IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

i would have loved that as a kid. Instead I was only allowed chinese stars

me too. it's strange how realistic toy guns were in the early to late 60s yet there weren't nearly as many school shootings as there are nowadays despite the fact that it was much easier to acquire a firearm. what do you suppose happened?

https://youtu.be/El6t8lcz0V4

Am I the only one getting a little verklempt by this? He seems really sincere, he felt like it was something worth protecting. It's a nice gesture regardless of how you feel about this batshit country. I'd buy the guy a beer. Or a root beer and a snickers if that's what he's into.

"I don't get all choked up about yellow ribbons and American flags. I consider them to be symbols and I leave symbols to the symbolminded."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDw-zFFhFgc

Am I the only one getting a little verklempt by this? He seems really sincere, he felt like it was something worth protecting. It's a nice gesture regardless of how you feel about this batshit country. I'd buy the guy a beer. Or a root beer and a snickers if that's what he's into.

"I don't get all choked up about yellow ribbons and American flags. I consider them to be symbols and I leave symbols to the symbolminded."

what's with the anti-semitic title on a george carlin vid?

Various symbols represent varying things in varying amounts to various humans. Looking down on someone because to them the American flag deserves respect is akin to calling an aging Holocaust survivor a pussy because they cry when they see a yellow star of David from victims. Some people take the symbology thing way too far of course, but this doesn't seem to be one of those cases at all.

i would have loved that as a kid. Instead I was only allowed chinese stars

me too. it's strange how realistic toy guns were in the early to late 60s yet there weren't nearly as many school shootings as there are nowadays despite the fact that it was much easier to acquire a firearm. what do you suppose happened?

https://youtu.be/El6t8lcz0V4

Does anyone even doubt he killed Walt Disney? lol

D0CBB4C2-6541-4718-BB96-A74177DC0406_zps

813C8D30-12E8-4526-A60D-B7A98551C6F1_zps

16022486-6190-4294-93CF-D65B4D25DCFB_zps

Various symbols represent varying things in varying amounts to various humans. Looking down on someone because to them the American flag deserves respect is akin to calling an aging Holocaust survivor a pussy because they cry when they see a yellow star of David from victims. Some people take the symbology thing way too far of course, but this doesn't seem to be one of those cases at all.

Your analogy doesn't work. First of all, because the American flag doesn't symbolize a tragedy like the Holocaust. You can at least wait for this debate to degrade first before playing the Nazi card.

The American flag is cloth and nothing more. If you want to attribute personal pride to a flag then you've been duped. What other inanimate objects would you like to half-worship? Want to honor America? Then do right by Americans, not some fucking flag you got on discount at Walmart.

This is what the woman says in the video: "I want everyone to feel the respect that this young man had for his country."

It's a flag, not a country. He's showing respect for a flag (object) and the lady (person) that he returned it to (assuming she wasn't the one that threw it in the garbage).

The entire idea that you need to regard the flag itself as a cherished object, and as an extension of the country itself, is absurd. It is a system of control.

Your analogy doesn't work. First of all, because the American flag doesn't symbolize a tragedy like the Holocaust. You can at least wait for this debate to degrade first before playing the Nazi card.

So just because the Holocaust was a tragedy and America is a country, the ideas of symbolism in regards to them are different? Here I thought symbolism in any aspect was essentially the same: a thing represents some other thing. A middle finger doesn't actually mean i want to poke upwards into someone, if only I were closer to them, nor does it mean I want to have carnal relations with them. It's just a symbol.

The American flag is cloth and nothing more. If you want to attribute personal pride to a flag then you've been duped. What other inanimate objects would you like to half-worship? Want to honor America? Then do right by Americans, not some fucking flag you got on discount at Walmart.

whoa we dun been duped? shit son i can almost feel it now...is this what being woke is like? wow, you definitely r like morpheus in that movie Matrix. Walmart=(d)evil

It sure seems like you're assuming I half-worship inanimate objects, or anything, which is a hell of an assumption if so, as I've said nothing of the sort. I'm gonna tell you that I don't.

This is what the woman says in the video: "I want everyone to feel the respect that this young man had for his country."

It's a flag, not a country. He's showing respect for a flag (object) and the lady (person) that he returned it to (assuming she wasn't the one that threw it in the garbage).

