IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

27 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

You really don't see it, do you?

this is a useless sentence containing no information.  you think your "it" is so valuable and self evident that you can write it using merely the word "it".  think again.  if you want your ideas to be read by someone else they have to first be written.  this post is garbage

21 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

this is a useless sentence containing no information.  you think your "it" is so valuable and self evident that you can write it using merely the word "it".  think again.  if you want your ideas to be read by someone else they have to first be written.  this post is garbage

Ok. What I mean to say is:

You are very close minded

You are very tribal 

You are a mere product of your culture and nothing more 

You are not a deep thinker

You are not a compassionate person 

You live in a safety bubble

You have very little life experience and you express no desire to expand upon that 

You are your own worst enemy 

You're unaware of your own ignorance

• Burger 1

it all a language game

every word u use has infinite possible meaning depending on it's location in time-space/context

it's fluid

words cannot be understood, at least on WATMM, yyet they can transform. every word u read literally transforms something in your brain, it's a bio-chemo-spiritual exchange that goes on with or without awareness of that process, or false awareness

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

Ok. What I mean to say is:

You are very close minded

You are very tribal 

You are a mere product of your culture and nothing more 

You are not a deep thinker

You are not a compassionate person 

You live in a safety bubble

You have very little life experience and you express no desire to expand upon that 

You are your own worst enemy 

You're unaware of your own ignorance

you're not saying anything at all about any topics except me, a person you've never met.  i really have no idea why you're posting anything at all.  what does this post have to do with political polarization in the US and the likelihood which treating both sides as equal can help avoid civil war, which is the original statement that started this "discussion" and a topic which you've completely failed to describe your justifications on in detail except make a bunch of statements about how you think I'm too stupid to understand your words?  I'm asking for your justification, you didn't provide it.

Edited by cyanobacteria
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

the internet has intensified the divide but generally yes that's been the trend really since the 90s when culture and religion got into it heavily. everything became a wedge issue. politics became a team sport and people support their team regardless if they even agree w/the party etc. 

people on the right often just want to own the libs. it's not about making good policy it's about making sure the dems lose. and of course people like mitch mcconnell holding up nominations of hundreds of federal judges during obama's presidency so then when trump was elected they all got thru.. but that's another story.. and yes.. personalities are involved along the way who have their own grievances and agendas but it's like all tailor made to bring us where we are. 

but yeah.. generally.. people being able to actually listen and discuss things and admit when the other side has a decent idea or when they got it wrong etc w/o making it personal.. but i mean.. the deck is stacked against us really.. the way the media is set up and so much power in the hands of a few media companies and the daily narratives and take downs of people and issues.. it's all fubar

DA539420-1C04-4AEE-BC1C-16DBB9ED9C02.png

2 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

To clarify:

My mother is English

My father is Australian 

I hold nationality of both, but don't recognize myself as either.

I was born in the UK. At age:

18 months: my family moved to Netherlands (3.5yrs)

Age 5: My family moved to TX (3.5yrs) - local elementary schools

Age 8: My family moved to Myanmar (1yr) - American International School

Age 9: My family moved to Pakistan (2yrs) - American International School

Age 12: My family moved to UK - British Schools

I did not so much as visit UK between age 1-12. I didn't not grow up around British family or culture. I visited Aus a handful of times whilst living in Asia, but I've never lived there.  Instead my friends, teachers, community have been and are from every corner of the planet. I moved to France last year. 

I have no national or cultural identity. Countries and nationalities are a "social construct" (for want of a better term), and they're certainly not static in their cultural identity or existence.

My view of the world comes from having no allegiance to any country, nationality, religion, political viewpoint, and it's not hindered by cultural bias or ignorance of life outside of my legal nationality. I'm culture-less. I've spoken with an English accent and an American accent at various points of my life. 

I have experienced the complexity and nuance of cultures, and know not to paint all people of any nationality, religion, political standpoint with a single brush.

It's because of my variety of experience and lack of cultural identity that I can more objectively analyse cultures that don't match my legal status. I treat people as individuals with life experience different to my own and other people in my life.

I'm more forgiving of viewpoints that might not be acceptable in other cultures I'm familiar with. I understand full well the effect that cultural indoctrination during childhood forms how people view and engage with the world around them, their identity and pack allegiance.

