Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Boards of Canada

Boards of Canada - Hardware Addicts
De:Bug 03 interview, 26.01.2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Moebius_*

Guest_Moebius_*
  • Guests
  • 134 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

Another old piece I came across recently, this interview of Michael Sandison by the German magazine De:Bug. Hadn't seen it before and it's not on Fredd's site. Babelfish does a passable job of translating it, but a manual translation would be nice if anyone on here knows German.

#2 Guest_crazymonk_*

Guest_crazymonk_*
  • Guests
  • 746 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Moebius @ May 19 2006, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another old piece I came across recently, this interview of Michael Sandison by the German magazine De:Bug. Hadn't seen it before and it's not on Fredd's site. Babelfish does a passable job of translating it, but a manual translation would be nice if anyone on here knows German.

"What is the topic of this film?

Ms: It will be in the process probably a Roadmovie, in addition, seized rather far. It should be a Roadmovie in five parts and that is already everything that we know for the moment."

More references to the road movie. I wonder if 1.TCH was their way of giving up on releasing the above film.

#3 lumpenprol

lumpenprol

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

The babelfish translation makes this so damn funny. Choice quotes:

Mike:
We use at all no computers. Each time, if we try to make something with a PC or a Mac we simply only problems and it nervt. Incoming goods like hardware. Much of our equipment looks in such a way, as if it could in a large factory. Incoming goods like knobs. Big things with knobs and dial.

Mike:
Our music is rather Daytime Music contrary to Nighttime Music. If we could ausuchen ourselves, by whom and where our music is heard, then would be it probably from well slightly drunk person humans on a sunny day somewhere in the free one. That`s the situation when I`am writing stuff.

Also this interview seems to support an idea I've had for a while, that Mike writes most of the tunes and Marcus does most of the quality control/production (despite their saying in another interview it was 50/50).

#4 Guest_Moebius_*

Guest_Moebius_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

A good bit, paraphrased a bit from the babelfish translation:

Where are the advantages with the work as duo?

MS: Definitely quality control. Some artists, whom I will not name here, often publish simply too much and too average material. If they had a partner, then could say to them: I understand why you made that, but it's simply shit. So we do that. Actually, we produce a large quantity of tracks, most of which I write and then Marcus tells me what he thinks of them. We must both decide they're good enough before others hear them.

Too true, too true. That's one of the downsides of the bedroom production revolution imho.

#5 yek

yek

MIDI received.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,185 posts
  • Joined 14-March 02

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

good read. a little difficult though

he says at the end that he'd like the music to be heard in the day in a field slightly drunk lol, that would be cool

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Boards of Canada