IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Marco Rubio (GOP presidential candidate)

One of the loudest rounds of applause was for Marco Rubio when he mocked Hillary Clinton, who leads the Democratic field.
"First let me say, I think God has blessed us. He's blessed the Republican Party with some very good candidates. The Democrats can't even find one."

The last sentence is true, but the rest is.....well.....picard facepalm

Not even sure I can take the media seriously anymore. All I hear about is bullshit and the latest wastes of taxpayer dollars.

I feel like an outsider in my own country sometimes. Whatevs.

Euh...you should have already been sure you can't take the media seriously? What!? If you're using your bullshit detector on the media, it should have been overloaded a long time ago. How? Why?

Whatevs

the republican primary debate ...

did they actually ask the candidates if any of them has talked to god yet?

what in the fucking fuckshitfuck

YES. i totally forgot about that question, although to be fair, it was part of the questions from the (conservative) public and asked by an old lady. there was also a lady that said she didn't feel safe in her country anymore. not because of all the guns and shootings etc. but because of isis. rand paul reminded her that if he became president, nobody would be taking his guns away. i imagined that bringing a big sigh of relief on her part

the republican primary debate ...

did they actually ask the candidates if any of them has talked to god yet?

what in the fucking fuckshitfuck

YES. i totally forgot about that question, although to be fair, it was part of the questions from the (conservative) public and asked by an old lady. there was also a lady that said she didn't feel safe in her country anymore. not because of all the guns and shootings etc. but because of isis. rand paul reminded her that if he became president, nobody would be taking his guns away. i imagined that bringing a big sigh of relief on her part

FLOL. I haven't even watched highlights yet, too busy with our own debates (the difference in tone between the Canadian and Republican debates is fucking astounding), but that is some awesome imagery.

I liked the New York Times graph on how much each candidate spoke, and for how long. I note the "Don" spoke the most, and yet I can only assume he said the least.

g-time-spoken-bars-1438919577-desktop.pn

I liked the New York Times graph on how much each candidate spoke, and for how long. I note the "Don" spoke the most, and yet I can only assume he said the least.

the don was smart because he kept the whole thing about himself.

the first question addressed to him from megyn kelly was "you've called women pigs and said they were worthless and some other harsh words. is that the type of person who should be president". his response "i only said those things about rosie o'donnell"

he was reminded he said the same things about other women and that the only time he thought a woman looked attractive was when she was on her knees. his response "look, you clearly can't tell when someone is having a bit of fun. see the problem we have in this country is that we're too politically correct. personally, i don't have time for politically correct. and this country doesn't have time for politically correct" then went on his usual rant about border control and mexico and china winning.

this is exactly the type of fiery rhetoric that conservatives want to hear. he also choose a good moment to be transparent by embracing all the other "candidates" by saying he'd donated to their campaigns and expected favors in return. "did you donate to hilary?" of course. "and what favor did you get from her?" when i called her up and asked her to come to my wedding she had no choice. she had to come.

a few people claimed the don never gave them money but jeb bush's grin was the best. him and rand paul are there to remind people not to vote for them

rubio and maybe huckabee can be said were the most level headed, but you always had trump pulling easter eggs and rand paul getting SUPER pissed off coz everyone was making him look bad (including himself). carson spent 80% of his talk relating politics to surgery since nobody could dispute a neurosurgeon

Edited by Nebraska

I'm watching the debate...

I've never seen such a concentration of anti-labor, anti-science, pro-corporatocracy, anti-enlightment assholes.

Let's kill social security and Obamacare, raise the retirement age, defund all the social programs, neuter the EPA...

Repeal Dodd-Frank?

Euh...you should have already been sure you can't take the media seriously? What!? If you're using your bullshit detector on the media, it should have been overloaded a long time ago. How? Why?