I see beyond culture and seek to connect with the humanity in people that we all share. That's the only way we can resolve conflict that arises as a result of cultural difference.  Compassion; even for those we disagree with. 

We need to find compassion for people whose lives have been different to our own, and understand how their experience has shaped how they understand the world around them. 

Then we can start to have a conversation. The first step comes with softening our own ego.

You aren’t the only member on this forum to have a world view from growing up overseas, but it’s nice to see when we have those mind sets on watmm. Everyone should be so lucky as to view their homeland objectively from afar, at least once in life. We are so heavily indoctrinated with nationalism as children, that can put blinders on adult rationality and objectivity. University is where most young people get their first dose of opposing viewpoints, and unfamiliar religions, cultures, history, etc.  Those that miss out on higher education are really done a disservice, whether it is their doing, or the die is cast against them.

• Like 2

every culture is within every other culture. the east is in the west & the west in the east. cultures are lenses pointing at each other. "the americans" is a function of "the french", "the chinese" is a function of "the dutch". there are building lines pointing in all directions, or resonance axis, even if they are quiet or subtle. it's a kaleidoscope with no entry point that provides no meta level from which you can gain ultimate clarity

21 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

There are two ways to not see something clearly; one is to be too far away, and the other is to be too close. 

just get some fuckin glasses m8

• Big Brain 1

Bipartisanship is dead — Republicans killed it

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/554962-bipartisanship-is-dead-republicans-killed-it

they've been killing it dead for a while now. 

btw. this account tracks all the shit piles in portland and camps and dumps. and crazy window smashing people. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPO7nsMBef-/

Edited by ignatius

18 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

ben shapiro debunks (un)popular leftist myth of transgender ideology less than 10 minutes (using facts and logic)

Is his sister in it?

Also, the world will be a better place of you stop posting garbage clickbait from teh social mediuh.

21 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Is his sister in it?

Also, the world will be a better place of you stop posting garbage clickbait from teh social mediuh.

she isn't.

thanks for the advice- although, not " posting garbage clickbait from teh social mediuh" could deprive the world of seeing us at our best

Edited by Nebraska

5 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

she isn't.

thanks for the advice- although, not " posting garbage clickbait from teh social mediuh" could deprive the world of seeing us at our best

and that would be a good thing. because that way, the best could actually improve. it's regressive to keep in sticking your head in that bucket of nonsense. and unhealthy as well. (or rather, it is depriving!)

57 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

ben shapiro debunks (un)popular leftist myth of transgender ideology less than 10 minutes (using facts and logic)

lil’ Benny just needs some WAP. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

and that would be a good thing. because that way, the best could actually improve. it's regressive to keep in sticking your head in that bucket of nonsense. and unhealthy as well. (or rather, it is depriving!)

to paraphrase this guy: there is so little good done that it's not worth mentioning. hopefully, by highlighting the bad, i can help people stop accepting their situation as normal. 

hope that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Nebraska said:

to paraphrase this guy: there is so little good done that it's not worth mentioning. hopefully, by highlighting the bad, i can help people stop accepting their situation as normal. 

hope that makes sense. 

is your avatar single? asking for a frien...  me. 

• Burger 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

hope that makes sense. 

it makes no sense. although i can understand the intention.

repetition of garbage does not stop people from accepting it being normal. it might be the opposite. especially in the context of social media. repeating false narratives tends to make them grow bigger because the algorithms tend to push these even further.

even if it's done with sarcasm or irony. or rather, intended to be sarcastic or ironical. sarcasm and irony tends to fly over people's heads. and get to be taken seriously. i'm thinking about Q-Anon, for instance.

in a way, you're supporting this negative feedback loop, imo. similar to liking or reposting tweets from Trump in the vain hope that people will understand how ridiculous his tweets are. it only makes it bigger.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Satans Little Helper said:

in a way, you're supporting this negative feedback loop, imo. similar to liking or reposting tweets from Trump in the vain hope that people will understand how ridiculous his tweets are. it only makes it bigger.

7384e6e9d747a5530275f6f57f63df22

https://www.newsweek.com/photo-white-cops-smiling-black-suspect-sparks-outrage-1595324

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/05/26/suspect-all-smiles-following-bank-robbery-arrest/