IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

On 12/31/2020 at 10:48 AM, marf said:

People in other countries. Does your government's paper work ask you if you are white, black, hispanic, or asian?

Define government paper work? 
Like a drivers license? Voting registration? Tax forms (that would be fucking weird)?

Places like Japan and South Korea, private sector resumes must include a photograph, so they can avoid hiring uglies. 
In Myanmar, they ask ethnicity and religion. If you’re not Buddhist and Bamar, you’re fucked. 

In Canada, government paperwork would almost never ask race, except for census related materials, and there are pretty strict privacy laws for Statistics Canada. 

Trump’s coup attempt of 2020-21, like other failed coup attempts, is a warning for those who care about the rule of law and a lesson for those who do not. His pre-fascism revealed a possibility for American politics. For a coup to work in 2024, the breakers will require something that Trump never quite had: an angry minority, organized for nationwide violence, ready to add intimidation to an election. Four years of amplifying a big lie just might get them this. To claim that the other side stole an election is to promise to steal one yourself. It is also to claim that the other side deserves to be punished.

Informed observers inside and outside government agree that right-wing white supremacism is the greatest terrorist threat to the United States. Gun sales in 2020 hit an astonishing high. History shows that political violence follows when prominent leaders of major political parties openly embrace paranoia.

Our big lie is typically American, wrapped in our odd electoral system, depending upon our particular traditions of racism. Yet our big lie is also structurally fascist, with its extreme mendacity, its conspiratorial thinking, its reversal of perpetrators and victims and its implication that the world is divided into us and them. To keep it going for four years courts terrorism and assassination.

The American Abyss (NYT)

A historian of fascism and political atrocity on Trump, the mob and what comes next.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this is gonna be america for a while. fingers crossed some big positive biden news keeps rolling in day after day to make people forget or not care wtf is up the donald

z5iw6e0shdd61.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ignatius said:
fingers crossed some big positive biden news keeps rolling in day after day to make people forget or not care wtf is up the donald

yeah man, kinda crazy to think how the societal temperature in this country has been taken down several notches almost overnight after the orange twitter king was dethroned. he was such a toxic ball of ridiculousness in all our lives. I don't know how long this feeling of political peacetime will last...I just hope the kool aid keeps draining outta the duped masses. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

this is gonna be america for a while. fingers crossed some big positive biden news keeps rolling in day after day to make people forget or not care wtf is up the donald

You forget how much tabloid fodder the Trumps provided New York in the 80s (infidelity, divorce, bankruptcies, fraud, etc) The American media will cover his downfall as vigilantly as his presidency, until he’s dead. Then for decades we’ll hear about one undiscovered abuse or crime after another, similar to Nixon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ignatius said:

Quite some unhealthy obsession about Moscow over there.
I'm ready for a sustaining stream of Biden gaffes. LMAOd hard already. Reminds me of my father-in-law, now he's not able to follow slightly complex situations any more.

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's easier to blame it all on the evil Russians than to admit that there is something fundamentally and inherently wrong with the US' political system and society as a whole. Russia is a useful enemy stereotype. That being said, Russia's government sux

• Like 1

I didn't know for sure in what thread to post this but I guess it kind of fits.
Two World Maps in Cartogram form showing population density and GDP density. (based on data from 2016)
TheWorldIn2016.thumb.png.361e164352682d82b55fdd1ba68d46fd.png
Pretty cool. (or not cool, because of the inequality obviously)

Here's a normal map btw:
1280px-Mollweide_projection_SW.jpg

Edited by MaartenVC
normal map
  • Like 3

*clicks play*

immediately some bitch starts talking about free speech and muzzling 1A rights, "we're turning the senate into a communist politburo"

*clicks stop*

just ban her ass already, there could not be someone more brutally incompetent and offensive to the job.

17 hours ago, Braintree said:

I'm not sure how they can defend her with a straight face knowing she thinks a Jewish space laser causes wildfires.

Shhhh man. Don't give away the secretes!

america is fucking dumb. dispute over shoveling snow between neighbors and the dude gets a gun and comes out and kills 2 neighbors. america is fucking dumb. really.  it's not safe to have an argument with anyone ever again.  video is embedded at the news site and is disturbing. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

america is fucking dumb. america is fucking dumb. really.  it's not safe to have an argument with anyone ever again.  

one guy acts stupid therefore the entire nation is dumb lol. generalizing much?

maybe the guy had mental health problems

16 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

one guy acts stupid therefore the entire nation is dumb lol. generalizing much?

maybe the guy had mental health problems

yes absolutely that's what i meant. ?

why so literal? can't a person have a reaction to the stupidity of something? i think america does have some toxic tough guy problems that are not limited to geography or socioeconomic stuff. it's everywhere really. people don't know how to beef anymore. conflict resolution is something many people just don't know about here in the good ol usa. it's something that should be taught in schools starting at age 8. 

obviously that guy is not well. it's not something any reasonable person does. he did go back in his house and suicide himself. pandemic isolation is pushing people to the edge for sure but i think this guy was probably already there at the edge for a good long while before the pandemic. 

but yeah.. america is pretty dumb. don't make me start a list of how/why/who. ?

and yeah america is smart and caring as well but i think the smart caring reasonable types don't get much air time and seem to be losing the battle. 

Edited by ignatius

They obviously didn't deserve to be shot, but on the other hand it sounds like they were pushing him for a while.

Witnesses of the incident said that Spaide initially asked the Goys to stop putting their snow on his property, but the confrontation quickly escalated into a heated argument and an exchange of profanities. Allegedly James Goy then threw a tool that he was using to clear snow from his vehicle at Spaide, and then approached him in a threatening manner, officials say.

Sounds like a final straw kind of moment.