Whatevs

I can never tell whether you're trying to flirt, or...

carson spent 80% of his talk relating politics to surgery since nobody could dispute a neurosurgeon

actually he spent 0% of his time doing that. a quick look through the transcripts shows that he only mentions anything about surgery twice- once in the closing statement, and there he was joking and wasn't comparing politics to surgery, just noting things he had done, and one other time before that when he said:

"...you know, I was asked by an NPR reporter once, why don’t I talk about race that often. I said it’s because I’m a neurosurgeon. And she thought that was a strange response. And you say — I said, you see, when I take someone to the operating room, I’m actually operating on the thing that makes them who they are. The skin doesn’t make them who they are."

there he was just talking about race, and wasn't comparing the issue to surgery in a way that nobody without that background could dispute. it wasn't a metaphor or anything, just a simple statement relating to his experience and ideas about race. nowhere else did he mention surgery. i felt that they gave him probably among the least opportunities to talk out of all the candidates.

yeah i thought that was pretty weird too... if i were forced to guess, it'd have to have something to do with fox and ideas on their part about which of the candidates should be emphasized. i get the impression that fox doesn't like trump, and they thought they'd grill him a bit. yeah they grilled all of them and i feel like that should be done more in these kinds of things. a lot more. they should be held accountable and have to explain things they've done in the past which don't jive with whatever they're saying now. but they seemed, imo, to be coming out with a sharper knives at trump. maybe they gave Kasich more time because of his brand of supposed 'compassionate conservatism' and they wanted that to counterbalance some of the expected shit-show with trump, re: illegals.

i feel like they probably want a more 'centrist' guy like bush to get it (and have since the beginning, and are increasingly frustrated that he hasn't become 'inevitable' like hillary was or seemed to be for a while) and they tried to damage trump a bit by hitting him with some of the harder questions they hit anyone with. and anyone may disagree with that, but i'm sure i personally could find some things that the republican voters were upset with (or would be had they known), with each of those other candidates which could've easily been thrown in their faces but wasn't. just one example off the top of my head is the TPA flip flop from cruz, which anyone who's payed any attention at all would know was the thing that probably hurt cruz with his own supporters the most. why didn't they throw that in his face and ask him to explain that (i would've loved that)? why didn't they hit christie with the bridge scandal/incident? if we dug as far back into the past with the others as they did with trump i'm sure you could find plenty of things that could damage any of those guys if they didn't have a great answer ready.

it seemed to me that fox went after trump in the debate, and it backfired and he ended up using it to get more time to make it about him, with the result of fox actually helping him out. i think even that retarded focus group thing they did at the end was possibly rigged to try to push their ideas about trump onto the viewers. or is it just some miraculous thing that they managed to, purely at random, find a room full of republican voters who all think trump is a terrible candidate, while his polls were showing a completely different story going into the debate, and he said nothing during it that should really change anyone's mind about him. he was himself. he did the same thing that got him up in those polls. imo there's a good chance fox rigged that focus group. and even since the debate you have some reports looking like that the debate didn't hurt trump (contrary to the overwhelming sentiment expressed by their focus group), or maybe even helped him, which should imo make republican voters suspicious of fox. fox's cred should be hurt with them after this debate. imo the whole idea of something like that focus group is like they're treating the people at home as imbeciles who need to see what other imbeciles think about what we all just heard, before or instead of actually applying their own brains to it and just thinking how they feel about what they heard. it looks like total blatant brainwash to me. and with regard to how slanted it was against trump (again, just talking about the focus group thing here), maybe they just randomly grabbed those people, but i have doubts is all i'm saying.

also i think they need to get their shit together if they're going to be hosting these things, and do more to make sure that everyone gets something closer to equal time. start by giving them an equal amount of questions. pretty simple.

Having not watched the republican circus - I'm sure they probably just went after Trump in the hopes that he would say something crazy and soundbite worthy (like he hasn't done that enough already).

Oddly though, I recall reading a comment somewhere online from someone that Kasich would be the next Republican candidate - and I think this was even before he had announced his candidacy. Maybe in a foreign policy article or something.

i'm not totally sure how his polling is here in ohio (i've seen a few saying he'd lose to hillary), but i know that his touting of all the improvements he's made here, is going to fall on some pretty deaf ears. prob literally hundreds of towns/small cities here are basically wasting away into pill slums. my home town seems to have had a serial killer stalking prostitutes in the past year... there weren't pill addicted prostitutes in that town in the 90s. not saying that's his fault (it's been happening for maybe 10-15yrs or more), but he shouldn't be taking credit for fixing something that clearly isn't.

