IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

On 5/7/2019 at 8:32 PM, ambergonk said:

Another fuckin god damn school shooting.
text

20 years ago the Columbine shit was in the headlines for weeks after it went down. Now it seems to be a weekly occurrence. 

19 hours ago, ignatius said:

ya never know w/him though.  when the tariffs started w/china our allies approached the white house asking to "do this together. to work as a united front" since there are a lot of things that various nations want to sort out w/china and gradually make changes.  trump let everyone know that this is "his fight" and he'd be going alone. meaning.. the USA would be going alone. 

what's hilarious is USA imports more steel from Canada than from China. but whatever... 

i don't think trump would go whole hog on an invasion but he's dumb enough to be convinced to do anything.

Yeah Trump's genius negotiating team on the USCMA (new NAFTA) tried their level best to fuck up that relationship as well. After all, "deficits bad! surplus good!"

god threatens to "be done with america" if we pass the equality act. the equality act would prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity (clearly a very bad thing).

alabama voted for a new abortion bill that makes it illegal to have an abortion in that state at any stage of the pregnancy- except where a woman's health is at serious risk but she's not allowed to have an abortion in cases of rape or incest. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/us/alabama-abortion-facts-law-bill.html

I foresee many people taking long trips out of their home state of Alabama in the near future.

I lived in a very conservative area and I can't tell you how many times I heard or heard about someone thinking about having an abortion, from people who would tell you they were anti-abortion if the next two decades of their life weren't about to change.

I feel like many people here are anti-abortion when they can afford to take the "high road".

Edited by Brisbot

23 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I foresee many people taking long trips out of their home state of Alabama in the near future.

I lived in a very conservative area and I can't tell you how many times I heard or heard about someone thinking about having an abortion, from people who would tell you they were anti-abortion if the next two decades of their life weren't about to change.

I feel like many people here are anti-abortion when they can afford to take the "high road".

yeah but remember- abortion, even where it's legal, has been made pretty difficult to perform. and i'm not sure how it will work for most people who's insurance is covered in a state where it's illegal- meaning they'd actually have little (go to mexico?) or no choice but to get it performed illegally. 

also there are different situations like this pre-term labor situation or simply a matter of not wanting the baby and trying to avoid it being put in a home.

38 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

yeah but remember- abortion, even where it's legal, has been made pretty difficult to perform. and i'm not sure how it will work for most people who's insurance is covered in a state where it's illegal- meaning they'd actually have little (go to mexico?) or no choice but to get it performed illegally. 

also there are different situations like this pre-term labor situation or simply a matter of not wanting the baby and trying to avoid it being put in a home.

OH I know, and people do leave the State. If I remember right there are only a few clinics in Texas for example. Even though abortion isn't technically illegal, it basically is. And yeah of course there are different situations, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy between when something is a real issue and when something is this kinda vague thing.

the georgia bill has language that makes it possible to charge a woman w/murder if leaves the state for an abortion and returns to georgia. 

all this shit is bonkers. they're throwing up all these laws in hopes of getting one as a case in front of the supreme court. 

If Roe VS Wade gets overturned and all the dumb states pull an Alabama/Georgia in celebration, won’t it just create a huge brain drain and fuck up their economies even more? It seems like it would just make a big portion of the US go full third world. 

4 minutes ago, Candiru said:

If Roe VS Wade gets overturned and all the dumb states pull an Alabama/Georgia in celebration, won’t it just create a huge brain drain and fuck up their economies even more? It seems like it would just make a big portion of the US go full third world. 

alabama is already fucked though. they'd be happy in the stone age.  - aren't there already enough reasons not to live in alabama?

just look at these easy to digest facts from facebook ?

60350032_10218283451655909_7224136666909

Edited by ignatius

The same good ol' God-fearing folks who claim to be pro-life also have no qualms about dropping bombs all over the Middle East, or separating children of migrant families from their parents and putting them in cages.

Maybe the Confederacy should've been allowed to secede after all during the Civil War, so we wouldn't have to share a country with them.

31 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

The same good ol' God-fearing folks who claim to be pro-life also have no qualms about dropping bombs all over the Middle East, or separating children of migrant families from their parents and putting them in cages.

Maybe the Confederacy should've been allowed to secede after all during the Civil War, so we wouldn't have to share a country with them.

Andrew Johnson fucked up the reconstruction era by not making the traitors pay, the way I see it. 

44 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Andrew Johnson fucked up the reconstruction era by not making the traitors pay, the way I see it. 

Sherman burned a wide path all over the south destroying cities right? there's the whole story about Savanah being too pretty to destroy and all that.. 

but Lincoln had other plans. full reconstruction. so much was abandoned when he was assassinated. but he thought everyone had suffered enough. the promises of emancipation weren't delivered. 

here's some generic history from encyclopedia/com

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/applied-and-social-sciences-magazines/reconciliation-movement

The Reconciliation Movement

The American Civil War ended in April 1865, but the debate over the political, social, and economic repercussions of the war continued well into the next century. The devastating effects of the war and questions regarding the status of former slaves divided Northerners and Southerners, often resulting in further bloodshed. Even during Reconstruction, white Americans began to seek common ground on which they could unite and forget the pain and loss of war. The reconciliation movement was an effort to obscure the legacy of emancipation and black participation in the war in favor of remembering the conflict as a fight between white Americans, Northern and Southern, which ultimately proved the honor and dignity of both sides.

Reconciliation downplayed the violence of battle, the failure to secure civil rights for former slaves, the centrality of slavery to the conflict, and the opposition to the war in both the Union and the Confederacy. White veterans of both sides embraced this movement in the 1880s and 1890s, after the responsibility of enforcing Reconstruction had been turned over to the Southern state governments. Reconciliation hid the true nature and meaning of the war for many Americans for decades to come, at the cost of creating a narrative of the war that almost eliminated the emancipationist legacy that African American citizens valued.

1 hour ago, ambergonk said:

the slaves though... 

8 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Sherman burned a wide path all over the south destroying cities right? there's the whole story about Savanah being too pretty to destroy and all that.. 

but Lincoln had other plans. full reconstruction. so much was abandoned when he was assassinated. but he thought everyone had suffered enough. the promises of emancipation weren't delivered. 

here's some generic history from encyclopedia/com

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/applied-and-social-sciences-magazines/reconciliation-movement

the slaves though... 

Yeah I thought about that. In an alternate history scenario, I figured it would just be a matter of fleeing across the border. Not like they had satellites and facial recognition technology back then. Easier said than done though, obv

I’ll be the first to say it and accept the shit storm here. I’m anti-abortion. Part of me wants to describe a hypothetical situation to cause some of you to think more deeply on the subject. Part of me wants to throwout some philosophy which would do the same. But I think the most beneficial thing would be for me to post some hard statistics on loneliness ( comes with being single more often than not ) which is rampant in developed countries or the fertility rate in the US. Food for thought: this country, more over the world, didn’t become over populated by - let’s say magic. It became over populated due to consumption, which is akin to avarice. 

Whether you agree or not is fine. I just want to show not everyone thinks the same. Since, I presume, most of you might have already made up your mind on the subject I’ll stop after this last sentence.

If what I’ve written here has even made one of you rethink what you know then I’m happy we had an exchange of understanding.

Love & Light

Free & Easy

I never thought of it that way. About loneliness leading to lots of shagging in developing countries and how lots of shagging in developed countries isn't magical, and about how all of that isn't about consumption but greed, and that TOTALLY makes it okay for a bunch of crusty old white men to control what women do with their bodies.  

I get it now, thank you for your light.

Edited by Brisbot

I'm kinda mixed on the abortion issue TBH. On one hand, I think it's justified if the conception was from intercourse that a woman never consented to in the first place...but not if she consented to said intercourse. But at the same time, I don't think old bible-thumping white men in suits should have authority in the woman's decision, just because they believe "God says it's bad mmkay"

25 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

I'm kinda mixed on the abortion issue TBH. On one hand, I think it's justified if the conception was from intercourse that a woman never consented to in the first place...but not if she consented to said intercourse. But at the same time, I don't think old bible-thumping white men in suits should have authority in the woman's decision, just because they believe "God says it's bad mmkay"

I think most people are mixed. There's nothing 'good' or comfortable about the topic and there are no winners. Even if you're pro-choice there are different ideas about how long you can wait until it's too late to have one. I'm not going to pretend i know the answer to that, but what bothers me even more are the crusty old holier than thou men who want to impose their ideas of morality on you and control what you do with yourself.

Just looking at Ethel's post makes me groan with the "I have thought this through more deeply than you heathens" attitude. ugh.

it's none of my business. it's not the government's business. it's a medical procedure and should be between patient and doctor. 

it should be known that the people who are anti-abortion aren't interested in pragmatism. if they were they'd support early sex ed for kids, easy access to birth control etc etc etc.  they don't support these things. they aren't interested in reducing abortions.. they're interested in controlling women. 

abortion wasn't even really an issue until the republicans had a conference call and picked it out of a hat. 

wtf is 'love & light'?  someone gonna sell me amway now? 

wfhg2fathmy21.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=

Edited by ignatius