IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

It's not so left liberal in Finland as you would believe based on the news. Based on the polls the right-wing populists are now the most popular party. But the parliament elections are 3.5 years ahead in the future so I'll be just enjoying those sweet sweet alt-right and conservative tears until then.

Edited by zkom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, zkom said:

It's not so left liberal in Finland as you would believe based on the news. Based on the polls the right-wing populists are now the most popular party. But the parliament elections are 3.5 years ahead in the future so I'll be just enjoying those sweet sweet alt-right and conservative tears until then.

Let's hope that until then the global right shift will be replaced by a global left shift. But honestly I have little hope. People are just too fucking stupid (or pliable for that matter). And the masses of old people have never learnt media literacy and are therefore welcome victims of the right's lies. Bummer because I want to continue thinking of Finland as the land of fairies and wonders and endless social democracy, lol. Reality sucks

3 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Finland's bosses:

wide__820x461__desktop

I think that's relevant in the America thread 

Hold your beer! We still don't know the outcome of their time in government.

I'm watching CNN for the first time in +10 years in my hotel room and this is terrible.
It's like a 24 hour trailer for a new terrible drama/action film. Earlier they showed a clip of someone shooting two people in a church.

I feel like I'm getting dumber by the minute while watching this.

• Like 1

Is that because its CNN, or a US newschannel in general? Spent some time with Fox News years ago when I was in Mexico. It was exactly as you say. Only Fox. Everything was in hyperbole and fake. Like a fake orange juice with too much sugar. I was amased about the idea people would watch this throughout the day. That stuff can't be healthy. 

• Burger 1

I honestly thought CNN was a bit more down to earth and not THIS American, because this is a Idiocracy-level of “AMERICAN NEWS”  

It just seems insane that this is an actual news source. It’s news produced for people with a 2 sec attention span who needs cinematic music to help them digest what is going on. It’s fucking insane and extremely sad. 

8 minutes ago, Squee said:

I honestly thought CNN was a bit more down to earth and not THIS American, because this is a Idiocracy-level of “AMERICAN NEWS”  

It just seems insane that this is an actual news source. It’s news produced for people with a 2 sec attention span who needs cinematic music to help them digest what is going on. It’s fucking insane and extremely sad. 

CNN was still awful during the Bush years. It's been a piece of shit for a long time.

24 minutes ago, Braintree said:

CNN was still awful during the Bush years. It's been a piece of shit for a long time.

yeah.. it's awful. fucking wolf blitzer news room w/all the tvs and shit.  breaking news is a shit show.

10 minutes ago, StephenG said:

What exactly is a good source of news? 

I've seen every outlet lambasted at some point in my life. They all seem like shit.

I don’t know enough about American news outlets to give you a good answer. All I know is that the two main news programs we have here are always doing their best at providing an objective perspective on political topics and aren’t afraid of asking politicians extremely critical questions in interviews. 
Also, they don’t blow things out of proportion. 

12 minutes ago, Squee said:

I don’t know enough about American news outlets to give you a good answer. All I know is that the two main news programs we have here are always doing their best at providing an objective perspective on political topics and aren’t afraid of asking politicians extremely critical questions in interviews. 
Also, they don’t blow things out of proportion. 

Not even necessarily American, I'm wondering what news sources worldwide may be good. I've generally gone to the BBC for news as articles always seem to be fairly neutral and just present whatever facts are known. But apparently the BBC is fairly biased too...? I've read similar things about the BBC as I am reading ITT about CNN. (srry so many 3 letter acronyms).

What are the two main ones where you are?

Edited by StephenG

2 hours ago, StephenG said:

Not even necessarily American, I'm wondering what news sources worldwide may be good. I've generally gone to the BBC for news as articles always seem to be fairly neutral and just present whatever facts are known. But apparently the BBC is fairly biased too...? I've read similar things about the BBC as I am reading ITT about CNN. (srry so many 3 letter acronyms).

What are the two main ones where you are?

I think the trick is to use different news outlets, both independent and large ones, preferably from different countries. Also, more left leaning media is usually less biased (even if that sounds like a contradiction). Still read right-wing media occasionally to see what it's up to

As a genuine source of information definitely avoid media that is associated with Rupert Murdoch, which pushed the Iraq war, Israel's right-wing government, Brexit and general brainwash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BBC in general is better than just about every US outlet primarily because their interviews are actually assertive and not pandering and their coverage is far more comprehensive, so much so that often you can find out more of what occurred stateside than by following stateside major news outlets. Guardian is solid as well and offers more opinion pieces. 

NPR is too soft lately but they still do excellent in-depth coverage. 

WaPo and NYT op-eds range from meh to godawful but their actual in-depth and investigative coverage is excellent. 

Intercept and ProPublica are excellent, the later especially is one of the boldest investigative journalist entities in existence.

Vox is one of the better sources for political insights, especially US politics. Not perfect but far better and less knee-jerk than most others. 

CNN, MSNBC, and the other majors are corporate oriented and very complicit to maintaining the status quo. FOX is literally a right-wing propaganda outlet and proxy state run news station for the GOP. Many US local news stations are owned by corporate parent companies, Sinclair being a notably right-wing one that curtails a lot of honest coverage. Many of the better city newspapers are closing shop because they can't compete with major online outlets nor more niche community outlets. 

If you want to explore left-wing news and editorials check out Jacobin, Mother Jones, the podcasts majority report, chapo trap house, and citations needed. I also check out Texas Observer, Texas Monthly's features and Texas Tribune though those are obviously niche to my locale, as is Austin Chronicle.

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 2