another thing, when he throws out his 5.whatever % unemployment rate figure, that's the same exact dishonest figure Obama uses for the nation. if you just drop people off from being tallied in that figure after they aren't looking for work for like what it is now, 2 weeks? so now you don't call them "unemployed", that's basically just lying about the amount of unemployed people. it's just redefining the word unemployed so that you have a better number to report, and it's really just a flat out lie and should be shouted down as one by the media, if they were honest and doing their actual jobs. but people know it when they look around and it doesn't jive with what they see. so again, i think kasich's stats he throws out (which by the way, also mirror the same 'changes' that happened at the national level, after those stats/numbers were massaged properly, which means he can't attribute any of the supposed 'improvement' in ohio to himself necessarily, anyway) are also going to fall on deaf ears here. we, just like the rest of the country, actually have record low participation in the workforce (aka, to honest people, as 'unemployment'), at the lowest since 78. there's a reason carter didn't get re-elected and that was a big part of it.

i'm sure plenty of left wing type voters and pundits would like to see a guy like kasich (or anyone else they know would lose to hillary) get the R nomination but unfortunately for them it's not their decision to make (unless they go out in droves and vote at the republican primary (which wouldn't surprise me)).

Edited by MisterE

Maybe kasich is gonna be the centrist republican? A lot of democrats (that's "libruls" to you Mystery) are not happy with Hilary

As an aside, you don't have a "left wing" in American politics.

Anyone get the thought that maybe Trump is a shill for the GOP? Think about it. Pay the dude a good sum of money to say what every racist, reactionary idiot would think and garner attention towards the debates. Turn that dude down, and you have a (by comparison) sane group of people that are normally viewed as on the slight side of insane. Get the base of voters you want riled up and saddle them with the best figure head - worked for Obama and keeping Bush in office. And those are just in my lifetime.

I dunno. Something really, really fake about all of it. Aside from the fact that the USA is a walking joke when it comes to 'democracy'. I cannot believe people still care like it actually matters whether or not you care or don't. Steaming about political and social strife (or lack thereof) and just itching to let people know their independent thought that is nothing more than just a regurgitated monologue of the same useless diatribe. It's a trigger finger reaction to perceived superiority or idealism that they, as an individual, hold to be correct, moral, ethical, ect.

I, as an American, couldn't care less about any of this besides wanting it to stop entirely. Nothing will change, the rhetoric and 'us and them' mentality only serves to divide until you realize that like anything, it's a construct that only gains as much ground as you let it. I know this opinion faces scrutiny with the fact that it is apathetic and that to some it hurts more to not care than to care and do what you can... but fuck that. None of it will change until that horrid view and this idea of militant manufactured individuality ends. I have prosperity and happiness at this current moment and in the foreseeable future, if that all comes down due to some horrible global event or terrorist attack that we're convinced is supposed to happen - so be it. Nothing I can do or think will ever change the current of the tides in the ocean or human arrogance. Just gotta be happy and remember that any person around me, however they choose to believe and feel is just what they have come to believe in their short snippet and individualistic take on the human experience. So long as those actions don't physically harm me or anyone while I'm around, think whatever you want.

Sorry for the rant. Feeling odd tonight. Watched this shit (GOP debate) and just couldn't believe it was real. Depressing really.

Edited by Audioblysk

Don't apologize for expressing your opinions. I'm fucking sick of people hesitant to express an unpopular opinion because of goddamn hipster troll rebuttles. If you can't deal with reality, then you shouldn't be on the internets. WATMM will always be a forum for free speech. So says me. Lol

@chen

from a wiki:

In the United States after Reconstruction, the phrase "the Left" was used to describe those who supported trade unions, the civil rights movement and the anti-war movement.[18][19] More recently in the United States, left-wing and right-wing have ---> often <--- been used as synonyms for Democratic and Republican, or as synonyms for liberalism and conservatism respectively.[20][21][22][23]

not that you didn't already know who i was talking about when i said 'left wing type voters'. everyone understands what is being said when the phrases 'left wing' or 'left of center' or 'right wing/right of center' or even 'center' itself (which you used, and which is a relative concept that couldn't exist without something to either side, making your post self-contradictory), when those phrases are used thousands of times per day, by politicians, pundits, and others in the media, and regular run of the mill people. those phrases turn up tens of millions of google hits. whether you want it to be a thing or not isn't really relevant to whether it is. and this is beside the fact that 'right wing' is thrown around here pretty frequently and you don't seem to have any problem with that.

