IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Internet 15 years ago: Woops, this .avi you downloaded from Kazaa is an intentionally mislabelled video of someone getting beheaded.

Internet now: TRIGGER WARNING, this article mentions a comedian who made a joke about rape once.

lol

less anglo saxon than before. 'waycist' fact for you. that means a future of: no king james bible, magna carta, habeus corpus. but we're going to miss these old unfashionable things like we'd miss our arms and legs if they were cut off from our bodies.

we're idiots. poofter antics and skin colour? which other animal in the world is obsessed with these trivialities!? a gay kid killed himself over a video? he chose to do that!

whats coming is usa nato vs russia china etc (gog and magog stitch up)

moses, read moses, the kings, the prophets, the laws of moses, the commandments

it's going to be more useful than you currently realise

lol chunky gone wild.

Internet 15 years ago: Woops, this .avi you downloaded from Kazaa is an intentionally mislabelled video of someone getting beheaded.

Internet now: TRIGGER WARNING, this article mentions a comedian who made a joke about rape once.

I need xxx' lady in my bed pronto.

Congrats on finding such unappealing photos of all 3. :catcry:

:nope: favouring the stick insects, I see

Yeah, something about people whose bodies reflect that they eat healthy & exercise is really appealing to me.

lisa-aukland.jpg

:crazy:

:cisfor:

There should of been a spoiler alert on this pic.

For the record, and a day late, I'm on the same page with xxx, usagi, and chim.

Edited by joshuatx

i perceive them as a mixture between the tv show horders and doomsday preppers :) joking

as a matter of fact the US was the last place I wanted to travel to but I was lured by burning man a few years back so stopped off in a few cities on my way. i thought since we were brought up on US entertainment I had a grasp of the country but honestly i was amazed at the beauty of the country and how welcoming and open people were. even more so in canada.

it is hard to be supportive of the US when you are outside as all you hear about is edward snowden expose, wikileaks expose, gfc, overhyped nationalism, fox news, pharmaceutical companies and other large corporations with too much power, mass shootings, no gun control, war on tv. it just looks like too much power in the wrong hands.

it is hard to take a high stance coming from australia as we are in the shadow and always there to help in any diabolical plot just so earn some tickets and our current government is probably worse

Edited by Luka

I see the US like a sort of almost grown up person (round 23) that used to be a little rich spoiled brat and a bully. He doesn't get what's wrong with him, because he was always doing what he thought was right and how they taught him back home. Now he's a bit broke, doing drugs or getting treatment and has no clear view of the future. There's a busted student loan already in this person's past, but he can't really care, because of all the everyday issues he has to deal with.

He's got an awesome sense for humor while he's drunk and he's a genius potential on lots of fields, but is too sloppy to fulfill it with hard work.

A bit symbolic and very much only my perspective but there it is.

To my recollection every other link on forums used to be either goatse or tubgirl. Good times..

I see the US like a sort of almost grown up person (round 23) that used to be a little rich spoiled brat and a bully. He doesn't get what's wrong with him, because he was always doing what he thought was right and how they taught him back home. Now he's a bit broke, doing drugs or getting treatment and has no clear view of the future. There's a busted student loan already in this person's past, but he can't really care, because of all the everyday issues he has to deal with.

He's got an awesome sense for humor while he's drunk and he's a genius potential on lots of fields, but is too sloppy to fulfill it with hard work.

A bit symbolic and very much only my perspective but there it is.

That's a nice description for some aspects but not all. I think the biggest change has been the divide between the people who have been in power, who have certain views on the world and how the world got there, and all the other people who were dropped in that world at some point later on, and don't know how the old world was supposed to work. It's not an age difference as much as education difference. Basically government, think tanks, various non-profits and politican science people, along with some economists have a very theoretical view of the world. Meaning of democracy, of capitalism, of state functions, etc, while a lot of activists, journalists, conspiracy theorists and others (not to put them all in the same bin they are not), are not educated on the underlying systemic stuff and therefore blame people and conspiracies (conspiracies as in group efforts to rip off one group for personal gain) for what is going wrong. This is not just happening in the US but in a lot of places, and Snowden for example really heightened the momentum even more. I'm not going to blame either side but I think there is a compromise that has to be made somewhere in the middle. When a lot of libertarians and anarchist types spout free market idealism, I'm not sure they understand the consequences of it. The constant push for free markets and less state intervention would lead to even more dire circumstances I think, and it's come to the point that by simply saying that, I will be labeled a naive statist who fundamentally haven't understood what they meant.

If anything, the US is the land of extreme ideologies. Extremes everywhere, and it is because of the freedoms they have. It may sound crazy to say this, but I think people in the federal government and in the think tanks are the most neutral and down to earth, even though they steer heavily in the globalization and business path (and for good reason, looking at the huge standard of living across the world). The fact that globalization and "world peace" is severely stressed right now and on the way to becoming ruined in the long run is really dangerous and shit. And I say this full well knowing of monsanto and clothing companies slave labor and environmental destruction etc.

The real debate facing the whole world I think is how do we keep our standard of living, how globalized should we be, who is responsible for the mass consumption that corporations profit from, and is there any sense at all to this constant growth economy, if not how do we get a better system while maintaining standard of living? There are tons of upsides to everything that has occurred in the past decades and I think the US is really good at promoting this, but it's all so extreme now, it's almost impossible to have a nuanced discussion

Edited by coax

Edit: Oh and there's of course a vast and complex dynamic playing out between people and technology, both in terms of surveillance but also in terms of labor and work and innovation. This is a big and hard problem and the officials cure at the moment is "education", which basically is most of what they can do. Unless legislators change laws to forbid certain technologies or movements of labor etc. Again very difficult.

To my recollection every other link on forums used to be either goatse or tubgirl. Good times..

Yeah, using the internet was a basically constant game of trying to trick people into getting goatse'd. It was even a commonly used verb. Predates the rickroll by a good half a decade.

not telling the whole story but it's interesting that the US is second on the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

(it'd be interesting to see list of countries by arrest rate)

second:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

Good ol America, I thought having a gun pulled on me while getting gas would be the low point of 2014, not so! Pulled out in my car this morning to see a crowd gathered around a dead person on the sidewalk. No coroner, just people poking the body and throwing trash at it. I'm ready to leave now.

Good ol America, I thought having a gun pulled on me while getting gas would be the low point of 2014, not so! Pulled out in my car this morning to see a crowd gathered around a dead person on the sidewalk. No coroner, just people poking the body and throwing trash at it. I'm ready to leave now.

omg what city are you living in?

Yep. Happens in every town.