IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

27 minutes ago, ignatius said:

as for listening to native peoples.. i mean.. it'd be nice if they even had a seat at the table but this isn't the case. 

Yeah precisely. 

On a positive note, the minister of environment in Canada just mentioned how he wants to include Indigenous voices more in regard to conservation and environment. Gives me a bit of hope. But with politicians you never know...

There is at least some improvement in Canada. It is slow but at least its there.

Not as nearly enough as needed tho.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Yeah precisely. 

On a positive note, the minister of environment in Canada just mentioned how he wants to include Indigenous voices more in regard to conservation and environment. Gives me a bit of hope. But with politicians you never know...

There is at least some improvement in Canada. It is slow but at least its there.

Not as nearly enough as needed tho.

anyone curious about indigenous resistance... 

https://sub.media/indigenous-resistance/

lot's of stories at that link. lot's of canada content

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zero said:

I don't really care who anyone listens to, as long as the person doing the teaching/preaching isn't completely full of shit. and that's the problem with politicians running the show. a good 99.9% of them are all self promoting people that think they are always right. even the so called good ones, will at some point not be able to steer through the shit show without hitting some point where they have to bow down and play by the "rules," meaning they will not be able to express what they really think on some topic. that's why they are forced to lie, evade answering simple questions, and so forth. and the completely and totally fucked up thing is - these are the people championed by our society as the "leaders." give me a fucking break. aliens, please come here now. there are a whole bunch of lying assholes on this planet that don't really care about large swaths of the human race, and deserve some good ol' fashioned alien probing up the ass.

didn't Plato say something to the effect that political leaders should be chosen by a certain process from non-volunteers, that basically no-one could or should apply and run for a political leadership position on his own initiative ever? i forgot the exact notion he was suggesting. it's an interesting idea to consider. of course, the scum will never give up power voluntarily, so all alternative ideas become de-facto utopian. so, the real question is -- and is becoming more and more important to the survival of our species -- how do we flush the scum out, and reboot everything?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

so, the real question is -- and is becoming more and more important to the survival of our species -- how do we flush the scum out, and reboot everything?

that's a great question, with a next to impossible answer. as mentioned above, there are plenty of safeguards in place to keep the politicians running the show, which can't be untangled solely through the voting process. I hate to sound all doomsday, but at this point I really think it is going to be some sort of cataclysmic mass casualty event on this planet, which the survivors then get to re-do how human life is governed. OR we keep pushing toward allowing AI tech to "reboot" everything, and allowing hard data to manage the herd. but that would mean that humans become subordinate to the machine decision making process, and humans won't ever bow down to machine rule, because we got the hammers or some shit... 

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxO9AQ14UiT0eUu3Zh3Ytd0Jki9jMYHPWs

this entire video is really interesting as it explains why it has been so imperative for conservatives to overturn roe v wade- but the selected clip above, is what drives this narrative. it might seem obvious, but it's also clear that conservatives aren't all the way dumb. they're just playing dumb.

• Like 3

Australia's 2021 Census data is rolling in and apparently (all denom) Christianity (43.9%, down 8.2% from 2016) and 'no religion' (38.9%, up 8.8%) are converging neck-and-neck. In 2026 'no religion' might overtake as our official leading response to 'what is your religion?'. God bless!

That Christianity figure has halved in a half century (86.2% in 1971). "In 1971 the instruction 'if no religion, write none' was introduced. This saw a seven-fold increase from the previous census year [0.8% in 1966] in the percentage of persons stating they had no religion" (ABS).

Edited by Roo
  • Farnsworth 1

5 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

how do we flush the scum out, and reboot everything?

climate change gonna flush us all out.. or most of us. sadly poor people around the world will be at risk most but generally it'll be turmoil so who knows what'll happen. shit is gonna be upside down. it'll be like laura palmer's funeral but wetter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

Some other points:

Median age is 38. 48.2% have a parent born overseas.

Millennials (Gen Y) and Boomers have drawn level as the largest generation demographic (both about 5.4 million)

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders are 3.2% (an increase), and 167 different First Nations languages are spoken at home by about 10% of them. Their median age also increasing.

5% of households report at least 1 member who has served in the ADF (military). 85K currently serving and 496K formerly served.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

3 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Everything makes me just want to live in an IDM cave forever and never come out. Shit is just too much.

These are wild times to be alive.

it's a shame we all don't have some version of norway near us to go idm cave it up. 

6 hours ago, Nebraska said:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxO9AQ14UiT0eUu3Zh3Ytd0Jki9jMYHPWs

this entire video is really interesting as it explains why it has been so imperative for conservatives to overturn roe v wade- but the selected clip above, is what drives this narrative. it might seem obvious, but it's also clear that conservatives aren't all the way dumb. they're just playing dumb.

jfc. how'd you find that. i tried to watch some of that interview but couldn't stick with it.  why do i feel compelled to stick those 2 people on a catapult and fling them into the ocean?