and yes i'm aware that a lot of "libruls" aren't happy with hillary. but largely it's because she's not far enough LEFT for them. hillary is out there now, trying to appear more liberal (notice the article calls sanders 'left-wing') to prevent sanders from wooing them. obviously kasich is putting himself out there as centrist, but so what? he'd have the same problem in the general election, with people further right not being too thrilled to come out and vote for him. and there's more i could say about that, but excuse me i have to go have sex with my sisters and drink some moonshine, then i gotta go load my trusty six shooter, my shotguns, go huntin fer varmints and lost city folk aka "libruls" to eat. right after i find my banjo. (as an aside- fuk u)

Don't apologize for expressing your opinions. I'm fucking sick of people hesitant to express an unpopular opinion because of goddamn hipster troll rebuttles. If you can't deal with reality, then you shouldn't be on the internets. WATMM will always be a forum for free speech. So says me. Lol

And they made you a moderator? I can see why it took so long for chunky to get banned with you on board.

*this bit of free speech reality was posted with Moderator Approvaltm*

chunky got banned?

Terrible, I know right? No pure free speech on this board apparently. Some people just can't deal with reality imo. At least he never apologized, that's pretty great.

no pure free speech? i'll be got-damned. sounds like good ole fashioned right wing fascism to me.

Used to think Trump was a "shill for the GOP". The joke made in one of those White House Correspondents diners "I thought Trump was running as a joke" perfectly summed up how I used to think.

This year however, he seems pretty focussed on actually running. At least, in my eyes. The GOP probably still think he's a useful joke which attracts lots of attention. But he's getting a lot of airtime this time. Much more than he used to, I believe. And he's hurting the "serious" contestants in the polls. If this is GOP strategy, which I seriously doubt, I don't think it's a smart strategy. Putting Trump next to Jeb Bush on a stage, makes Jeb seem like an uninteresting wallflower. There aren't many candidates which can hold a candle to Trumps charisma. Christie, Paul, Kasich. But the rest pales, imo.

I do think Carson is used as the "black token" by the GOP, btw. I had really no idea what he was doing on that stage. With Trump I get the feeling that although he lacks serious political skills/experience, he does know how to negotiate. Carson however... nothing. He's got nothing to offer, except being different than the rest.

O, and in the odd chance that Trump actually does win the ticket, I'm sure he's able to convince people he's able to compensate his lack in political skills with attracting good people supporting him in the White House. And because he's as a-political as one can get (he doens't care about party lines), I'm assuming he wouldn't care whether people are republican or democrats or independents. Which might actually a good thing, imo. He'll just be running a business. In the most amoral way possible.

If Obama won because he was the complete opposite to Bush, Trump might win this time, being a complete opposite to Obama (without being a Bush!). While Obama wanted to build bridges based on some moral fundament, Trump just wants to run a business. And the only moral Trump knows, is that whatever is good for business is good.

I don't think Clinton will win the 2016 election, btw. And I don't see any other Democrat beating Clinton. Clinton is the new Al Gore. Whenever she opens her mouth on a stage, people either phase out or get annoyed regardless of content. I don't think she can convince people on an emotional level. Intellectually perhaps, but presidents don't win because of their intellect.

i dont think the RNC likes trump but they feel forced into 'being nice' (as trump says) to him, for fear that he'll run independent and tank their chances. it's almost like he's holding them hostage. as far as carson, if he's 'token' anything it's not for the GOP, it's for the voters, who it seems pretty clear to me are the only reason he got on that stage, because some of them like him. to get in that debate the candidates needed good polling numbers. imo it's a good thing that people still have some chance to get on a stage like that because of that kind of grass-roots support. so maybe he's the token black for the conservative voters, but it seems to me like they actually like what he has to say. i saw a few polls suggesting that his popularity may have went up some due to that debate, also. if the GOP/RNC were allowed to just step in and pick their guy (without having to worry about trump), it'd almost surely be bush, or maybe rubio.

I think the GOP candidates are so bad that there is no way the entire thing isn't orchestrated to ensure the a democrat wins, therefore leaving control of the USA, and by extension the world, in the hands of whomever is orchestrating this bit of nonsense.