IGNORED

remove

Guest boo

chenGOD, on 12 Jan 2015 - 4:35 PM, said:

fenton, on 12 Jan 2015 - 3:47 PM, said:

you were in buma for a month or so right?

novelty soon runs off. travelled up to laos recently where it was cold and i was like omg relieved.

not to mention moscow airport, 4 hour layover i spent on the smoking deck shivering for fun.

it's the change in weather that i like about the uk, seasons etc, no real extremes in the south, never _really_ cold or _too hot_ [despite what everyone says]

which makes the passage of time have its ups and downs... seeing people refer to albums on here as 'winter albums' etc when all i have is sweltering tropical humidity, would be less depressed out in the cold rain waiting for a bus than knowing exactly how long each hot day or night will be all year round

not sure i want to be in a country with either extreme cold or extreme hot either

fuck extremes bring me mediocrity

I was in Burma for four months. Loved it. Fine if that's not enough - I lived in South Korea for 10 years where the summers got hot and humid much like in SE Asia, and I loved them all the time. Yes air conditioning is a necessity at times, but I'll take 12 months of heat over 12 months of shitty grey skies and rain any day of the week. Coming back to the cold, rainy winter in Vancouver (and Vancouver is not cold by any stretch for Canada) sucked balls.

If you want to escape the heat, travel up north in Burma into Shan state (I don't think there's any fighting going on there, so should be a relatively easy-peasy trip). Very cool up there in the plateaus, lovely scenery and great food.

Wow, time flies when you're reading watmm.

don't get me wrong i love the heat but i miss the change in seasons is all i'm saying. lived in macau for a year and i guess its climate is like korea? anyway i could dig that more than this close the equator.. there is a 3 degree change in mean daytime temp all year round, 26-29 o C, and it's 12 hours light 12 hours dark all year. totally lost it's appeal for me.. i'm going to go check out some mountains next week, probably malasyia as i'm a bit skint post festivity period and burma waits till i have a bit more money and time saved up :) i will ask you for recommends.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

newcastle gets pretty fucking cold...but yeah, generally london is quite mild really...only places to get consistant "proper" winters are in the hills/mountains - so places on the penines, highlands, snowdonia, south downs, north yorkshire moors etc...

Flol, just thought I'd check in on the 'England' thread and there's a bunch of idm chaps having a casual chat about the weather :w00t: . The conversation always eventually revolves round to the weather. It's the law!! Hah :biggrin:

I forgot the other thing I like about England: the weather is so all over the place, there's no chance of getting any of the nasty creepy crawlies other countries get (looking at you Australia). England's too shitty weather wise to support any lifeform that is unable to wear a scarf and/or winter coat with hood.

we have wasps, bees, adders, but they all seem to be disappearing.....as have really hardcore winter snows. 2010/11 was the last proper winter here, when it dumped a fuck load just b4 xmas...i remember cos i was stuck in heathrow's internal tented village full of completely irate Brits trying not act like it & remaining just about polite with each other. You could've made a genius comedy of manners play about that.

UK weather, where would i be w/out thee? Its a world away from gloomy grey skies all the time. I was driving across the Severn Bridge last week, the sun was out, not a cloud in the sky and i could see for miles n miles either side north/south down the estuary. Equally, its why Pink Floyd's "Fat Old Sun" resonates so strongly for me, because it absolutely nails the mood of peak time summer/solstice/undulating meadows lying in the grass stoned.

you have to leave Britain for a period to then return in order to fully love it for all its faults.

the decline of pubs these days though, with those that've remained open attracting more & more drunkard psychopaths.......thats a whole other story

they've caught onto the US craze for craft beers in recent years, but my olde local in Nottingham is now a fuckin Sainsburys.

may Satan rape that company's profit margin forevermore.

you're taking your life in your hands with some places though, eg: drinking in Glasgow's east end

i moved a fuckin bee hive yesterday and a couple of guards came to have a look but they were too dozy to do anything cause the temperature was dropping. england must have something going for it cause those bees don't like the cold but they're making the effort to stay here and survive.

When I worked at a pizza place, we found a huge beehive in a storage shed we hardly used. Must have made the nest over the summer, but luckily we found it in the winter.

Smashed the fucking shit out of that one.

they've caught onto the US craze for craft beers in recent years, but my olde local in Nottingham is now a fuckin Sainsburys.

you're taking your life in your hands with some places though, eg: drinking in Glasgow's east end

Hang on a tick - caught on in recent years? What in the hell are real ales then, and why was I drinking them in Cornwall in 2000?

Hang on a tick - caught on in recent years? What in the hell are real ales then, and why was I drinking them in Cornwall in 2000?

craft ales more hipster than real ale

craft ales more hipster than real ale

Maybe to those faux lumbersexual hipsters.

;)

And to my shame, I didn't realize how long CAMRA has been around - since 1971!!!

no idea chap

and yes to the distinction between the CAMRA real-ale beardies & the hipster beardies importing booze.

been to a few places recently (The Lion in Nottingham best eg), where they have an unreal amount of real-ale, ciders & even a list of perry/pear-ciders which are LUSH, and i dont really drink these days. They also had a wee something called Dreamcatcher, an ale which was a whoppin 8+%

I've traveled/semi-lived in hot countries. Where every day is the same. Month after month after month of burning hot sun. Trust me it gets on your nerves after a while. You start praying for maelstroms pretty soon. Seasons are a wonderful thing. Not just burning hot and dry or burning hot and wet. Or just burning hot full stop.

Fuck that.

Buckfast is actually amazing, until you end up being unable to deal with the palpitations and perpetual overhang of fear and anxiety on the comedown. But I had a glorious 2 and half years drinking a few bottles of that a weekend. Most of my close friends i met while sharing a crate of bucky.

Archived