IGNORED

Sony Introduces 1000.00USD Audiophile Walkman

Joyrex

I mix almost all music at 24bit/44.1khz and broadcast/theatre mixes at 24bit/48khz. I've never had anyone, in 10 years, ask me if I mixed at any specific bit rate/sample rate or complained about audio quality.

This audiophile stuff is, IMO, BS. I'm even hearing the opposite these days - that cassettes are the best for audio quality for warmth and all that pseudo-acoustic stuff.

Yeah I've spun out 320kbps mp3s on huge soundsystems and nobody has ever said "hey I could tell that one track wasn't a FLAC".

The tape & vinyl resurgence makes me lol because it basically amounts to people who don't know shit about sound science saying "it sounds better because it sounds worse". Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

192kHz / 24bit audio playback of compatible files, as well as the added benefit of any streaming service that is available for Android. yes please.

Damnit, I can get so close on my phone - It knows what it is, and it knows how long it should be but, silence....

jsdkwx.jpg

the phone hardware will be limiting you there :(

I mix almost all music at 24bit/44.1khz and broadcast/theatre mixes at 24bit/48khz. I've never had anyone, in 10 years, ask me if I mixed at any specific bit rate/sample rate or complained about audio quality.

This audiophile stuff is, IMO, BS. I'm even hearing the opposite these days - that cassettes are the best for audio quality for warmth and all that pseudo-acoustic stuff.

Yeah I've spun out 320kbps mp3s on huge soundsystems and nobody has ever said "hey I could tell that one track wasn't a FLAC".

The tape & vinyl resurgence makes me lol because it basically amounts to people who don't know shit about sound science saying "it sounds better because it sounds worse". Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

That's the thing - it's a subjective quality. I'll agree that 24bit/192khz sounds crystal clear on high-quality monitors. I'll also agree that hitting hard to tape can give a nice audio quality. People can have a preference over many different recording/playback techniques. But the audiophile is suckered into pseudo-BS with the idea that there is a perfect way to listen to audio.

Now, if there were headphones that streamed from your home audio setup... that would make more sense.

how it would make more sense? how would higher resolution than the official cd quality (44.1k/16bit) for a playback make more sense?

Well, if you MUST have higher than CD quality... some people swear they can hear the difference! :rolleyes:

192kHz / 24bit audio playback of compatible files, as well as the added benefit of any streaming service that is available for Android. yes please.

Damnit, I can get so close on my phone - It knows what it is, and it knows how long it should be but, silence....

jsdkwx.jpg

Is there no android app that plays flacs or wavs?

That's the thing - it's a subjective quality. I'll agree that 24bit/192khz sounds crystal clear on high-quality monitors. I'll also agree that hitting hard to tape can give a nice audio quality. People can have a preference over many different recording/playback techniques. But the audiophile is suckered into pseudo-BS with the idea that there is a perfect way to listen to audio.

Well then they're not actually an audiophile, right? :catface:

I can totally see using that to add texture to a work in progress, I'm more talking about fools thinking a tape or record is the ideal way to listen to music produced & mastered on a computer.

Now, if there were headphones that streamed from your home audio setup... that would make more sense.

how it would make more sense? how would higher resolution than the official cd quality (44.1k/16bit) for a playback make more sense?

Well, if you MUST have higher than CD quality... some people swear they can hear the difference! :rolleyes:

yes. crazy people that knows nothing about audio :tongue:

24bit/192khz audio is still a thing? jesus fucking hell. do yourselves a favor and run an abx test comparing flac and 320kbps mp3 (you will not spot a difference) and forget about this hi fidelity bullshit.

Well then they're not actually an audiophile, right? :catface:

I can totally see using that to add texture to a work in progress, I'm more talking about fools thinking a tape or record is the ideal way to listen to music produced & mastered on a computer.

Yes, I know and also agree with the distinction.

jsdkwx.jpg

Google Play Music handles FLACs and WAVs, and so do quite a few other Android music players, it's just they can't playback 192kHz files due to hardware limitations.

I doubt any Android phone out there can output higher than 48kHz files, but that is just a guess on my part.

Google Play Music handles FLACs and WAVs, and so do quite a few other Android music players, it's just they can't playback 192kHz files due to hardware limitations.

I doubt any Android phone out there can output higher than 48kHz files, but that is just a guess on my part.

I wonder what the actual limitations of a high end android would be.

the original walkman from 79 was only $150 when it was released... that's around $470 today... so this thing is over twice the price of the flagship model, and has maybe 1/20th of the innovation... gimme a break sony.

Probably it's amp, D/A converters and general lack of snake oil.

@chassis

Off topic, but do Sony's phones generally sound better than the average Android handset? This is the only area where I'm not totally satisfied with the Nexus 5.

Sony supposedly bypasses the Android audio stack, so I would imagine so (from what I've read; no personal experience)

Guest bitroast

I'd rather have a Pono.

the pono wouldn't be such a bad device if the design and shape of it was not literally the worst shape possible for a pocket.

its like they sat around a table and tried to figure out how to make the device take up most space possible. make it bold like a statement or something?? I have no idea. its a dumb shape though for a music player.

Hah yeah, I read through the AAA thread again recently and had a little zole at Ae saying that they record everything in 44.1khz

I'm a cassette fanboy but I'm scratching my head at the idea of them being best for audio quality. Chrome tapes in a Nakamichi sound lovely, but that's still not superior to lossless or vinyl.

Totally, though each group is a bit different. In general vinyl nuts seem to be snobbier and snottier, cassette fans more delusional and misinformed.

Actually, that's only regarding the recent bandwagon folks. A lot of yupsters seem to be buying overly expensive turntables so they can buy, I dunno, Random Access Memories needlessly. Likewise young clueless kids are flocking to tapes recently. A lot of older or more underground oriented cassette fans shake our heads at the silly tape reissues that are $10. With the small exception of some niche audiophiles and engineers, tape has never been about quality first.

the original walkman from 79 was only $150 when it was released... that's around $470 today... so this thing is over twice the price of the flagship model, and has maybe 1/20th of the innovation... gimme a break sony.

Archived