IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

23 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

one guy acts stupid therefore the entire nation is dumb lol. generalizing much?

maybe the guy had mental health problems

70 million voted for trump. 70 fucking million, after his response to the deadliest pandemic the world has seen in a century left more than 300,000 Americans dead by election night. One of the elected representatives believes in the Qanon bullshit, and thousands of them raided the capitol based on nothing but smoke and hot air being blown up their asses. Combined with the massive gun fetishism in the country....there are serious issues with idiocy.

It doesn't help much that the Republican party has been defunding public education for decades.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Which one is better, USA or Canada?

One has universal health care (though we really need to include dental and optical and pharmaceuticals...which apparently are all being looked at). 

people do crazy shit all the time all over the world but social media curate the stuff that goes viral, which creates a representativeness bias. things get emphasized, taken out of context, blown out of proportion, etc. 

11 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

70 million voted for trump. 70 fucking million, after his response to the deadliest pandemic the world has seen in a century left more than 300,000 Americans dead by election night. One of the elected representatives believes in the Qanon bullshit, and thousands of them raided the capitol based on nothing but smoke and hot air being blown up their asses. Combined with the massive gun fetishism in the country....there are serious issues with idiocy.

It doesn't help much that the Republican party has been defunding public education for decades.

i don't doubt many americans are thick as shit and can be played like a violin but then again, there are dumb people all over the planet. i dont believe in american exceptionalism lol

Edited by brian trageskin

2 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

people do crazy shit all the time all over the world but social media curate the stuff that goes viral, which creates a representativeness bias. things get emphasized, taken out of context, etc. 

i don't doubt many americans are thick as shit and can be played like a violin but then again, there are dumb people all over the planet. i dont believe in american exceptionalism lol

Agreed with your points...but the stupid people here all have guns. Hundreds of millions of them. That is kind of exceptional.

Edited by Extralife
  • Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

30 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Which one is better, USA or Canada?

canada is chill & has nice woods, but our state/media propaganda tries way too hard to pass off "passive aggressive version of USA with no sense of telos & weak cultural identity" as "the friendly version of USA" & afa i can tell a large amount of the population buy into it.

12 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

no sense of telos & weak cultural identity

Do nation states in general have a sense of telos? I wouldn't have thought so...

I don't think our cultural identity is particularly weak, for such a young country. People around the world recognize Canada for hockey, maple syrup, Trailer Park Boys, letterkenny, Kenny vs Spenny, being a welcoming nation to immigrants and refugees (which is kind of weird cause we don't take in that many refugees but I guess it's something), and lots of world renowned musicians and actors.

Also, I wouldn't really want to be "the friendly version of the USA", and I don't know too many people up here who would like that designation either.

Edit: don't get me wrong, Canada has its fair share of problems as well, but there's like less a sense of total fucking stress up here.

I guess Americans just seem really stressed. Like really really stressed.

41 minutes ago, dingformung said:

they speak Spanish, not French.

A definite point in their favour. Although, they don't speak French in Quebec either.

12 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Another point for the states.

canada doesn't have americans though. so.. well.. i mean.. i guess the ted cruz question is relevant since he's kinda canadian and kinda american right?

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

canada doesn't have americans though. so.. well.. i mean.. i guess the ted cruz question is relevant since he's kinda canadian and kinda american right?

I think not having Celine Dion is one of the best gifts that Canada has ever provided.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

Canada has Celine Dion

She apparently lives full time in Las Vegas so you guys can have her. 

We get to keep Neil Young though

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

She apparently lives full time in Las Vegas so you guys can have her. 

We get to keep Neil Young though

i think that's because she's contracted to live there as the entertainment. she's doing one of those vegas residency things where the person gets millions of dollars to sing 4 nights a week or something. i'm guessing when the contract is up she'll take her vegas money and split. 

13 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

canada is chill & has nice woods, but our state/media propaganda tries way too hard to pass off "passive aggressive version of USA with no sense of telos & weak cultural identity" as "the friendly version of USA" & afa i can tell a large amount of the population buy into it.

I like chill places and nice woods

Edited by dingformung

18 hours ago, chenGOD said:

A definite point in their favour. Although, they don't speak French in Quebec either.

ooooo hoho va chier tabarnak de câlisse ehhhhh 

:nasal vocalization intensifies:

• Like 1

3D6FD5D6-88FD-40E1-88E6-585137565ECB.jpeg

15 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Hopefully she splits to somewhere like Florida or anywhere else that’s going to be underwater soon. 

No thanks, we’re all full up on crazy down here.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

3D6FD5D6-88FD-40E1-88E6-585137565ECB.jpeg

No thanks, we’re all full up on crazy down here.

Harrison, still known as the most racist town in America, despite their “best efforts”.

Celine’s not crazy just somewhat embarrassing. 

• Like 1

as a kid a put modeling glue all over my hands when i was building something. just on a whim almost. i didn't glue my fingers together or glue my hands to anything.. just panicked and then ran my hands under hotwater and soaped up. i feel for this woman who made a bad decision in a moment of epic bad judgement.

i've heard from some ER nurses (extended family, parents of friends) that all kinds of wild and crazy comes into the ER that are a result of bad judgement... not just "hey watch this!" type judgement but "hey i wonder if duct tape is flammable.. let me put some on my hand and light it on fire to find out" 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1