...but the respect he shows for the flag, to him and to others obviously, is him showing respect for what it represents. It's an extension of his respect...that's how symbols work. I mean, I'm not trying to be condescending, but your argument suggests to me that you honestly don't know or are just saying shit without thinking it through. It's not like he's folding the flag respectfully just because of the flag...obviously...this is one of the many things I'd guess someone like him does that shows his feelings towards the country and what it means to him. If you cherish a thing, you show that to it and, some people at least, to the symbols that represent it. That's arguably just human nature. It sort of feels like you're arguing against human nature to me and that just seems absurd.

The entire idea that you need to regard the flag itself as a cherished object, and as an extension of the country itself, is absurd. It is a system of control.

Blind reverence and blind faith are enemies. No one in the video, including the garbageman, or on here, ever says the flag is a cherished object or needs to be treated as such. The garbagemen chose to treat it like a cherished object, as he is wont to do. I thought that was touching, because it was obviously something that meant a lot to him. You're right that a nation's symbology can be used to subtly influence them, of course. Rail against that all you want, but to me this video doesn't really do that. Sure it was filmed and broadcasted in America, but it reeks much more of puff-piece than government propaganda.

Edited by auxien

So just because the Holocaust was a tragedy and America is a country, the ideas of symbolism in regards to them are different? Here I thought symbolism in any aspect was essentially the same: a thing represents some other thing. A middle finger doesn't actually mean i want to poke upwards into someone, if only I were closer to them, nor does it mean I want to have carnal relations with them. It's just a symbol.

It's because your argument is incongruent. It is illogical. You haven't put together a cogent argument.

whoa we dun been duped? shit son i can almost feel it now...is this what being woke is like? wow, you definitely r like morpheus in that movie Matrix. Walmart=(d)evil

It sure seems like you're assuming I half-worship inanimate objects, or anything, which is a hell of an assumption if so, as I've said nothing of the sort. I'm gonna tell you that I don't.

You must be an altright troll.

...but the respect he shows for the flag, to him and to others obviously, is him showing respect for what it represents. It's an extension of his respect...that's how symbols work. I mean, I'm not trying to be condescending, but your argument suggests to me that you honestly don't know or are just saying shit without thinking it through. It's not like he's folding the flag respectfully just because of the flag...obviously...this is one of the many things I'd guess someone like him does that shows his feelings towards the country and what it means to him. If you cherish a thing, you show that to it and, some people at least, to the symbols that represent it. That's arguably just human nature. It sort of feels like you're arguing against human nature to me and that just seems absurd.

No. It's just an object. Whatever an object symbolizes isn't the thing itself. Respect for a flag is respect for a flag and that's all. It is not your country and should not be revered. It's cloth.

Blind reverence and blind faith are enemies. No one in the video, including the garbageman, or on here, ever says the flag is a cherished object or needs to be treated as such. The garbagemen chose to treat it like a cherished object, as he is wont to do. I thought that was touching, because it was obviously something that meant a lot to him. You're right that a nation's symbology can be used to subtly influence them, of course. Rail against that all you want, but to me this video doesn't really do that. Sure it was filmed and broadcasted in America, but it reeks much more of puff-piece than government propaganda.

It's his actions that you can clearly see. If it weren't cherished, he wouldn't have bothered with any of that.

Obviously, it's not government propaganda, but it's one of the notions that subtly pervades the American subconscious. We're taught to revere it in the pledge of allegiance. It literally says "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It's not just good enough for your allegiance to your country, you also have to be allegiant to a fucking flag.

Braintree:

1. Why is my argument comparing two symbols illogical? Exaggerated perhaps, but illogical? How? Explain it to me like I'm 5.

2. I was being a smart ass, but I'm never a troll. But flol at alt right ever being a descriptor for me, I assume that was a joke? I laughed.

3 & 4. I'm guessing you honestly do not understand how symbolism works (unlikely) or are just hung up on railing against national symbolism in general. Have fun with that.

Can we just go back to the feels? I wanna give that guy all the beer in my fridge.

Can we just go back to the lols?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/29/neo-nazi-rally-pikeville-kentucky-anti-fascist

“I’m sorry I voted for the son of a bitch, I really am,” said Art Jones, who the Anti-Defamation League identifies as a Holocaust denier who has been dressing in Nazi garb and celebrating Hitler since the 1970s.

“I’m sorry I spent $180 out of my own pocket to buy three big banners that said, ‘President Trump, build the wall’,” the blazer-clad Jones said, to a tent full of about 100 men, some of whom wore paramilitary-style uniforms. “Now he says, ‘Eh, what wall?’ I’m embarrassed that I voted for him.”