How does the World view America these days?

8 minutes ago, Roo said:

To be fair, that has been fairly standard since it occurred. Anti-terrorism would encompass security clearance conduct, home security, espionage, cyberhack, smuggling, etc. and Manning from the outset was a good example of extreme and senseless breach. “Whistleblower...Equates...with terrorists” is deliberately a bit vague and biased. That said, I’m talking early 10s in a different country, Trump era America who knows, and Americans can tend to have more specific jobs with a smaller purview in my experience.

It's a really bad precedent to set, especially since whistleblowers aren't terrorists.

• Like 2
  • Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

It's a really bad precedent to set, especially since whistleblowers aren't terrorists.

I agree that seeming to equate whistleblowers with terrorists is a dodgy precedent to set. I read that slide in the article and it was made in poor taste imo, especially the shared conclusions. That said, counter-terrorism operations may be impacted by such an act as that, and it is an instructive case to people in a similar situation under the law with comparable access. 'Anti-terrorism' isn't just about explicit terrorist agents after all, and people involved in that space might also be transferably trained in broader security roles.

That said, Manning falls outside my definition of a genuine whistleblower.

But where lies the line between whistleblowing and stating the facts of something worrying unearthed of which the public has a right to know about?
In both cases it has consequences.
When is something harmful to the nation? When someone in power sees fit?
Has the public a right to know buried secrets? Which ones are okay and which ones are not?

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Guys, did somebody's dad suicide bomb a 5G facility?

that's my best guess. someone who was afraid of 5G towers creating covid and decided to take matters into their own hands.

18 minutes ago, mister miller said:

that's my best guess. someone who was afraid of 5G towers creating covid and decided to take matters into their own hands.

apparently dude was really depressed and made a spectacle of his suicide. 'private reasons' seems most likely for the explosion. i'm sure more details will come. 

14 minutes ago, ignatius said:

apparently dude was really depressed and made a spectacle of his suicide. 'private reasons' seems most likely for the explosion. i'm sure more details will come. 

wow. some joker shit. 

thats terrible

On 12/27/2020 at 12:22 PM, ignatius said:

im sorry but this is all I can hear rn

• Haha 1
On 12/30/2020 at 1:27 AM, ignatius said:

typical. 

Must have had a hard time hearing her over the chewing of a powdered doughnut.

• Farnsworth 1
5 hours ago, marf said:

People in other countries. Does your government's paper work ask you if you are white, black, hispanic, or asian?

yes. 

19 hours ago, marf said:

People in other countries. Does your government's paper work ask you if you are white, black, hispanic, or asian?

I don't think the Belgian government is allowed to ask for ones 'race'.
I think they can ask for:
 - your second nationality if you have one
 - your country of origin if you moved here
But I'm not completely sure.

Besides that there are quite some anti-discrimination-laws over here:
(found on the website of the Belgian government, auto google translate)
"It is prohibited to discriminate against any person or group of persons on the basis of:
     their race, his skin color, his origin, his national or ethnic origin
     their sex
     their sexual orientation
     their civil status
     their birth
     their age
     their capital
     their religion or philosophy
     their current or future health condition
     their disability or special physical characteristics
Any discrimination based on these characteristics can be punished with a fine or even imprisonment."

This is especially important for the government itself, people working in public government buildings, employers, employees, and landlords.

Though discrimination does still happen here, I'm sure...
And there are some politicians who occasionally do dare to make racist remarks in public...
And there are quite some people who do dare to make racist remarks in private...

Sadly, discrimination in general is on the rise in Europe I think.

Edited by MaartenVC
20 hours ago, marf said:

Nope.

20 hours ago, marf said:

Only on census forms. Hispanic isn't used outside of North America as far as I know.

Edited by Enthusiast
21 hours ago, marf said:

Only if indigenous (aboriginal or Torres Strait islander) or non-indigenous. The others never come up in paperwork in that way, LOTE first/second language accounts better there.