IGNORED

material

Verdant Hickies

I'm not sure if this thread will lead to any major realizations but here's the thing:

I've been working on a bunch of abstract noise and ambient stuff and one thing that I've had trouble with was recreating the sounds of certain materials. Metal is pretty easy to recreate, with some short reverb or Xor distortions, but as for wood ceramics and plastic I'm pretty much clueless.

Do any of you have experience with this, or any stories to share?

I'm not sure if this thread will lead to any major realizations but here's the thing:

I've been working on a bunch of abstract noise and ambient stuff and one thing that I've had trouble with was recreating the sounds of certain materials. Metal is pretty easy to recreate, with some short reverb or Xor distortions, but as for wood ceramics and plastic I'm pretty much clueless.

Do any of you have experience with this, or any stories to share?

Why don't you use a mic to sample the sounds you want?

This is pretty interesting stuff, though I'm unsure if there are any software releases making use of the concept beyond acoustic drum modelling etc..

Quick google for modal synthesis comes back with a bunch of academic papers, interesting but not much use.

Otherwise, I guess physical modelling will give you some cool results, quite a few cool vsts about.. I've not used it yet, but Kaivo from Madrona looks especially cool:

http://madronalabs.com/products/kaivo

Also, might work out well since it uses a granular sampler as it's main impulse source, so you could maybe start with a recording of the material you want the characteristics of, and go from there.

Boring, I think doing it the modular way would give more interesting results, as it's more customizable.

This is pretty interesting stuff, though I'm unsure if there are any software releases making use of the concept beyond acoustic drum modelling etc..

Quick google for modal synthesis comes back with a bunch of academic papers, interesting but not much use.

Otherwise, I guess physical modelling will give you some cool results, quite a few cool vsts about.. I've not used it yet, but Kaivo from Madrona looks especially cool:

http://madronalabs.com/products/kaivo

Also, might work out well since it uses a granular sampler as it's main impulse source, so you could maybe start with a recording of the material you want the characteristics of, and go from there.

This is very cool, thanks a lot, top post!

Boring, I think doing it the modular way would give more interesting results, as it's more customizable.

I can see how you'd have total control over a sound if you synthesize it but samples are also very malleable

Possibly - Its by the same folks so probably grabs most of the physical modelling algorithms present in it. I guess it's akin to the separate instruments Native Instruments sell that were made from Reaktor.

Archived