IGNORED

D'Angelo - Black Messiah

auxien

i'm curious to hear the new album but i honestly can't say i'm excited. i don't like the title and the fact that (supposedly) most of the music is political and has something to do with people coming together like during ferguson, occupy wallstreet etc makes it sound like he just started working on it recently.

so far it's pretty damn good, but did anyone find it funny how his interpretation of the title was that "everyone is a black messiah because it represents what we should all strive for when we work together" but the second song has a black guy ranting that jesus was actually black?

as far as his abs? (semi nsfw?)

tumblr_m2qgz6f6E71qbhgf1o1_500.gif

Definitely enjoyed the album on first listen. Perhaps a bit more than I expected; I remember the first few times I listened to Voodoo all the way through, it went over my head and/or didn't seep in quite right...it still does on occasion, honestly. But nonetheless, I love Voodoo...

Black Messiah is definitely not Voodoo pt. 2 (except for maybe the last track...), which is of course good. Some tracks are more tame/conventional than expected, but that doesn't mean they aren't of a very high quality and of interest. Other tracks are very much out there. Need to give it some more time to sink in.

Also, I need the CD. Any word yet on when it's coming out?

Really not feeling the Sugah Daddy single, it feels like pretentious low key soul/funk like its trying really hard to be minimal smooth and funky

i think you're reaching here because this album is a result of a Miles Davis' Dark Magus and Gaye's Let's Get It On having a booty call and that baby grows up to be hero

Really not feeling the Sugah Daddy single, it feels like pretentious low key soul/funk like its trying really hard to be minimal smooth and funky

i think you're reaching here because this album is a result of a Miles Davis' Dark Magus and Gaye's Let's Get It On having a booty call and that baby grows up to be hero

Oh yeah im sure the album's amazing.. i think i probably chose to listen to new d'angelo at the wrong time (was having a super crabby day yesterday lol), but that groove / melody in that single just wasnt hitting me at the time. i should give it a second listen though and check out the album as i am a fan of the guy.

This not being on the first page was getting awkward...

Another Life. This track is epiphanies.

Might be my favorite track on the album. Definitely the one that connected with me best on the very first listens...it has a Voodoo-type feel, mixed with a more traditional Soul sound, so how could one not love it?

I'd say a lot of the album is an exercise is mixtures like that; "Sugah Daddy" sounds a lot like his early style R&B, but written with a jazzy/progressive twist. "1000 Deaths" and the two parts of "Back to the Future" are definitely 70's funk-based, but aren't stifled by trying to sound retro or 'classic,' which keeps them from being too cheesy or uninteresting.

The whole album is full of good or great songs, and works together in my opinion. It's not a very specific, strange world like Voodoo was, and I do miss that somewhat; however, if he'd tried to force something like that again, it may've turned out pure shit. I think it'll just keep getting better.

• 3 weeks later...

Quality. Of very good quality. Some gorgeous arrangements on this album.

Unrelated: I wish Dilla was around to work with him on this album. It seems like it would have been a great fit.

I must have been living under a huge rock as I haven't heard of D'Angelo before and I just get annoyed because I read D'Arcangelo everytime, but man this album was everywhere I looked these last few weeks, haven't seen such hype since... Syro probably. Still though, I cannot NOT check this out now.

I cannot NOT check this out now.

If you like neo-soul, this album is pretty much the definition of. Get enlightened Herr. Might want to hit Voodoo first though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived