IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Can I just make  the observation that she was driving pretty dangerously? Filming and driving at the same time. And not keeping distance? Pick up truck dude was an idiot for going in the n word direction. But I can guess he had some frustrations about how she was driving. And from the looks of it, he may have had a point.

er, what? 

dude.. there's no reason to bring that word out. you can cuss someone out for shitty driving w/o being racist about it.  the n-word is forbidden. that's how i feel anyways.. i mean.. you can get real pissed off at someone.. have words.. tell them to fuck off.. but if you then drop a n-bomb on them you flipped  a switch.  lit a fuse.. whatever.  

it's fucked up. no need for a white person to go there because it means something else entirely..  that guy int he truck knows what it means and he knows she knows what it means and exactly what he's saying to her. and that's why he said it.  a white person holding that word over a black person and flaunting it.. is waving it like a flag. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

Its fucked up in both ways is all im saying. Were not going into a discussion about whats worse right? Unsafe driving or saying some stupid shit. To me that n word thing is just stupid shit. But that doesnt erase the other stupid shit that most likely was happening before. Are you saying we should just ignore the rest because he said n-word?

Reminds me of the Bill Burr sketch about why you cant hit a woman and having an argument. The second you call her a cunt, everything that happened until that point in a discussion stops to matter and its about calling her a cunt. Similar logic, without the racial context. It's silly, imo. 

She probably pissed him off with her driving behavior. He said stupid shit to her. And she basically runs away with it while being completely oblivious to her part of the story. Lets just call both of them "unwise". Neither have learned their lesson, I'm guessing. Unless he lost his job because he got caught by the politically correct police on twitter. As far as I'm concerned she should lose her drivers license for unsafe driving behavior. 

not saying ignore anything or that him being a racist asshole erases her bad behavior.. just saying.. there's zero need to use that word and the only reason he does it is because its ability to hurt a black person in a very precise way.  it's more than a word really.  it's basically saying "know your place. i'm a white man and you are less than me".   that's what he's saying to her.  he could've easily said "you dumb asshole learn how to drive" or whatever road ragey type bullshit we yell in our cars.  it seems obvious to me but i grew up in a diverse place w/lot's of people of color and it becomes well understood at somepoint in life what that word means.. and it's not the same to everyone but i've seen it hurt people pretty badly so maybe i'm over reacting but it's more than just typical stupid shit people say. 

i'm all for distracted driving laws and getting police to actually enforce them.  i look forward to everyone having a self driving car because most drivers are fucking idiots. just spend 20 minutes looking at r/idiotsincars and you'll never drive w/o anxiety again. 

I think it comes down to different cultural context for the n-word between someone born and raised in the US and someone who isn't. Europe has it's own brand of racism and the n-word doesn't have the same history as it does in the US.

• Like 1

Look, if it was a jewish woman and a guy using jewish slur, i'd make a similar argument. The whole argument about words and their meanings is a bit too much. It pretends to know peoples inner most thoughts, which is impossible. And it also pretends that a word has a single meaning, which should be exactly the same for all. 

We can agree the use is tasteless and unwise. I just don't agree with the word police perspective where even uttering a specific word makes you guilty of a list of things you might not have even thought about. Or may have thought about, for that matter.

My lesson for today following my question whether i could make that observation: no i can not make the observation she was driving unsafely. As that got me into this discussion. Thanks to the word police. 

I'm going to make a new police department. One for the policing of freedom of consciousness. People should be allowed to make observations. 

6 minutes ago, goDel said:

What are we arguing about? Think I'm supporting him by saying she was driving unsafely?

i don't know. no. i don't think you're supporting him at all.  also, didn't know we were arguing. thought it more of a discussion but internet is like that.  like i said.. maybe i'm over reacting

Edited by ignatius

1 hour ago, azatoth said:

I think it comes down to different cultural context for the n-word between someone born and raised in the US and someone who isn't. Europe has it's own brand of racism and the n-word doesn't have the same history as it does in the US.

Yes, Europeans mostly know it from Hip Hop. But I wonder why in countries that were big colonial powers like the Netherlands or France the sensitisation for that topic isn't more similar to the American one. Maybe it's the years of coexistence in race segregation that make the difference here, if that's not an assumption too reckless to make

^lol...so weird seeing that...I knew Theo back in college. had no idea he was a semi-famous stand up now. last I heard of him was back when he was doing the road rules mtv stuff...and pretty sure dude didn't grow up in a poor black area either. he's from Covington/Mandeville area, which is across the lake from New Orleans, where all the white families moved back in the day when New Orleans got too poor & dangerous. but anyway, comedians have complete artistic license to make up any bullshit they want in order to get a laugh...

• Like 1

If someone's driving is poor, then you should avoid them. Yelling at them will most likely make them drive worse.

Yelling at people in traffic is fucking stupid. Get a grip.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:52 AM, darreichungsform said:

Yes, Europeans mostly know it from Hip Hop. But I wonder why in countries that were big colonial powers like the Netherlands or France the sensitisation for that topic isn't more similar to the American one. Maybe it's the years of coexistence in race segregation that make the difference here, if that's not an assumption too reckless to make

Kind of like how cunt is still used in UK as a slur against women or men, whereas in the US it's unforgiveable to say it.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from all of the political and military atrocities, this is one of the most embarrassing things about being American.

• Like 2