IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

5 minutes ago, ignatius said:

she sounds like a south park character. 

It’s kinda hard to believe, but then I get sobered up by trumps poll numbers (which aren’t zero) and I remember that I’m lucky to be in a bubble of friends who aren’t this weird. Glad to be insulated from this sort of craziness. Anderson cooper is paying people? Need to hydrate with tea? Yelling insanely “what is wrong with people?!” While shaking the camera with increasing rapidity? So very weird.

• Like 2

Seen loads of people from the west sharing videos of supposed Uyghur muslims being led to camps on twitter. Later found out that one of the videos was a cryptocurrency scam group being arrested, and another was a video from 2017 of a pyramid scheme group being led from a building with bags over their head to be detained.

I am in no way denying that China is detaining Uyghur muslims because I simply don't know but this is definitely some Iraq War WMD level shit.

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, milkface said:

Seen loads of people from the west sharing videos of supposed Uyghur muslims being led to camps on twitter. Later found out that one of the videos was a cryptocurrency scam group being arrested, and another was a video from 2017 of a pyramid scheme group being led from a building with bags over their head to be detained.

I am in no way denying that China is detaining Uyghur muslims because I simply don't know but this is definitely some Iraq War WMD level shit.

i'm always posting frontline episodes on watmm.  here's one they did on China. interesting story with lot's of angles and good interviews and undercover stuff. 

A special undercover report from China’s secretive Xinjiang region. FRONTLINE investigates the Communist regime’s mass imprisonment of Muslims, and its use and testing of sophisticated surveillance technology against the Uyghur community.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/china-undercover/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

incoming homelessness problem

they started processing evictions a couple weeks ago. really sucks for so many people.

any support for renters/landlords/homeowners was so horribly rolled out and too little too late. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

'not letting you into my building' karen

How many of these idiots have to ruin their own livelihoods before this shit stops? At least this one wasn't abusing a dog I guess.

• Like 1

As millions of people in the U.S. lose work and face eviction due to the economic crisis brought on by the pandemic, the 1% have seen a massive increase to their wealth, with Amazon founder and world’s richest person Jeff Bezos recently adding an estimated $13 billion to his net worth in a single day. World-renowned political dissident Noam Chomsky says the corporate windfall is yet more evidence that the U.S. is run “essentially by the corporate sector” for its own profits. “They’re just running wild.”

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/7/24/noam_chomsky_trump_is_using_pandemic

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/25/covid-cases-top-4-million-trump-base-reject-experts-column/5500345002/

America has now passed the milestone of 4 million COVID cases, and we’re still arguing with doctors and epidemiologists about masks and school closures. I expected some of this, because I literally wrote the book over three years ago on why so many Americans think they’re smarter than experts. What I did not expect is that this resolute and childish opposition to expertise would be hijacked by the president of the United States and an entire American political party, and then turned into a suicide cult.

Reject expertise and trust Trump

So committed are these Americans to assuaging their sore egos over their imagined lack of status that they are literally willing to die for it. Unfortunately, they seem all too willing to take many of us with them. This is not Jonestown or Heaven’s Gate, whose cult members fled society to go and die together. This is worse. This is an attempt to create a Jonestown in every American city and town and then invite the rest of us over for a cool drink.

The irony here is that the same people who reject expertise because they believe they are smart and clued in to the mistakes of experts will accept the word of Donald Trump — a man who has obliterated most of the projects he’s ever been involved with and who stands as the uncontested champion of American public liars — as the gospel truth.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, milkface said:

I assume you're talking about the video from the drone footage?

It's interesting that it's getting a lot of media attention now, considering this twitter thread from September last year, where the author shows that the video was taken in either 2017 or 2018:

• Like 1