations about human behavior, as it's much better and more insightful and creative. George Carlin and Bill Hicks mostly do the experiential stuff more than the 'George Bush is evil' angle. Though they had their fair share of those too.

Anyway, Reggie Watts is my favorite comedian ( I think ). I love his type of humor, hasn't mentioned liberals or conservatives a single time:

Edited by Brisbot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QQNPlnqBEM

may or may not be your cup of tea, but this show from the 90s had lots of great stand up comedians doing their routines on the psychiatrists couch with beautiful animation.

I fucking love Dr. Katz so much. I got really into that show when it was airing originally. At 10 years old I wasn't exactly the target audience and some of the humor was over my head but I loved it. That was where I first heard of Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, and so many other comics who were coming up at that time. And Jon Benjamin of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QQNPlnqBEM

may or may not be your cup of tea, but this show from the 90s had lots of great stand up comedians doing their routines on the psychiatrists couch with beautiful animation.

I fucking love Dr. Katz so much. I got really into that show when it was airing originally. At 10 years old I wasn't exactly the target audience and some of the humor was over my head but I loved it. That was where I first heard of Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, and so many other comics who were coming up at that time. And Jon Benjamin of course.

Wow, same here.

And Steven Wright is perfect for 10 year olds, really.

maria bamford and patrice o'neal

also i'm sure the dr. katz fans already know but Home Movies is an incredible show!

Home Movies is the best. Me and my friends still quote it religiously. Got into Dr Katz more recently but its golden - been hoping to find the complete series DVD for semi-cheap somewhere - Ive only seen seasons 1+2 so far

glad someone finally mentioned mitch hedberg. he was amazing. there was a sweet spot with his stuff, when it worked it really killed, but often fell pretty flat at times too - given the simplicity of it.

saw louis ck a few weeks ago, had shitty seats so could've been better, preferred his previous few shows, but might have liked it more if it had been in a smaller venue. will want to rewatch when the video comes out.

saw stewart lee last year, was great and he's been in great form in recent years.

stanhope is great, definitely my favourite guy working at the moment. the bit about killing his ma is brilliant. disliking him because of some vague alt-right smear is fucking retarded.

I liked that todd barry crowd work show, but don't know much of his other stuff.

maria bamford was also mentioned, she's great too. tig notaro also great. 

dylan moran was great before he stopped drinking. kindof boring now, unsurprisingly.

bill hicks was way overrated, but pretty good. find a lot of the older stuff hasn't really aged that well, carlin and pryor for example. and lenny bruce just wasn't funny at all. I can understand why comedians revere those guys though, but they don't do anything for me. i still like woody allen's stuff though, even though he apparently hated stand up.

frankie boyle is better as a social commentator i find. his stand up made me laugh, but an hour of recited one liners mixed with ruthless audience bullying was a kind of shallow format i found. 

kevin bridges is funny as fuck.