IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

15 hours ago, Braintree said:

I wonder if I should brush up on my German and look into a work visa in case the next election goes south.

If you move to Europe I'd go to the Netherlands, Denmark, Finland or Norway, unless you wanna go to university, because then you should chose Germany as it's almost free here even for non-EU citizens. But maybe you have German ancestry and that's why you'd chose Germany. If you have a family member who wants to go to college tell them to come here to avoid a 40k dollar student loan

• Like 1

Germany is generally a lot cheaper compared to the nordics, so there's always that.

• Like 2

I'm more familiar with German and have German heritage, so that was my first choice. I don't mind learning another language. I'm mostly starting to get paranoid about being trapped in this country if things continue getting worse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IDEM said:

"Hallo, mein Name ist Gehirnbaum, und ich mag intelligente Tanzmusik."

Here, that should at least get you laid.

Or "はじめまして。脳木です。知能的なダンス音楽が大好きなんです。", should he find himself in a night club in Tokyo.

(Success not guaranteed, but maybe if the other party is drunk enough...)

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, ignatius said:

Religious Organizations Receive $7.3 Billion in PPP Loans, Megachurches Amass Millions

https://www.newsweek.com/religious-organizations-receive-73-billion-ppp-loans-megachurches-amass-millions-1515963

these fucks don't pay any taxes... but they're getting our tax dollars. 

"NEW YORK (AP) — The U.S. Roman Catholic Church used a special and unprecedented exemption from federal rules to amass at least $1.4 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus aid, with many millions going to dioceses that have paid huge settlements or sought bankruptcy protection because of clergy sexual abuse cover-ups."

https://apnews.com/dab8261c68c93f24c0bfc1876518b3f6

"Never forget to smile, even when life is hard" pope francis

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

40 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

trump supporter predicts november election results 

is that Biff from Back to the Future?

• Like 2

Regarding that beefy meathead Trump supporter: 

Man, people yell the stupidest things out of their trucks. I used to have to commute via bicycle (about 18 miles a day, round trip) when I lived in Florida, and I heard all sorts of un-insightful things just like that, long before this weird Trump-era we now find ourselves in. While not representative of the population at large, those kind of guys are representative of a certain segment of the population, the sort who will stick by Trump's side even if he shot someone on Fifth avenue, as he himself admitted. 

I don't know what I'm getting at here. I guess I was having some vivid memories brought to the surface there, and it got me to thinking that there are just enough of those sorts of people here in the U.S. that will always ensure life just kinda sucks for all of us. Trump wasn't elected by a majority, as everyone in the liberal camp loves to repeat ("He didn't win the popular vote!"), but his minority is a strong enough one to eek him out an electoral win. And even if Trump doesn't win re-election, the sad sort of mental gymnastics that these sub-average morons are all too eager to go through to justify their conspiracy theories about 5G and coronavirus, Obama, pizza shops, and so on really worry me about a peaceful transfer of power. (This is the point I wanted to write earlier in the Trump thread--I'll head over there in a minute.) That compounded with concerns over climate change, the global economy collapse, and the desperation over basic necessities such as housing and food are really going to make things very ugly in the next few months, not to mention the looming, almost never-addressed crisis over potable water is just going to mean major violence is inevitable. And what's there to be done about it? As a pretty cookie-cutter town "weirdo", I'll almost certainly be among the first to be culled, so I've just given up on preparations for any sort of life in that not-too-distant hellhole future. My colleagues all balk at everything I say about this shit (especially when I've brought up the water problem for the past few years), but they also scoffed when I laid out arguments for why I thought Trump stood a good chance of winning the 2016 election. 

I'm going to stop this and get back to work. I am seriously losing energy to move forward, though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Oh shit: I lived there for 8 years. Nice to see community members getting a platform for challenging the BIZARRE socio-economic disparity in that town. Everything he said about the obvious disparity in Syracuse was completely correct: really stark contrasts in just small distances, even from block to block. 

• Like 1

Anybody else seeing more of these Thin Blue Line logos on bumper stickers and apparel? From what I can tell it's a direct reaction to the widespread BLM protests in the last several weeks from Trumpers.

32 minutes ago, timbre monke said:

Anybody else seeing more of these Thin Blue Line logos on bumper stickers and apparel? From what I can tell it's a direct reaction to the widespread BLM protests in the last several weeks from Trumpers.

Oh yes: where I currently live (middle-of-nowhere farm country Midwest) those have been common enough to begin with, but they’ve been increasing, along with the flags with a red line, which I guess means “first responder lives matter”, too. It’s such an unsophisticated rhetorical move to shift the focus to a different, comfortable Fox News talking point, casting the whole discussion as a merely verbal dispute or equivocation. Then again, the most discourse you’ll get out of these people is that shouting you have from that meathead redneck in his pickup truck. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nebraska said:

trump supporter predicts november election results 

Why was he wearing two pairs of sunglasses?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Braintree said:

Why was he wearing two pairs of sunglasses?

I think the pair on his head are just regular glasses. Apparently he wore the sunglasses over them like one does.

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

American bashing has become lame at this point. No need to point out the obvious

I'm pretty OK with it. If you can figure out how to get 40% of our country to pull its collective head out of its ass, though, that'd be better. But I have next to no hope for them.

• Like 4