IGNORED

New Adam Curtis documentary

Dale

Watching Can't Get You Out of My Head (2021).
It's kind of ok I guess, but it's just all over the place imo.
One has to constantly juggle multiple events/subjects, whilst learning what they have in common and why.
I really really wish each historic event/subject would have gotten its own episode, because they're all very interesting, and maybe with a final episode bringing all of them together.
I loved The Century of the Self (2002) and Bitter Lake (2015), but this one is not my cup of tea unfortunately.

This is on my watch list, maybe one for tonight. I like Curtis, despite his faults, I'll always find something useful to pick up and explore. Century of the Self and All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace have always been the ones I've returned to the most. 

2 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

It's kind of ok I guess, but it's just all over the place imo.
One has to constantly juggle multiple events/subjects, whilst learning what they have in common and why.

Your comment reminded me of this parody video of Curtis' style

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Haha 2

Speaking of the theme of simplifying cognition and control: ever notice how Adam Curtis is actually expanding the first 12 minutes of the movie "Magnolia" into like a 17 hour canon?

Also..."and I know you're gonna dig this-thi-this"...Curtis essentially made a documentary that supports Jordan Peterson's overall thesis. It's because everybody is drinking from the same wells (Jung, Kahneman, Skinner, Freud, et al). Bring on the burgers, Picards and Farnsworths.

Edited by xxx
hot takes

2 hours ago, xxx said:

Curtis essentially made a documentary that supports Jordan Peterson's overall thesis.

Is this "Cant Get You Out of My Head"? Haven't watched it yet - no time. Also, does JBP have a cogent overall thesis?

• 2 weeks later...