7 hours ago, zero said:

that's a great question, with a next to impossible answer. as mentioned above, there are plenty of safeguards in place to keep the politicians running the show, which can't be untangled solely through the voting process. I hate to sound all doomsday, but at this point I really think it is going to be some sort of cataclysmic mass casualty event on this planet, which the survivors then get to re-do how human life is governed. OR we keep pushing toward allowing AI tech to "reboot" everything, and allowing hard data to manage the herd. but that would mean that humans become subordinate to the machine decision making process, and humans won't ever bow down to machine rule, because we got the hammers or some shit... 

no, definitely rule out (maybe some pun intended) any kind of AI. First, we're never going to reach the level of AI sophistication needed in a reasonable time (if at all), second, we have no idea what to expect of an AI even if we do. So why, in light of our current experience and situation, should we let the reins of our destiny into something completely unknown to us, and hope that somehow, things turn out ok... It's like we're not learning anything, it's even worse: it's like we forfeit our responsibility completely.

The problem is that to get the critical mass moving, the most dire and hopeless circumstances must arise, and even then, we probably would not come to any sort of agreement how to run things, and just another form despotism will come on top again. we're destined to be ruled by assholes until our demise. lol

6 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Subway restaurant shootout over too much mayo 

Can picture an ex finally exploding in an event over too much mayo just like this, rounds cracking over worktop counters, screaming gammon-faced Karen harpy with an AK kicking off.

22 hours ago, thefxbip said:

I personally have met and spent time with people from some of these Nations in Canada and they certainly were not genocidal bunch of assholes...

Just saying ''meh the noble savage myth'' as a wild card to deny the entirety of the Indigenous various Nations, their knowledge and ways of life is a bit too nihilistic and wont just do it for me.

You might be surprised to learn that people today are not the same as the people of the past, the descendants of the genocidal European colonists are no longer genocidal assholes either, people in general have got less genocidal. The native populations of the Americas practiced widescale human sacrifice, cannibalism, slavery, large scale genocidal warfare, etc (just like every other pre/proto-civilizational society on the planet). The only reason they mostly got wiped out rather than the other way around is the Europeans discovered big boats and guns first.

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

jfc. how'd you find that. i tried to watch some of that interview but couldn't stick with it.  why do i feel compelled to stick those 2 people on a catapult and fling them into the ocean?

i tend to follow some far right peeps, and JT is just one of them. he's one of the original haters who's been doing and saying this kind of stuff for decades and managed to even debate a few islamlic polemicists along the way.

51 minutes ago, caze said:

You might be surprised to learn that people today are not the same as the people of the past, the descendants of the genocidal European colonists are no longer genocidal assholes either, people in general have got less genocidal. The native populations of the Americas practiced widescale human sacrifice, cannibalism, slavery, large scale genocidal warfare, etc (just like every other pre/proto-civilizational society on the planet). The only reason they mostly got wiped out rather than the other way around is the Europeans discovered big boats and guns first.

Fair enough, humans are gonna be humans. Fucked up shit did happened.

But the lands were in near pristine state when europeans arrived. They did take care of the territory.

And some of the tribes lived peacefully.

But the fact that you are so willing to only talk about indigenous society using words like ''widescale human sacrifice, cannibalism, slavery, large scale genocidal warfare'' and calling it pre/proto-civilization makes me wonder if you are not just a bit biased toward the good ol' ''barbarian uncivilized savages'' excuse to destroyed them.

These were not proto-civilizations. They were STRAIGHT UP COMPLETE CIVILIZATIONS. With laws, systems, languages ,cultures and ways of living.

You see those things were and are still used to portray indigenous society as deserving no respect.

I might be biased, i take notice but so are you.

Edited by thefxbip

My point is: of course things were never perfect, but RIGHT NOW Indigenous voices could help us tackle problems like climate change, destruction of biodiversity and political unrest if we listened to them more.

14 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

My point is: of course things were never perfect, but RIGHT NOW Indigenous voices could help us tackle problems like climate change, destruction of biodiversity and political unrest if we listened to them more.

you must of met a really pretty indigenous girl u trying to bang.

• Haha 1

By the way youve heard of this? :

“Within days, the conservative majority on the Supreme Court is expected to hand down a decision that could severely limit the federal government’s authority to reduce carbon dioxide from power plants—pollution that is dangerously heating the planet. But it’s only a start. The case, West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency, is the product of a coordinated, multiyear strategy by Republican attorneys general, conservative legal activists and their funders, several with ties to the oil and coal industries, to use the judicial system to rewrite environmental law, weakening the executive branch’s ability to tackle global warming. Coming up through the federal courts are more climate cases, some featuring novel legal arguments, each carefully selected for its potential to block the government’s ability to regulate industries and businesses that produce greenhouse gases.”

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2022/06/21/the-supreme-court-and-radical-environmental-deregulation/